Collapsable batons....good or bad for carrying?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Illegal in most areas.

While that's mostly irrelevant-and partially untrue, in that if you have CCW, it's usually not just for firearms-I have to say, having owned and used several, that they're generally worthless, and good for only one-time use, especially if you hit "something" really hard.

After that, they usually don't collapse anymore.....pretty cool things to play with, though.....

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How is answering the question irrelavent? They are indeed illegal to carry in MOST areas.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not illegal where I'm at. And if you get the good quatlity ones, they last a good long while. Love mine, goes a lot of places with me. Never had it bend out of true even, and it gets a lot of hard impact.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elder999 said:
While that's mostly irrelevant-and partially untrue, in that if you have CCW, it's usually not just for firearms-I have to say, having owned and used several, that they're generally worthless, and good for only one-time use, especially if you hit "something" really hard.

After that, they usually don't collapse anymore.....pretty cool things to play with, though.....

I believe in Michigan it is a CPL for Pistol License, which means you cannot carry a knife, or a bat, or a baton or a sawed off shot-gun.

Could you let me know which states allow a CCW to carry other than a Gun. I would be very interested in the legislation to present to the Michigan State legislation so I could get a permit to carry my ever day carry (* EDC *) which is over the size limit in most if not all states.

Thanks

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm thats the first time I heard you needed a Conceal carry license to carry a knife...or such device... Weird. Hmmmm

California doesn't give out those because criminals are the only ones allowed to legally carry.

Sides San Fran has literally banned owning a pistol at all...weird eh?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Highly illigal to carry whee i am but I do love those littl expandable batons

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
portable, easily concealed. i'm pretty sure they're legal to carry in oregon, so long as they're plainly visible (heck, switchblades are legal out here).

i used to love my collapsable baton -- it was pricey, and withstood some serious wallops. and then i got into cane fighting.

the cane is the absolute best walk-around weapon there is.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I love how even though they're illegal to have in my state, you could easily find them in stores and buy them over the counter. I used to love mine, made a great companion on the overnight shift, doing a security patrol-- alone. However, the ones I got never did last that long.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I believe in Michigan it is a CPL for Pistol License, which means you cannot carry a knife, or a bat, or a baton or a sawed off shot-gun.

Could you let me know which states allow a CCW to carry other than a Gun. I would be very interested in the legislation to present to the Michigan State legislation so I could get a permit to carry my ever day carry (* EDC *) which is over the size limit in most if not all states.

Thanks
In Missouri, with a CCW we can carry ANY knife except for an automatic or a balisong (no blade length restrictions, single or double-edge, fixed-blade or folder, whatever). We can also carry impact weapons including blackjacks, saps, batons, etc.
In Florida (to the best of my knowledge) CCW holders can carry automatics, and I believe, fixed blades. I think Kentucky is another state where it's a concealed weapons license, not just a concealed handgun license.

edit: (with regard to the original post). Threads like this crack me up...If you want to discuss the merits or methods of using a particular weapon, fine. However, I don't understand why someone would get on here to ask about the legality of a particular weapon in their area. Think about it, you're asking people you don't know, many/most of whom are from different states, whether something is legal in your state. No matter how well-intentioned people may be, they can give you false information. When it comes to weapons, it's much better to find out for yourself. Because, after all, you're the one that's ultimately responsible for whatever you choose to carry. Just do a google search for your state weapons statutes, they're not hard to find. That way you'll know for sure.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I've never seen anyone carry one, excpet for a LEO.

Mike

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
How is answering the question irrelavent? They are indeed illegal to carry in MOST areas.

While it was relevant in terms of his having asked it, it's mostly an irrelevance in that, well, I'm not going to let the law stop me from carrying a weapon if I feel the need to......and neither should anyone else.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Illegal in most places in Europe, including UK. Aside from LE, I've never seen anyone use an extendablre batton. I have seen people use pick-axe handles and side-arm battons (tofna...) for "real" - both cases the guy with the batton was not justified - the victim of the pick-axe handle attack was able to leg it out of harms way and the tonfna appeared rather inadequate and despite many blows, the victim was able to retreat still mouthing-off. These telescopic battons tend to be lighter (at least the ones I've seen), so whilst they can be used effectively, I wouldn't rate them as all that. I'm sure they are attractive to weapons fetishists so each to their own I guess.

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
edit: (with regard to the original post). Threads like this crack me up...If you want to discuss the merits or methods of using a particular weapon, fine. However, I don't understand why someone would get on here to ask about the legality of a particular weapon in their area. Think about it, you're asking people you don't know, many/most of whom are from different states, whether something is legal in your state. No matter how well-intentioned people may be, they can give you false information. When it comes to weapons, it's much better to find out for yourself. Because, after all, you're the one that's ultimately responsible for whatever you choose to carry. Just do a google search for your state weapons statutes, they're not hard to find. That way you'll know for sure.

Because it is interesting to hear people's opinions mostly I guess. Course I could do a Google search, but then I wouldn't hear all the nice alternatives to said weapon. But point well taken...however in Cali its kinda of a mute point as pretty much everything is illegal. :(

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have several I've bought over the years. My buddy and I dressed up our senior year in high school and posed as security guard new hires for a local company to buy them at a secuity supply store. Told the guy we'd signed up for the 'class'. I've never hit anyone with one. I've been stopped and had them found on me by the police in searches and they always ask about it but they've never taken it.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Personally, I've never seen anyone carry one, except for a LEO.

Mike

They were very popular in the 80's by a lot of people.

I say more than one bend or wrap around another weapon. Which made the people think it was no good for further action. Both stopped, Hmmm you do what you train, as in broken equipment, you break?

Well I do not like them but that is just personal.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
In Missouri, with a CCW we can carry ANY knife except for an automatic or a balisong (no blade length restrictions, single or double-edge, fixed-blade or folder, whatever). We can also carry impact weapons including blackjacks, saps, batons, etc.
In Florida (to the best of my knowledge) CCW holders can carry automatics, and I believe, fixed blades. I think Kentucky is another state where it's a concealed weapons license, not just a concealed handgun license.

Thank you and When I get home this gives me a place to begin my search.

kenpotex said:

I agree, it is not what I would expect. Yet I did get some new information from you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Get an ASP expandable baton they will not bend unless you use some ungodly amount of force. They will also retract and extend for a long time. Most LEO use ASP if they are allowed to carry them. Here is a
link to one dealer whom I have never ordered from before but at least
you can see the picture and the price. I have had several for a long time
and have never experienced a problem. http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1551.php

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Latest Discussions