Collapsable batons....good or bad for carrying?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ASP is the only way to go for that type of baton. Wouldn't get anything else. They cost, but if you are going to use one as a defensive weapon, it's well worth it.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm an ASP instructor and believe me, I will not teach anything that I do not believe works. ASP batons are tough, reliable, and easy to use. (They are also VERY effective).
Pax
Cujo

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Personally, I've never seen anyone carry one, excpet for a LEO.

Mike

Nor have I..In many States you have to be a LEO in order to undertake the training..I remember the time when only LEO's could purchase one..

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A good friend of mines lives in LA and bought a collapsable baton, whip style. He and his friends got into a road rage with a another car and both sides came out to fight. He use the baton on the 6' guy, hitting couple of times on the head, and did not phase the guy, so he kick him to take him down.

later he give it away.... not big enough and no weight...like using chop sticks? ....Aloha

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of carrying weapons full stop. Would much prefer to use the environment and what it has to offer. It is also something to be used against you. Plus Australia's law is very strict so even if I was to defend my self with an extendable baton I would end up in prison too, probably with the guy I defended myself against but with out my trusty baton.

Cheers
Sam

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i understand the theory behind the whip ones, but they're too short for the theory to work.

a solid asp to the head will get a man's complete and undivided attention.

(but canes are still better)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
but canes are still better)

Amen Brother..A totally unassuming and devistating weapon..As Grandmaster Shuey Sr of CaneMasters says "A billyclub with a meathook"..

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
thetruth said:
I'm not a fan of carrying weapons full stop. Would much prefer to use the environment and what it has to offer. It is also something to be used against you. Plus Australia's law is very strict so even if I was to defend my self with an extendable baton I would end up in prison too, probably with the guy I defended myself against but with out my trusty baton.

Cheers
Sam

True, But, you'd be in a lot better shape!

W

West_Virginia_judoka

The best practical legal tool is a 4/5/6 D-cell Maglite flashlight. It is legal to carry everywhere. It doesn't bend as easily as an collapsable baton. And it has enough heft, those D-cell lead batteries add mass, to dent someone if needed.

I teach the local LEO's. They have stopped using the plastic tonfa. The ASP might be used on someone weighting less than 150 lbs. More than that, out comes the Maglite.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
An ASP baton in the hand's of a trained user is a very, very effective tool. I have little fear of my ASP bending unless I was hitting it against a steel beam repeatedly. : )

The whip style batons are just not effective at all for what I do and are generally poorly made. : (

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
ASP.... gotta get one of those for my Bday I think.... Do they have some shaped like a umbrella ;)

Look into a Monadnock baton..They are a heck of a lot easier to close...

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I finally got to play with an ASP. The handle was a bit longer than I expected - I figured there'd be at least 4 sections, maybe 5, and that they'd all be shorter. I was expecting it to maybe fit in a pocket a bit better than that. Anyway, if you had a good holster for it, it wouldn't be too bad.

It was a bit shorter than my 33" hickory, and a little heavier. You'd have to work with it quite a while before you could really move it well, IMO. The grip was good - foamy and grippy, but tight.

All in all, I couldn't carry one here unless it was much more concealable (they're illegal here), and I'd rather rip with my hickory (a little more forgiving), which I can't carry with me either.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
i understand the theory behind the whip ones, but they're too short for the theory to work.

a solid asp to the head will get a man's complete and undivided attention.

(but canes are still better)
I haven't used a new issue one, but have played with an authentic WWII spring cosh, and it is quite capable of doing serious damage. The problem with it is not the damage it can do by striking, it is the damage you can do to yourself as the rebound of the head off your target is not controllable.