Wooden dummy technique: who's better?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Compare these 2 guys, who's doing it right or better?

He says not to move the shoulders:

He uses the shoulders:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Realize that Jake Mace in the 2nd video does a mix of several different arts. What he is showing on the dummy is not from the Wing Chun dummy form. So it really isn't a valid comparison to the first video.

Wing Chun Auckland

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wooden dummy should be about aligning your structures up in a way that you feel structurally strong and aligned to the force. I dont really see that in either of these.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The term "body method" is defined that you use your body to pull/push your arms. Any move that you freeze your body and shoulder, and only use your arms to strike is deadly wrong. When you get to high level, you should only see the body movement and you should not see the arms movement.

Try to punch on your wooden dummy by putting your arms behind your back, you will understand the correct way to strike.

Last edited:

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jake Mace is the worst example too. Not sure about orange jumper. He talks alot of theory then his chi sao video with Danny Horgan he uses none of that theory and constantly gets slapped in the face.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
And that guy was a "master" while Danny was apparently only self-taught but enthusiastic...

The internet is a bad place to find good Wing Chun.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember back in the day when you had to look for out of the way indicators that there was Dojo near by.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed. It's a bad place to find any good martial arts.
I dunno. I have no problem finding world-class BJJ, Judo, wrestling, MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, or Muay Thai online. WIth a little more work I can find high-quality FMA. I'm not a qualified judge of Karate, but I can find some stuff that looks pretty good from my outsiders perspective. Same for some other arts that I have only passing familiarity with.

Of course, there's also plenty of crap, but that's true for martial arts IRL off-line as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I have no problem finding world-class BJJ, Judo, wrestling, MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, or Muay Thai online. WIth a little more work I can find high-quality FMA. I'm not a qualified judge of Karate, but I can find some stuff that looks pretty good from my outsiders perspective. Same for some other arts that I have only passing familiarity with.

Of course, there's also plenty of crap, but that's true for martial arts IRL off-line as well.

Ah but you can tell the good from the bad, so many can't and think that what they see is the 'real thing'.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anybody's anything is better than Jack Mace's anything.[/QUOTE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mace used to have a studio about 9 blocks from me. ugh ugh]

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this Mace bring tears to your eyes then? o_O

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would have thought that the orange chinese guy was good. I watched some of his videos and what he showed there looked sophisticated to me.
Now if in reality he sucks then this really makes me feel like it's a hopeless attempt to try to find a good teacher. First of all what are the chances
that there even is a good one in my region? And even if there is one I have no damn clue how to identify him!
If I cant tell if someone in a video is good or not then seeing him in real life makes no difference at all! Where is the difference is i see him on
video or if he does the same stuff in front of me? This is so discouraging.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You seem to feel that this problem is someone else's fault?

At the end of the day you have to make your own decision. Why not read some threads here, look around in your local area, and then go and try something?

Alternatively you could ignore wing chun and go and do something like BJJ or MT where quality is easier to measure by results in competition.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
You seem to feel that this problem is someone else's fault?

At the end of the day you have to make your own decision. Why not read some threads here, look around in your local area, and then go and try something?

Alternatively you could ignore wing chun and go and do something like BJJ or MT where quality is easier to measure by results in competition.

Got to say it, this is the correct comment although a bit harsh perhaps.

You need to start training, if you do not start then you will never get the help you seek.

Once you start training an art like for instance Wing Chun, then we can help you see if what you are training is the right thing. But before you know anything about anything it is like having to teach you the system using words on a forum, in order to help you pick the correct teacher/sifu. A style like Wing Chun can not be learnt by reading text only.

So once more, get started with training. Once you do read the forums, ask questions, make videos, get feedback. Improve and learn and if you feel whatever you hear here seems to work better than what you get taught, you either ask your teacher/sifu or go out looking for other teachers but now with a lot more understanding on what to look for.

Latest Discussions