Coming back after Soooo many years....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was reading the "Once a black belt...always a black belt?" thread and wondered if any of you came back to the MA after a long layoff. I once held a high rank in my system, but quit training for about 15 or 16 years. When I finally returned to train again, I was fat, old (52), and inept. I've been back for a year and I'm still something of a puzzle to the other students...sometimes I'm clueless, other times advanced techniques pop out of nowhere like something out of one of the "Bourne" movies. It's wierd, but I'm lovin' it. How about the rest of you?

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I studied Kempo for 2.5 -3 years and achieved a high rank , then i took 10 years off ( accidently) got fatter, forgot most stuff. THen I recently made a decision to get back into MA. So I went for a change and switched to Northern Longfist Kung Fu. I am so glad I made the decisions to get back into it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've had a couple breaks in training. Started in Tang Soo Do as teenager, stopped to go to college. Dabbled in a few arts (Aikido, Hwa Rang Do) before settling in on MJLH Kung Fu (a Northern Shaolin Style) in medical school. Stopped for Internship/Residency/Marriage/Children, restarted 10 years later in Seven Star Praying Mantis, been with it for about 3 years now.

While my brain had managed to forget all of the sequences of my previous style's forms, my instructors have said they could see that my body had not forgotten how to move in the appropriate ways to execute techniques (in forms and application, open hand and weapons). Of course, not everything was the same across the styles, so I had some unlearning to do as well.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned in taking MA up again after the break has been a truer appreciation for martial arts and a greater capacity to invest the time and effort required. Most days, I try to get to my school 30-60 minutes before class to review previous material, etc. I have told many people that one of my great regrets is that I stopped practicing my forms and drills once life took me away from my teacher.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see that happening.. besides .. age and treachery take youth and skill every time!!".. I have seen it happen ... LOL

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
lol is happens to everyone at one point they take months or years off get fat or forget technique then go back but either way its really amazing how much you actually do remember sometimes.:ultracool

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I earned a black belt in HTM back in the mid 80's, then, due to some issues in my life, walked away from it and martial arts for 16 years (until 2004). At that time, I began training in TKD and am about to test for my black belt in that style.

I lost a lot of what I learned in HTM, but I still train my basic techniques in that art and am pretty sharp with them. They make an outstanding compliment to my current training.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...While my brain had managed to forget all of the sequences of my previous style's forms, my instructors have said they could see that my body had not forgotten how to move in the appropriate ways to execute techniques...

My instructor told me exactly the same thing! The trouble is, the body is older and stiffer too! Oh well, just gotta work harder... or smarter, I guess.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Any type of program that will increase your excerise? ...will be a GREAT thing for you!

Coming back in to the martial arts is one of the better programs too...builds up more confidence...increase body strenghts..fellowships and friendships...

The term "Once a black belt..always a Blackbelt refers more the mind set...the physcial side will always be slower and ageing...one will never have their body be like in the earylier years, movements will never be like B-4.

Enjoy the training! ....Aloha