Choy Lay Fut

I

InvisibleFist

I beleive he's talking about the GENERAL approach of Buk Sing...less forms, more emphasis on streetfighting. Buk Sing is famous for its challenge matches with the HK wing Chun schools, a bitter feud that went on for years. One of the most famous veterans of these matches was Bruce Lee.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
Glad you enjoyed them...its a very good site. Looks like a good school.

Yeah it is a very good school!

John Wai was a student of Grandmaster Lee Koon Hung.

jeff:)

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
I beleive he's talking about the GENERAL approach of Buk Sing...less forms, more emphasis on streetfighting. Buk Sing is famous for its challenge matches with the HK wing Chun schools, a bitter feud that went on for years. One of the most famous veterans of these matches was Bruce Lee.
Well, i wouldn't say "more emphasis on streetfighting" ,but they do have less forms. They tend to work alot on drills and applications though.

I

Infrazael

Yeah, I'd have to say I like the general Buk Sing approach the best. Actually, the training approach I respect THE most is probably Muay Thai. . . . ....

Another questions: Do the techniques in Buk Sing really differ from Hung Sing???

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
Another questions: Do the techniques in Buk Sing really differ from Hung Sing???
Nah... it's all Choy Lee Fut. In Hung Sing, we do "X" this way, Buk Sing does "Y" & Chan does "Z", but it's all CLF.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Tiger Fist said:
Yeah it is a very good school!

John Wai was a student of Grandmaster Lee Koon Hung.

Also of Wong Gong from mainland China... and to top it all of, John is really good.

I

Infrazael

My Sifu was also taught by Sigong Hung. . . . . . . . I think Jon Wai was my Sifu's Sidi or something. . . . . and that would make him my SiSuk. . . . . arghh. . . cantonese is confusing (I'm a northerner who does a southern style lol).

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
The only difference i've noticed is that Hung Sing is a bit stiff in the waist ,where as Buk Sing uses the waist more.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Tiger Fist said:
The only difference i've noticed is that Hung Sing is a bit stiff in the waist ,where as Buk Sing uses the waist more.

Not all of us... ;)

I

Infrazael

I personally now think that the different branches differe virtually only one training methods, and very slight differences. OK, what if I use the Chop Choy more, practice only 3 forms, and drill thousands of applications??? (which is actually my training method at the moment, so this is no hypothetical either). Am I doing Buk Sing???

Lol.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The training differences & focal points are what make the 3 branches unique. You don't do Buk Sing by doing lots of Chop Choys, 3 forms & lots of applications. You do Buk Sing by going to a Buk Sing school & practicing Buk Sing methods, theories & techniques. Same with Hung Sing & Chan Family.

I

Infrazael

Well, if I can ever get myself near the San Francisco area I'm dropping by a Buk Sing school.

I would LOVE to learn both Hung and Buk.

Anyways, there only my Sifu here and some other school ran by a caucasion guy from the Doc Fai Wong lineage. . . . they are Hung-Sing if I did my research right.

But I think my Sifu has more experience so I'll stick with him :flame: .

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
Anyways, there only my Sifu here and some other school ran by a caucasion guy from the Doc Fai Wong lineage. . . . they are Hung-Sing if I did my research right.

But I think my Sifu has more experience so I'll stick with him :flame: .
I'm kinda curious of the Doc Fai Wong CLF ,not that it's not CLF ,but they do it with a Tai Chi like flavor.

I wonder where that came about?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Tiger Fist said:
I'm kinda curious of the Doc Fai Wong CLF ,not that it's not CLF ,but they do it with a Tai Chi like flavor.

I wonder where that came about?

Jeff... check PM...

I

Infrazael

Yeah Sean. Sifu Mak is my Sifu. . . .

Anyways, where do you study???

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah... that's pretty much it... just those 3. There's been mingling between the 3 to be sure, but just those 3 schools.

Latest Discussions