Maybe first competition in a few weeks

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's an AAU competition coming up on April 2nd that my children and I may participate in.

It's going to be forms and sparring. Since this is our first time competing and our school doesn't emphasize sparring, our Sabomnim is recommending we enter in forms competitions. Which means I'll probably do Som-Jang (of the Taegeuk family) as it is the form I'm working on for my next belt test. Probably not difficult as forms go, so I will focus on good power, precision, and execution.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck feerless, by the way why not compete in sparring. Is your Master against it or do you have a choice.:btg:

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could if I wanted to; he would prefer not. Our school doesn't emphasize it so although we do it once a week, most of us are still pretty inexperienced. I've never put on headgear and faced headkicks, for one thing, and I'm not sure if we've ever actually done 'full contact'.

In other words, my sparring training to date has been short of elements I would face in a real match. Not that I'm complaining about my training or his approach. It's just with who we have in the class and their level's or progress, etc..we haven't gotten to the point of doing full out, full contact sparring and it may be a bit much to face your first time actually in a match, in my first every competitive event.

Still...I'm very tempted to press the issue :)

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
It may be a better idea to see the sparring competition before you decide to enter. Just to give it the once-over, then you'll have more time to prepare the next time it comes round.

Just my 2 cents!
Good luck in comp!
-Flamebearer

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Luck!

I agree with Flamebearer-watch the sparring-generally speaking, unless it is a qualifier, they may not do full-contact for under-black belt (even if they advertise otherwise!) or even those over a certain age (no offense intended, just telling you what I've seen).

If you were interested in sparring competitively, does your dojang allow you to attend other classes for higher ranks? You might get some extra training in that way.

Miles

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've only been to one competition before as an observer and the only sparring in the time I was there was point-sparring and it was under something like under 14yo female colored belts. I'm a colored belt myself so no offense meant, but I'm also 35 yo so the rules allow different techniques, and I think olympic-style vs point-style causes different strategy and tactics. So yeah, watching the pacing and movement of my age/level peers in a real competition before doing it myself is probably wise.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Since the incremental cost is small I'd suggest doing them both, all it costs is ego. Just watch your head when fighting and don't take a fight where your over matched from the onset (ex: you 5' 10" yellow belt your opponent 6' 4" and a green belt).

Good luck and enjoy the competition.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The very best of luck to you and your children. Give some more thought to entering the sparring competition. Even without your school not putting an emphasis on it it would be great experience. Remember, competition is supposed to be fun. Enjoy it and let us know how you do.

J

Jim Tindell

AAU? Isn't that the organization with 8-year old Black belts?

J

Jrush

Just curious where the competition you are speaking of is going to be held at?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jim Tindell said:
AAU? Isn't that the organization with 8-year old Black belts?
Yes they have eight year old BB, and I see your WTF which has eight years old BB called Pooms, so I do not get your statement. Please explain

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I could if I wanted to; he would prefer not. Our school doesn't emphasize it so although we do it once a week, most of us are still pretty inexperienced. I've never put on headgear and faced headkicks, for one thing, and I'm not sure if we've ever actually done 'full contact'.

In other words, my sparring training to date has been short of elements I would face in a real match. Not that I'm complaining about my training or his approach. It's just with who we have in the class and their level's or progress, etc..we haven't gotten to the point of doing full out, full contact sparring and it may be a bit much to face your first time actually in a match, in my first every competitive event.

Still...I'm very tempted to press the issue :)
you should try to do what your instructor wishes, he knows best about the tournament and the competition that will be there. The other have given you sound advice.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, more informatopm:

The competition is the AAU State Championship (or District Qualifier) being held in Tijeras, New Mexico.

My son and daughter are both entering in Form competition, which will be Taegeuk Sa-Jang Jin, as they are green belts and that is the form for their next belt.

I am entering in Form competition as well; Taegeuk Sam-Jang Ri.

I am also entering in the Sparring competition After more conversation with my instructor he said I should do ok, so I'm going to give it a shot. At least get one shot while I'm still at the 'novice' level.

Ironically, one of my main sparring partners *is* a 6'4" Green Belt, but he is also in his mid-late 40s and does not have my quickness or flexibilty so I have no idea what to make of it.

Basically, I want to compare myself against my 'peers' (adult colored belts) outside of the people I see all the time in my school so this is a good chance to do that anyway. Also, I'm a month or two from testing for my next belt (green) and I think that will put me into the next higher grouping of colored belts (intermediate) for competition around here so if I'm going to take the plunge, might as well do it while I'm at the top of the curve before I got to the bottom again :)

My children have been doing this longer than I and have done a lot of hard work. We put a lot of attention into detail in forms practice so I think they will do well. Whatever happens, though, they've made me proud in getting here.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good to hear.

If you are used to going against a larger opponents it should not be a huge problem, unless they significantly faster and quicker that you, but that would be a problem even if they were of similar size.

Primary thing of interest is that tall people send out more head shots, since the risk/reward ratio is in their favor (2pts to the head).

I like the barometer you are using to see if things are working for you.

Next year you should try the Texas State Championships bigger pool of atheltes and it's just a SWA ticket away. Other cities in your region El Paso/Juarez, Albequerque and Colorado Springs should have also have large tourney's. The larger the tournament the more likely you will be able to find competition of equal size and ability.

J

Jrush

Ahh I thought you were speaking of the All American Open that is also this weekend April 2, 2005 in Oklahoma City, OK.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I get closer to the day, my sabumnim has put some extra one on one time to help me with my sparring (and the three of us with our forms). This has beenvery educational.

Today I learned not to duck :) He said I tended to crouch sometimes and today it cost me. He threw a roundhouse kick about upper chest high and I crouched and it caught me in the bridge of the nose and forehead. No headgear but this was light contact for instructional purpose. It certainly rattled me for a bit but no injury; a minute or two later we were back at it.

At 5'11" I'm average to tall I guess. Last night in our sparring class he said to try some head level shots but without contact. So I tried a left leg roundhouse against my 6'4" partner. If I had been going for contact, I would've caught him in the side of the head. So my instructor said definitely to use headshots if it opens up. He says I'm pretty flexible for someone at my age/rank combination so I probably won't run into a lot of headshots so I could have an edge here. I definitely need to keep my hands up, I know.

Also, I've been working on a fast attack of the line the last few months, off and on. Occasionaly, right as we start, I will come in with a quick hop-to front kick. Sometimes it hits; aggressive intimidation even when it doesn't.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it. As my posting history shows, I put a lot of thought into tactics and strategy, and put time into practicing the neccessary moves for those tactics. Our school doesn't put a lot of focus into sparring; I don't think I'm going to go in there and beat everyone up, but I think Ive got the condition, the raw technique execution, and a good mindset to represent myself and my school well

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Today I learned not to duck :) He said I tended to crouch sometimes and today it cost me. He threw a roundhouse kick about upper chest high and I crouched and it caught me in the bridge of the nose and forehead.
Heh, thats how I got my nose broken the last time. I still duck though.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it. As my posting history shows, I put a lot of thought into tactics and strategy, and put time into practicing the neccessary moves for those tactics. Our school doesn't put a lot of focus into sparring; I don't think I'm going to go in there and beat everyone up, but I think Ive got the condition, the raw technique execution, and a good mindset to represent myself and my school well
Best of luck with it, mate.