Couple of questions from a Genbukan newbie

Discussion in 'Koryu Corner' started by Bruno@MT, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT Senior Master

Hi All, I joined a Genbukan dojo a couple of weeks ago. I am trying to figure out the basic background of how the ryu system works. I did a lot of reading already over the last several days. Both here, on Wikipedia, the genbukan home page and various other places.
    Of course I also asked my sensei a lot of things already about ninpo, but I only see him once per week, and I don’t want to keep hammering him with questions of a general nature.

I think I have a basic understanding, but I have some questions left that I did not find the answer to. If these questions are covered somewhere else already, a link is all I need.

Based on what I read so far, I have the impression that being awarded menkyo kaiden is a formal statement that you know everything there is to know about a certain ryu, and you are allowed to pass it on. But can someone who holds this certificate also grant menkyo kaiden to a student of his, or is that reserved for the soke only?

If a soke dies without formally passing on his sokeship (?), can a menkyo kaiden holder claim it, or does the original ryu die?

Since the soke is the person in charge of a ryu, is he allowed to make changes to the ryu?

If menkyo kaiden indicates complete mastership, does that mean that the menkyo kaiden holder holds the highest dan grade?

From what I read so far, I understand there is only one soke per ryu, and he passes ownership to only one student. But both Tanemura Sensei and Hatsumi Sensei are listed as soke of Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu. Is this an error?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaaki_Hatsumi
    http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?ryu_soke

I hope I posted this in the right forum, and that I didn't ask inappropriate questions. I was thinking it should go either here or in general martial arts, but since my last question is about a ryu held by Tanemura Sensei and / or Hatsumi Sensei, I decided to post here. I hope that was ok.

2. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Hi,

Well, that's a bit of a list, we'll see how we go. Just so you know, though, particularly at the beginning, these questions are probably of the least important for your training. You won't have the experience to identify individual Ryuha for a while, nor the opportunity to train in one specific art until at least 3rd Dan. But here we go:

Perfectly okay, I hope this was a help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. terryl965

terryl965 <center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Bruno@MT I am just stopping by to say hello and also to let you know we have a meet and greet section for introduction. I really cannot add anything to it.

4. newtothe dark

newtothe dark Purple Belt

Just wanted to say that Chris that was a great post!!!!!!!!

I originally came to the forurms for just that sort of knowledge and answers and have found myself caught up in the soap opera sometimes. Thanks for reminding me what it should be about

:bangahead:

5. Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT Senior Master

Thanks guys. I know this is something that will be of no practical importance to me anytime soon, if ever.

But I am new to traditional JMA. My previous experience was in modern jiu-jitsu and it had nothign resembling the ryu system so I was trying to figure out how it worked, as a system.

I'll head over to the meet and greet to say hi.

6. Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee Master of Arts

Yeah, I gotta say that chris parker sure is an elightening fellow. He must read a lot....or be like a thousand years old.

7. Cryozombie

Cryozombie Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Excellent post Chris, a lot of info in there.