*Creating Power*

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Uh...#7 was very funny, and ya gots me on that one...or do I just have an evil mind?

As for the second point, well, maybe you can punch hard while you're inhaling, but I get the old reverse kiai effect...kinda like the Thermidorians in "Galaxy Quest."

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's what happens when there's too much tension in the rest of your body. If your body is relaxed while punching, you could inhale just as easily as exhale on a strike. Also think of your arm as a whip and not a battering ram when punching and see what happens.

:p

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Well, sure, I guess.

Hate to sound excessively miffed, but I don't believe I used the idea of the arm as a battering ram. I think, in fact, that the whole point of not inhaling (unless you're Clinton...come to think of it, given his later adventures with Monica, the inhaling/exhaling pattern becomes kinda interesting, if you get my drift about which way the wind's blowing) as you strike is so that the arm doesn't "stiffen," prematurely.

Still--kiai while you inhale?

I'm glad Freud's dead, so he can't read this.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did that, it was my way illustrating what I mean.

Why kiai? What is the purpose that it really serves? I figure after being in MA for almost 30 years now I better start asking questions that have been on my mind for a while now.

:asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Klondike93
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did that, it was my way illustrating what I mean.

Why kiai? What is the purpose that it really serves? I figure after being in MA for almost 30 years now I better start asking questions that have been on my mind for a while now.

I do hope you're joking about not knowing what a KIAI is for, if not, you've wasted 30 years. It's prevalent in many other activities such as tennis, weightlifting, canoeing etc. , it's not unique to the martial arts. Those athletes may not know the KIAI by that name but they do know what it does.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good answer Clyde, I know what it is, but what's it used for? What is the true purpose of it in creating power? Can you achieve the same results without it?

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Klondike93
Good answer Clyde, I know what it is, but what's it used for? What is the true purpose of it in creating power? Can you achieve the same results without it?

Let me say that the KIAI has stood the test of time and trial by combat, at least with me. I believe the answer you seek is explained by buoyancy. As you inhale you tend to float into the technique, exhaling tends to ground you, or basically sink into the action, thereby utilizing all your mass in the strikes. Can't say if it works on the inhale but I'll give it a go, I've never tried.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I was currious because I've heard a lot of people say it helps give you more power and yet with Bruce Lee's 1-inch punch he never made a sound. He just moved and the person he hit went flying. No real big movement with the hips, drawing the arm back etc, just the punch. So there in lies my interest in why the kiai.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
While proper body mechanics are vital in generating power, you still need to strengthen the muscles. I get alot of flack from people that I train with that say "lifting is a waste of time", "it makes you inflexible and slow", and other such nonsense. To help create power, a person that is so inclined can do so whith working the core of the body. For me, powerifting, or doing the squat, bench, and deadlift for a 4 or 5 week cycle of high intensity, low weight, and high reps (10 to 20) to strengthen the ligaments, get proper form worked into the muscle memory, and condition the muscle for HEAVIER THINGS TO COME. Then an 8 week cycle of moderate weight, moderate intensity, and medium,(6 to 10) reps, 8 week cycle of low intensity, low reps (3 to 6), and heavy weights. The squat, bench and deadlift, are compound movements and not only work muscle, ligaments, and actually work at building the skeletal system but doing these lifts with HEAVY weights also condition the central nervous system. These lifts with 2 accessory exercises per lift is sufficient for building strength, power, and mass, which is not a bad thing. Also, a regular stretching regiment will help generating power.
Personally, kenpo has saved my life, as well as powerlifting and a NO CARB DIET. I will never win any physique competitions, but have lost 265 pounds due to kenpo, lifting and diet. All my lifts are far stronger now since losing the weight, then when I was over 500 pounds.

Hope this helps.
Gary Catherman

OP
K

kenpoevolution

Exhaling while striking serves several purposes:

1) as mensioned before, it helps to settle your body weight

2) the sound of your exhale can scare your opponent and make them lose their focus

3) exhaling provides rhythm and focus to a series of moves

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I watched a show on Bruce Lee once and I took what he talked about to heart. He talked about how water both crashes and flows. You can use this in generating power. You figure out which are major and minor moves in whatever you are doing. Then you take priciples that we have all learned such as Marriage of Gravity, and borrowed force and you incorperate that also. Everytime you hit hard you wait until the last second to tense everything all your muscles. And you must breathe, exhale when you strike, leave nothing behind. Everytime you hit you don't focus on the front of the target but on the back. Most of these things came from Bruce Lee and they work.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been reading on other threads that perhaps it is possible to increase power by slowing your strike down. Does this make sense to anyone?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
I've been reading on other threads that perhaps it is possible to increase power by slowing your strike down. Does this make sense to anyone?

I see slowing yourself down as an effective way to increase your power only because you become more aware of correct timing and mechanics. I would not say that a slower punch is more powerful than a faster punch.

Meanwhile, I attribute generating power to the strength and speed of the limb, the rotational force of the body, and the forward momentum of the body, all applied within the parameters of correct timing and distance.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Spinal waves and the release of tension from antagonist muscle groups.

The bruises are still fading from all the spinal waves I was on the receiving end of this past weekend at Vlad's seminar.

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kalicombat
Personally, kenpo has saved my life, as well as powerlifting and a NO CARB DIET. I will never win any physique competitions, but have lost 265 pounds due to kenpo, lifting and diet. All my lifts are far stronger now since losing the weight, then when I was over 500 pounds.

Hope this helps.
Gary Catherman

A hearty congratulations Gary!!! That is an amazing accomplishment. That's the sort of thing people need to hear when good people, such as Dr. Atkins, are being bashed as they are right now. I know I feel my best when I am eating somewhere in between Atkins and The Zone (good proteins, relatively small amount of low-glycemic carbs).

Congrats again!

Latest Discussions