Close them Off vs. Open Them Up

Discussion in 'The Competitive Edge' started by JP3, May 1, 2017.

1. Danny T

Danny T Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Have never heard the term 'shikau' but the 'dead' angle' I know as being in a position relative to the opponent where it is very difficult for him/her to continue their attack while being easy for you to control their balance or movement. It is more of a tactical principle of positioning rather than a specific position.

2. JP3

JP3 2nd Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    While I agree, I need to ask you if you've found other positions that "fit" besides Gerry's creepy place behind the arm/shoulder?

3. thanson02

thanson02 Green Belt

My preference is to go to their outside/back side if possible. Plenty of targets available and I am more of a counter fighter anyways. If you stay to their inside, you increase your chance of getting hit. That and I am a tall guy, so I can take advantage of my limbs reach that way.

I know that my wife is the opposite. She is shorter so she likes to use hit and run tactics by blitzing in to her opponents inside, get a few shots off, and then get out.

Both work and a lot of it has to do with your strong points in relation to your opponents. It also has to do with what strategy makes the most sense in your head.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Martial D

Martial D Green Belt

That's an easy one. In any system, it is ideal to be where you can hit them but they can't hit you. Outside gate all day long.

• Agree Agree x 1