competition sparring

OP
A

artful dodger

I have to agree with the warnings comment. I underestimated how much they had to do with the final score until I had a go at judging recently. It made a difference to every fight and often the poorer sparrer won.

OP
K

Kong

I think the new rules are a really good thing for competition TKD, I`ve been to way too many tournaments, were it seems like every second technique someone is rolling around on the floor. I just hate the way that looks in itself, and I think it makes TKD look bad as well.
With the new rules, hopefully people will keep their game a stand up one, and with the awarding of an extra point for headshots, it should take none of the excitement away.
:asian:

OP
F

fissure

I`ve been to way too many tournaments, were it seems like every second technique someone is rolling around on the floor. I just hate the way that looks in itself, and I think it makes TKD look bad as well.
It must be understood that WTF/USTU competition is nothing more than a contact sporting event.An intelligent player will bend any or all of the rules to their advantage.At this point the coverning body will try to even things out a bit. This happens in every sport - how many times has the shape of the goal crease been changed in hockey over the last couple of years? NASCAR has there teams using one engine for the whole of race weekend, they used to use as many as 3! Some enterprising TKD player will figure a way to use this new rules package to their advantage, others will copy him, and in a few years the rules will be tweaked again.
As to the issue of it making TKD "look bad" , it is not possible for a sport to make a Martial Art look bad or good - unless the spectator has zero concept of the later.
I should say that warnings and deductions play less of a role in WTF style events that most point formats.You really have to play dirty to get to the point where it will affect score cards! I have to say that the bigger tournys. (states and nationals) have a fairly high level of judging, and you don't have to deal with the petty local political BS as much!:EG: ( you notice I said "as much"!)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by artful dodger

I have to agree with the warnings comment. I underestimated how much they had to do with the final score until I had a go at judging recently. It made a difference to every fight and often the poorer sparrer won.

I watched a few matches like than in the juniors division. One kid got the snot beaten outta him. Took a turning kick to the nose, collapsed, and ended up getting his nose packed by the EMT. Match started back up, the kid was clearly angry about the bloody nose, and tried to go after the other kid. They went back and fourth for a bit until the kid went down again clutching his ribs. EMT came over again. Mach starts again, he takes another kick to the face EMT visits again... He ended up winning the match just due to his opponent being penalized for excessive contact.

OP
K

Kong

As to the issue of it making TKD "look bad" , it is not possible for a sport to make a Martial Art look bad or good - unless the spectator has zero concept of the later.
I agree with this, but the sport format does to a certain degree represent the art to the public, and most people draw conclusions on the art based on what they see in public tournaments (and demonstrations).