question

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
If the school you attend does not participate in seminars and or tournaments is it okay to go your self ?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the school you attend does not participate in seminars and or tournaments is it okay to go your self ?

Depends on your instructor....

At a guess, if you're asking here, you either aren't ready or your instructor doesn't want you to, and you know that.

It'll depend on a lot of factors. Where you are in your training... The topic of the seminar, the instructor, or the particular tournament... Size of the school... And just plain what your instructor's feelings about seminars and tournaments happen to be.

And if you're willing to accept the consequences if you do so anyway, over the objections of your instructor.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The simplest solution, as always with matters that touch on dojo etiquette, is to ask your instructor.

I had the same problem in reverse in that I did not want to take part in competitions and tournements (it's not what I do martial arts for) and I took the path of explaining to my instructors that this was so. It did cost me a little in terms of training attention compared to the Tournament Stars, I think but I did well enough not to feel slighted.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes to seminars. No reasonable instructor should object, and most should encourage it.

Tournaments, I can't see there being a problem. Just let your instructor know, if the school doesn't support it you should be able to enter as "independent" and be fine. Just don't claim to be there representing the school in any way. Just keep in mind that if your school doesn't train for the rules the tournament is using, you will be at a disadvantage.

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The simplest solution, as always with matters that touch on dojo etiquette, is to ask your instructor.

I had the same problem in reverse in that I did not want to take part in competitions and tournements (it's not what I do martial arts for) and I took the path of explaining to my instructors that this was so. It did cost me a little in terms of training attention compared to the Tournament Stars, I think but I did well enough not to feel slighted.

I have no interest in doing tournaments either (unless we're talking about full contact free sparring), and our school participates in very few.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes to seminars. No reasonable instructor should object, and most should encourage it.

Tournaments, I can't see there being a problem. Just let your instructor know, if the school doesn't support it you should be able to enter as "independent" and be fine. Just don't claim to be there representing the school in any way. Just keep in mind that if your school doesn't train for the rules the tournament is using, you will be at a disadvantage.
See, I'm picky. There are some seminars that I don't want students in general or a particular student in particular to attend. Generally that means that either I don't think much of the seminar (to be extreme... say an Ashida Kim seminar) or the particular student may lack skills needed for the seminar to be productive -- or need to focus on something else.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would communicate with your instructor about this. I know that I always appreciate it when a student talks to me about questions or concerns. That way at least you will each know where each stands.
I encourage our students to attend not only our own functions, but outside functions as well but not all schools are as open. Hopefully your school will be open about this but if not you are still then left with making your own decision about attending outside functions. In the end its really your choice. I would just be open and honest about whatever choice you make. I hope this helps!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that you should talk with your instructor as a matter of ettiquette. Another reason to mention it is that your instructor just simply may not have heard that the seminar was going to happen.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See, I'm picky. There are some seminars that I don't want students in general or a particular student in particular to attend. Generally that means that either I don't think much of the seminar (to be extreme... say an Ashida Kim seminar) or the particular student may lack skills needed for the seminar to be productive -- or need to focus on something else.

Ashida Kim? That one would be entertaining if nothing else, I might even feel tempted there :)

I'm not picky in that way, I figure if someone wants to go see something then they should, seminars are more about getting a "taste" then anything anyways. If it tastes rotten, well, it was still a learning experience.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Twenty years ago? ..the answers most likely be NO!!!

Today with so many Tournaments and Seminars? .....Always ask your Teachers/Instrutors first for permission.

As far as for Seminars? ....just go any way...it is your knowledge that you want to increase...and your money, time that you are using.
This is the same for martial art videos,books,magazines, and other learning materials...

For tournaments? ...if NO.... and you want to enter? ....use you own name and plain uniforms (no patches or logo's or name of your school on lthem)

IF your School said OK? ...go for it!

Never limit your knowledge.........Aloha

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At a guess, if you're asking here, you either aren't ready or your instructor doesn't want you to, and you know that.

It'll depend on a lot of factors. Where you are in your training... The topic of the seminar, the instructor, or the particular tournament... Size of the school... And just plain what your instructor's feelings about seminars and tournaments happen to be.

And if you're willing to accept the consequences if you do so anyway, over the objections of your instructor.

