Circling Destruction

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
The left hand is "up?" What does that mean? If its up and its closer, why isn't it "blocking" or something active instead of passively just "up?"
I guess I use it to stabilize myself with. Its kinda in that same position I tried to describe earlier, arm horizontal, elbow even with the shoulder. Is that bad?It becomes my rear arm when I step forward into the right neutral bow to do the right block.
Keep in mind that when a person throws a punch, he doesn't leave it there to be "checked." Once it is expended it will withdraw in preparation for or with another action.
Does it help at all to check or grab above the elbow while on the ouside of their arm at this point?
You were doing OK until you said "directional Harmony" :) WITH the punch.
LOL Well Maybe one day if I'm lucky I can make it to your neck of the woods and you can help me expand my knowledge beyond motion kenpo :)
The hands do "other things" as you kick? This is really hard isn't it? Explaining on paper what you take for granted in execution is extremely difficult. A for effort.
Saweeeet, at least I get an A for something. LOL
My biggest thing would be to advise you of being specific with your hands. Both hands should have precise assignments, and be active at all times. The "positional check" of motion kenpo is anomolous in human anatomy. The body constantly seeks and thrives mechanically on sematry. If there is any doubt what a hand should do at any given moment, than you're in trouble. Consider writing your own precise notes for your techniques over and above what's in those "manuals" which we've discovered really don't tell you much.

Think about that, and thanks for the brain exercise. We both learned something.
Oh I got a feeling it wasnt much of a brain exercise for you. Thanks for the advise Mr. Chapel. :asian:

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
in the version i do now the ending has you land forward with an elbow strike low after the scoop kick. :partyon:
later
jay
ps doc i have some thoughts about this technique i'm just organizing my brain to keyboard before i let you guys see if i'm on track ie (doc,the big dog Mr.C and billings to be specific.)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
jaybacca72 said:
in the version i do now the ending has you land forward with an elbow strike low after the scoop kick. :partyon:
later
jay
ps doc i have some thoughts about this technique i'm just organizing my brain to keyboard before i let you guys see if i'm on track ie (doc,the big dog Mr.C and billings to be specific.)
Now I'm really worried. :)

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love the extension to this technique. Kick the back of the oppnent's knee, sandwhich the head, push him to the ground, and step ALL over his back....ouch!

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Multiple opponents could be the catalyst, or missing the targets due to opponent's body structure, or environmental considerations preclude you from completing the Ideal Phase.

Just some ideas of potential catalysts.

-Michael

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I have another attacker, I could use my opponent as a shield when behind them. I agree with what Michael stated about the possibility of missing potential targets in the ideal phase because of the opponent's body structure, however, you would still have a lot of desperate explaining to do to authorities if you ever attempted an extension like that one. But then again, that applies to a lot of the extensions.

Kenpo is NASTY....but ya gotta love it.

Jamie Seabrook

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i spent some time with this HAIRY, FAT guy (not, LOL!) going over catalysts to extensions, like the ones you've mentioned (environment, missing targets) and others like loss of control and counter attacks. the difference on this is the base of CD leaves you in a pretty good position behind the attacker and little threat. i think of the multiple attacker scenario using gathering the snakes as a companion technique (taking the human shield approach).

oh well, maybe it would help if you show me the extension in las vegas!

pete

R

rmcrobertson

1. It is important to learn how to step, "up the circle," properly with that left foot after the initial moves, so that you can indeed still easily reach the opponent, rather than fiddling about.

2. Uh...Gathering of the Snakes, anybody?

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was why I used my reference to Multiple Opponents Robert. I did not know if they were familiar with it yet by name, but showing a little preview. The extensions all rock. I promise, really, they do! I just cannot convice those that don't want to learn them or have rationalized themselves into not needing them. But that is an argument for another day.

-Michael

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok i asked the question, now i'll come clean...

like i said, i haven't yet learned the extension to Circlin' D., but for the 50 or so extensions i have learned and practice there is a catalyst that causes you to continue. in Lone Kimono, the attacker sinks his elbow to protect against the hyper-extenstion/break, or in Triggered Salute you prevent the oncoming left punch by striking the clavicle or shoulder joint.

ok, i cheated and read ahead on a site that described the extension to CD, and from the description it reads as even though the base has your opponent being moved away from you from the triple-combo (right eye hook and scoop kick, and left palm to his back) and your momentum is carrying you back (landing back from the right scoop).. you go back in to continue the onslaught... shoving him face down to the ground, etc...

is there a typical scenario this is taught under?

pete

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
Marriage of Gravity, my friend. As you settle into your cat stance you chop to either the kneck or there is another place, it is not exactly but it is not the kneck. I forget what it is called. But any ways Marriage of Gravity will give you more than enough power.

Since the lead hand is chopping the neck - it should be a neutral bow. The cat stance is only a transitional stance and should not be your primary stance for the strike.

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kenpoist said:
Since the lead hand is chopping the neck - it should be a neutral bow. The cat stance is only a transitional stance and should not be your primary stance for the strike.

I do not think you saw what I had posted after I said that.

"Kenpo Mama, I was wong about that cat stance and I stand corrected by both you and Pete. I was rushing in my visualiztion of the technique. You come back from a foward bow into a neutral bow and deliver you chop. Than you hook under his chin or eyes and while going into your cat stance."
:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
is there a typical scenario this is taught under?
pete
There may be one, but it ain't typical, and if there is, it's dumb. Just my opinion of course.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
"Kenpo Mama, I was wong about that cat stance and I stand corrected by both you and Pete. I was rushing in my visualiztion of the technique. You come back from a foward bow into a neutral bow and deliver you chop. Than you hook under his chin or eyes and while going into your cat stance."
:asian:
Hmmm,

I have a tape of Mr. Palanzo teaching this technique at a 1993 camp, where he goes to the cat to deliver the chop to the neck. I am not saying who's right or wrong, but that is why I started this thread because it felt different to me since I typically do it in a neutral bow.

BTW - did you pass your 3rd black test?

Jamie Seabrook

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Hmmm,

I have a tape of Mr. Palanzo teaching this technique at a 1993 camp, where he goes to the cat to deliver the chop to the neck. I am not saying who's right or wrong, but that is why I started this thread because it felt different to me since I typically do it in a neutral bow.

BTW - did you pass your 3rd black test?

Jamie Seabrook

My test is not until the camp in October, I am going home on the 15th to make sure everythng is ready for that.

Latest Discussions