Crashing other WC schools!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I had an interesting experience today. I crashed another WC school from a different lineage and demanded to do chi-sau with their guys to defend the honor of my lineage! Yeah, and then I got hit in the mouth. (It's the biggest target on my body as you can tell from my posts. :p) But I gave as well as I took. It was really great! I will visit them again or invite them to visit us.

OK ... to be honest, it wasn't "crashing" at all. The guy who runs the other school has an open workout once a month, so we talked and he invited me to attend. Unfortunately I had to work that day and could only visit for about an hour. As it turns out it's a really small school ...like mine, but way cooler. I just sub-let at a boxing gym. These guys have their place decked out like a proper kwoon. Classy. And they were all doing chi-sau when I got there. With guys from several different lineages.

So I signed the release form and got on the floor. With each partner we started of just rolling to get a feel for what the other guy had in mind. Different people have very different ideas about what chi sau is and how to train it. In this case we were able to find common ground and work productively.

Honestly, I really think it would be good for my guys to work with these guys once in a while, and hopefully their sifu will feel the same way. We've had very successful multi-style Escrima/FMA gatherings in this town. Maybe we can finally do something similar with WC and raise the overall awareness of WC with the public.

I mean we live in a huge metro area yet WC is almost unknown. It's not like we are competing for customers. We need to cooperate to have a public presence, and by mixing, our students will be exposed to more bodies, more variation, just all round, more experience. ...If I can find the right people, really don't see the downside. Any thoughts?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only one , I'm jealous .
Not much WC in my part of the world. There is the EBMAS group but being a rebel I'm not welcome.
Which is silly, because they're rebels too.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only one , I'm jealous .
Not much WC in my part of the world. There is the EBMAS group but being a rebel I'm not welcome.
Which is silly, because they're rebels too.

Absolutely. So the EBMAS guys won't do chi-sau with you? Are you sure they aren't with LT?! --EBMAS guys should be up for messing with anybody! I'm bummed. :(

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now I feel like crashing a school. Alas I guess I won't just yet. Have hard time finding one not linked to my sifu in this area.

Would want it to be other lineage that holds no feelings on any matter.
Friendlier beating that way, more learning from bruises.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely. So the EBMAS guys won't do chi-sau with you? Are you sure they aren't with LT?! --EBMAS guys should be up for messing with anybody! I'm bummed. :(

The funny thing is I'm the one that started that group. There was no WC in this area of any kind back when I started training so I started training WT out of town and bringing instructors in here which ultimately led to this group.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
The funny thing is I'm the one that started that group. There was no WC in this area of any kind back when I started training so I started training WT out of town and bringing instructors in here which ultimately led to this group.

So you've been exiled? All the more reason to crash the place and reclaim your rightful territory! :punch:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you've been exiled? All the more reason to crash the place and reclaim your rightful territory! :punch:

It was a self-imposed exile but I like how you think, we may have a movie script on our hands.
I'll play the lead of course but are you available to play a part ?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a self-imposed exile but I like how you think, we may have a movie script on our hands.
I'll play the lead of course but are you available to play a part ?

I can do a pretty good parody of WT if you're considering a Kung Fu comedy à la Stephen Chow. :woot:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can do a pretty good parody of WT if you're considering a Kung Fu comedy à la Stephen Chow. :woot:

Again with a brilliant idea . I will see if Jackie Chan is available .

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting back to the original topic, I've never crashed a school but I have been able to cross hands with a few guys from other lineages from time to time over the years and I have always had a positive experience.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Getting back to the original topic, I've never crashed a school but I have been able to cross hands with a few guys from other lineages from time to time over the years and I have always had a positive experience.

Yeah, same here.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I had an interesting experience today. I crashed another WC school from a different lineage and demanded to do chi-sau with their guys to defend the honor of my lineage! Yeah, and then I got hit in the mouth. (It's the biggest target on my body as you can tell from my posts. :p) But I gave as well as I took. It was really great! I will visit them again or invite them to visit us.