These two pretty much sum up my viewpoint as well. As an instructor, I want my students to take advantage of everything they can - but there are certain instructors/associations around here I would not want them to go to, because of poor experiences with them in the past, in terms of not providing what they charged for. Also, as an instructor, I much prefer to be present when my students compete, so I can support them.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's hypothetical at this juncture I know but that was very bad advice, SL.

If the OP's instructors do not wish their students to do something and those students go ahead and do it anyway, what do you think the likely reaction will be?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As far as for Seminars? ....just go any way...it is your knowledge that you want to increase...and your money, time that you are using.

Coming from CMA I know of at least 1 sifu who is VERY traditional in his thinking about training and Sifu/student relationship and if you were to go to a seminar without asking or without his permission he would likely kick you out of his school. If you asked to go to a tournament he would tell you no and if you went anyway he would kick you out of his school.

There are some staunch traditionalists still around in the CMA world that if someone had the chance to train with they would be crazy not to and to mess it up because one decided they needed to go to a seminar or tournament makes no sense to me at all.

One of my Sifu’s would absolutely STOP training me if I went to a tournament and used any of what he has trained me. But he does not care if I go to a seminar, although I tend not to go to seminars much anymore.

These two pretty much sum up my viewpoint as well. As an instructor, I want my students to take advantage of everything they can - but there are certain instructors/associations around here I would not want them to go to, because of poor experiences with them in the past, in terms of not providing what they charged for. Also, as an instructor, I much prefer to be present when my students compete, so I can support them.

There can be other reasons, see above post

It's hypothetical at this juncture I know but that was very bad advice, SL.

If the OP's instructors do not wish their students to do something and those students go ahead and do it anyway, what do you think the likely reaction will be?

Exactly see above for the answer to that.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't see any issue with going. Both will do nothing but give you more knowledge and experience. If you want to ask your teacher what they thnk, thats fine, however, IMHO, anyone who tries to steer you away from something, because they don't like it, is holding you back.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i am not sure of your rank but this is a very big question you have asked. To my thinking it goes to your understanding and respect for your instructors and what you want out of your training. If seminars and tournaments are what you want and your school does not allow it, perhaps you need to re think where you are training. this is not to slight your instructors in the least. i do not like tournaments and do not train for them. Should a student want to go , i will certainly help them, but on their time not class time and i would not want them wearing school patches at the tournaments because i have specific reasons about not going and it is part of my philosophy of teaching and training. Seminars are different. I will not limit knowledge of anyone nor am i threatened by others 'finding' out that i do not know everything...because i do not know everything but know enough to know at least that.. :) I have had very knowledgeable instructors be affronted that i would ask questions to more than one person and i lost respect for them because of this, never limit your knowldge or where you get it based on anything else but truth and effectivenss. Training to me is about a lifetime commitment so if these things interest you this much, speak to your instructors and keep in mind they may not be offering what you want, with good reasons of thier own or crappy reasons. this is a case where you can and should choose your family

respectfully,
Marlon

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In terms of competition, (if your instructor doesn't want you to compete, but you want to anyway) ask your instructor if you're ready for it from an unbiased point of view. He/she could give some really good pointers on how you should improve your game.

I don't think instructors should have that kind of control on life outside of training (and it doesn't involve the instructor or school in any way), IMHO.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In terms of competition, (if your instructor doesn't want you to compete, but you want to anyway) ask your instructor if you're ready for it from an unbiased point of view. He/she could give some really good pointers on how you should improve your game.

That's not a bad idea. A guy that use to train with my Taiji sifu was going to China on a business trip and asked my sifu about how he could get into push hands competitions while in China. My sifu said he shouldn’t and when this gentleman pressed my sifu for an answer as to why he shouldn't my sifu said "they will hurt you". I don't know if the guy paid any attention but he never did return to class after going to China.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely ask your Instructor, if nothing else out of respect for the time and effort he/she spends helping you.
If he says yes, great. If he says no, there may very well be reasons beyond "because I said so". They may include :
Your instructor has never heard of the person and has no idea the person's background and qualifications. Keep in mind, ANYONE can present a seminar.

You Instructor has heard of the person and doesn't think much of them

He doesn't think you're ready.

He doesn't think the information is useful.

Years ago, I wanted to attend seminars as well. My instructor would sit me down, tell me who these guys were (especially if they were Korean), and why I would be wasting my time if I went. He never forbade me, but showed my why I shouldn't go.

Latest Discussions