Convinient double standarts?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I browsed the local crafts store the other day, part of 'the' chain....

and I got to wondering:
How can one demand respect for moral/ethical superiority and the actions caused by this while doing business with people who kick and trample those ethical pinnacles?

I mean, 'the store' is by no means cheap! Most of the goods are not made in the US, but the run-of-the-mill junk from that faraway shangrila of cheapness. When you walk through the door you can smell chemicals in the air, evaporating from so-so made furniture....

How can one bring these two discrepancies in tune with oneself? :confused:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I browsed the local crafts store the other day, part of 'the' chain....

and I got to wondering:
How can one demand respect for moral/ethical superiority and the actions caused by this while doing business with people who kick and trample those ethical pinnacles?

I mean, 'the store' is by no means cheap! Most of the goods are not made in the US, but the run-of-the-mill junk from that faraway shangrila of cheapness. When you walk through the door you can smell chemicals in the air, evaporating from so-so made furniture....

How can one bring these two discrepancies in tune with oneself? :confused:

I'd comment but I have no clue what your talking About

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, true. because I didn't want to start the whole thing all over again....
But I assumed that when I mentioned 'craft store chain' and morality it would have been clearer....

however.

The point being that the owner had some strong feelings about a certain aspect of morality he did not with to fund.

All while doing business with companies in a country that take a 180 degree different approach to his ideas, to a extreme, actually.

And I wonder how this was even jiving together for him.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
She's whining because she went to Hobby Lobby whose owners do not like homosexuality being promoted as a good thing.
She further whines because they buy and (gasp!) sell things made in Indonesia, Pakistan, China, etc, rather than only overpriced US (look for the union label) type crap.
She drives everyone nuts by beating around the bush on where she was, what they don't like, and that even though she doesn't like their stand on homosexuality, which btw, is a perfectly legal one as they don't discriminate in hiring or other business practices.
Basically, IMNSHO, she is beating her breast and wearing sack cloth and ashes for violating her principles, in order to get more for less. She falsely claims she doesn't claim moral superiority when that is precisely what she is doing.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
She's whining because she went to Hobby Lobby whose owners do not like homosexuality being promoted as a good thing.
She further whines because they buy and (gasp!) sell things made in Indonesia, Pakistan, China, etc, rather than only overpriced US (look for the union label) type crap.
She drives everyone nuts by beating around the bush on where she was, what they don't like, and that even though she doesn't like their stand on homosexuality, which btw, is a perfectly legal one as they don't discriminate in hiring or other business practices.
Basically, IMNSHO, she is beating her breast and wearing sack cloth and ashes for violating her principles, in order to get more for less. She falsely claims she doesn't claim moral superiority when that is precisely what she is doing.

remind me to negative rep you when it's up again for this load of manure.

I was precisely trying to obscure the store because I did not want to rehash the other 'issue' again, since you can't stay on topic to save your life.

Point I tried to make - precisely - is the guy does not want to pay for the morning after pill yet deals happily and lucratively with a country that takes family planing several steps further.

You thoughts on that?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was precisely trying to obscure the store because I did not want to rehash the other 'issue' again, since you can't stay on topic to save your life.

Right...and how far was this thread supposed to go with you being "obscure"?

Lay it out or leave it alone.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Point I tried to make - precisely - is the guy does not want to pay for the morning after pill yet deals happily and lucratively with a country that takes family planing several steps further.

You thoughts on that?
Since none of us besides him apparently knew what you were talking about, you may have wanted to be more specific.
As for the point you're trying to make, I don't see it as a double standard. It's not like he is in charge of those countries views or can do anything to change them, and he can't only work with countries that only have things in common with him...if he did that, there's a good chance he'd be out of business because no country has everything in common with (almost) anyone's personal ideals.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin note: Thread locked for review

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:
After review by the moderation team, this thread is being reopened.
Please keep the discussion polite, respectful and on topic.
Thank you,
Mark Cochran
Dirty Dog
MT Moderator

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey gran if you disagree with the owners views why do you shop there?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey gran if you disagree with the owners views why do you shop there?

No, not the point.