OK ... to be honest, it wasn't "crashing" at all. The guy who runs the other school has an open workout once a month, so we talked and he invited me to attend. Unfortunately I had to work that day and could only visit for about an hour. As it turns out it's a really small school ...like mine, but way cooler. I just sub-let at a boxing gym. These guys have their place decked out like a proper kwoon. Classy. And they were all doing chi-sau when I got there. With guys from several different lineages.

So I signed the release form and got on the floor. With each partner we started of just rolling to get a feel for what the other guy had in mind. Different people have very different ideas about what chi sau is and how to train it. In this case we were able to find common ground and work productively.

Honestly, I really think it would be good for my guys to work with these guys once in a while, and hopefully their sifu will feel the same way. We've had very successful multi-style Escrima/FMA gatherings in this town. Maybe we can finally do something similar with WC and raise the overall awareness of WC with the public.

I mean we live in a huge metro area yet WC is almost unknown. It's not like we are competing for customers. We need to cooperate to have a public presence, and by mixing, our students will be
exposed to more bodies, more variation, just all round, more experience. ...If I can find the right people, really don't see the downside. Any thoughts?

This is really great. I don't see any downside, either. I believe it will make what all of you (your guys, their guys) do even better. And more fun. I've always loved, and benefited, from having different schools come down and teach/train/interact with everyone, and us going there as well. And from completely different styles, too.

Keep us posted how it goes, bro.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Always a good plan to try it out with other groups. Just have to find the ones who won't endlessly talk trash about you after you've left or try and injure you while you're there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really great. I don't see any downside, either. I believe it will make what all of you (your guys, their guys) do even better. And more fun. I've always loved, and benefited, from having different schools come down and teach/train/interact with everyone, and us going there as well. And from completely different styles, too.

I agree. We have a couple schools that come visit periodically. We match up students of about the same ability, and everybody has a good time and learns something.
We also have a group of local instructors in various arts that is specifically intended to encourage cross training. Every couple months there will be an open tourney, a 'fight night', a 'share your favorite technique night' or some such.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I mean we live in a huge metro area yet WC is almost unknown. It's not like we are competing for customers. We need to cooperate to have a public presence, and by mixing, our students will be exposed to more bodies, more variation, just all round, more experience. ...If I can find the right people, really don't see the downside. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a great time!
Can you share who when and where? I'd be interested in going next time out and would be cool to meet you as well haha
(Can PM me if you prefer)

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time!
Can you share who when and where? I'd be interested in going next time out and would be cool to meet you as well haha
(Can PM me if you prefer)

No need for a PM. We met at Sifu Nick Edmond's place, "Red-light Wing Chun" at 316 W. McDowell Rd. in downtown Phoenix . Nick is of the Sam Kwok lineage. Check his webpage. He said they usually have an open practice 2-4pm on the 3rd Saturday of the month. If I'm in town, I hope to go again next week. It would be great to meet up. A friend of mine took some lessons from your Kung-fu brother Eric H. and had a lot of praise for what you guys do!

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No need for a PM. We met at Sifu Nick Edmond's place, "Red-light Wing Chun" at 316 W. McDowell Rd. in downtown Phoenix . Nick is of the Sam Kwok lineage. Check his webpage. He said they usually have an open practice 2-4pm on the 3rd Saturday of the month. If I'm in town, I hope to go again next week. It would be great to meet up. A friend of mine took some lessons from your Kung-fu brother Eric H. and had a lot of praise for what you guys do!

Oh cool! Yeah, I've seen his ads for his club/school. That would be fun.
I'm assuming you mean't 'next month'. Hopefully I'll remember about it then. Or just let me know if you're going to make it? :)

I'm assuming you're talking about Jake. Eric had nothing but good things to say about him - and thanks for passing along the compliment! haha

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh cool! Yeah, I've seen his ads for his club/school. That would be fun.
I'm assuming you mean't 'next month'.

Right, next month. Sometimes my mind says one thing and my hands type something else.

...and yes I meant Jake. I haven't heard from him in a long time. He should come too. :)

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

Practicing with other lineages is the fastest way to get better. Just be careful of the politics and egos then it will be fine..

Latest Discussions