The point is: The owner is so much against human interference in reproduction, namely abortion....I wonder if it has crossed his mind that the companies he is doing business with are in a country that actively promotes rigid family planning, including late, LATE term abortion.

THAT is the point.

I don't agree with his views, true, and I think he should not get to pick and choose, true, too, but the alternative is online ordering, the same crap he sells in his stores.
I would get it cheaper, I am sure, delivered to my front door no less....
But he is going through the trouble of opening a store, a real brick and mortar one....A business model I do support.
And I am not delusional enough to believe that the 2 times a year I stumble in the shop is doing anything to his bottom line, one way or another.
I am also not opposed to Chinese made crap either.

It just struck me if the good man even realized what he was doing.

Again, this isn't about me, my wardrobe or spending habits, it was merely an observation.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arnt you doing the same thing your calling him out on? You don't like his beliefs yet you do business with him. He doesn't like certain beliefs yet does business with them. What's the difference?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arnt you doing the same thing your calling him out on? You don't like his beliefs yet you do business with him. He doesn't like certain beliefs yet does business with them. What's the difference?

being Christian is not a punishable offense...

but he is being adamant about not spending money on what his ideology does not cover.

(I know you are being you again, trying hard not to get the point)

Again: Not about me.

But wouldn't you think that the ideals are strong enough to get different suppliers?
Or he just had not thought it through?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

For the benefit of new members who are still finding the ropes:

Please don't do that, Gran.

The Rep system is not really intended as a tool of 'punishment' but rather a means of communicating personal displeasure for a truly outrageous point of view. Don was naughty to phrase his position as he did because it was indeed a bit of a personal slap. But it is naughtier still to threaten to use the boards systems as a stick to beat someone who offended you.

Public discussion of Rep, good or bad, is expressly against the regulations by which the site is monitored and run. The rules are there for a purpose, good people; it is best to try and abide by them as best you can, even when your 'blood' is up.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the benefit of new members who are still finding the ropes:

Please don't do that, Gran.

The Rep system is not really intended as a tool of 'punishment' but rather a means of communicating personal displeasure for a truly outrageous point of view. Don was naughty to phrase his position as he did because it was indeed a bit of a personal slap. But it is naughtier still to threaten to use the boards systems as a stick to beat someone who offended you.

Public discussion of Rep, good or bad, is expressly against the regulations by which the site is monitored and run. The rules are there for a purpose, good people; it is best to try and abide by them as best you can, even when your 'blood' is up.

LOL, right. Like the marbleless wonder that jumped in to fight Don's fight :lol:

Can't do it anyhow, since I must have given him a green point not too long ago....I am not going around spreading the love with a 'nothing personal, but I need to dis somebody' :angel:

Besides...since you asked so nicely...how could I?!
:s92:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Lord... how petty we humans can be...

Look, if it really means that much to you then you can research the company (any company) and discover where they spend their money.

If you agree with their stance, do business with them; if you don't, then don't do business with them.

It really is that simple and a reflection of Capitalism at its best.

If you don't care and soley do business on the basis of who gives the best service and products at best prices, then keep your mouth shut in affairs political.

Really? Yes, really. Take some responsibility for yourself and your actions. Geez...

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good Lord... how petty we humans can be...

Look, if it really means that much to you then you can research the company (any company) and discover where they spend their money.

If you agree with their stance, do business with them; if you don't, then don't do business with them.

It really is that simple and a reflection of Capitalism at its best.

If you don't care and soley do business on the basis of who gives the best service and products at best prices, then keep your mouth shut in affairs political.

Really? Yes, really. Take some responsibility for yourself and your actions. Geez...

Oh, don't make me smack you upside your ugly green head.
Y'all couldn't see the point if I smacked you in the face with it.....

If his stance upset me enough I would not do business with them.
Fair enough, as I won't touch the pound that's in bed with the HSUS.

However THAT was NOT the point.

Do I need to break out the 2x4 to drive the actual THOUGHT home?!

The owner of the company objects...strongly enough that he does not want any of his money to go towards certain things....
It made me wonder if he had considered what his money is doing in China.

Is it clearer now?

Latest Discussions