Choy Lay Fut

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always wondered, do any of you know of any Choy Lay Fut Sifu who is also well grounded in Wing Chun???

Meaning experience in Wing Chun as well?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
I always wondered, do any of you know of any Choy Lay Fut Sifu who is also well grounded in Wing Chun???

Meaning experience in Wing Chun as well?

Whoooo!!!!!!!!!! :D

Try the Ng's of Chicago. I know Phillip (Sam Ng's son) is a WC practitioner, but I'm not sure of his CLF training, but I'd have to guess he's got some.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i was wondering about plumb blossom fist as well.
thanks for this thread
in fact, i was reading up on it from this source plumblossom.net
it seems to have a big list of forms and other information.

This is going to be a school i am going to join (part time) when i am away from california and away from 7*mantis.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plumblossom.net is Doc Fai Wong's website & organization. He teaches Choy Li Fut & Taiji. For him, it's his org name, not style name.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how's his reputation in the art?
his site didnt seem too commercial to me, but what did you mean by
For him, it's his org name, not style name.
im going to be a country that only has 1 kung fu school in the entire country!!!! and it derives from this organization/lineage

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
how's his reputation in the art?

It depends on who you ask. CLF is highly polarized & normally has very "enthusiastic" players who support their family or school with the same amount of enthusiasm.

DFW as far as I'm concerned is as good as any teacher in the art and is better than most. He's studied 3 different lines of CLF & teaches them all in his organization as one version instead of 3. There are things that signify which school of CLF a set comes from, but in the end all CLF is CLF.

mantis said:
his site didnt seem too commercial to me, but what did you mean by
im going to be a country that only has 1 kung fu school in the entire country!!!! and it derives from this organization/lineage

Actually his org is very commercial & has been since it's inception. He teaches good CLF & makes a good living doing it. He set out to make money teaching kung fu & has succeeded. Many people view this as selling out & others as good business. I tend to be from the latter perspective. You get out of Kung Fu what you put into it. So if somebody can make a living doing it, good for them.

chessman71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
About DFW, i visited with Lee Koon Hung at his school in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. a couple of years before he passed away and I asked him about DFW. He smiled and said that DFW practiced "taiji choy lay fut" and, no, it wasn't a compliment.

If I was in the San Fran area and wanted choy lay fut, I would go to Lee's younger kung fu brother, Tat Mao Wong. Both of those men have a reputation for fighting, unlike DFW.

Dave C.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
chessman71 said:
About DFW, i visited with Lee Koon Hung at his school in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. a couple of years before he passed away and I asked him about DFW. He smiled and said that DFW practiced "taiji choy lay fut" and, no, it wasn't a compliment.

If I was in the San Fran area and wanted choy lay fut, I would go to Lee's younger kung fu brother, Tat Mao Wong. Both of those men have a reputation for fighting, unlike DFW.

Dave C.
thanks
doesnt really matter
i am going to visit a country that has a SINGLE one kung fu school, and that's the only one!
besides, i would be interested in the school especially that he was dissed by another master. I have this negative attitude towards schools who dis other schools/arts.

thank you though, i appreciate your feedback.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
chessman71 said:

Dave C.

Interesting. Do you play CLF?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, we use it all the time. Although we stopped using it when refering to fighting at least for our really advanced jau gows.

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also it's a good way to get some experience with other practitioners (like your seniors or other styles) without being offensive by asking if they want to play hands instead of something that could be perceived as matching hands or the like.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Also it's a good way to get some experience with other practitioners (like your seniors or other styles) without being offensive by asking if they want to play hands instead of something that could be perceived as matching hands or the like.
i guess you're right
"touching hands" doesnt sound "right" to me either

lotusfist26

White Belt
Reaction score
hey how you doing sean. BTW I'm the guy you recommended ng family in Chicago to. I've been out for a month but I'm back again. JUst wanted to say Philip Ng is mostly a Wing chun guy and he does some Tae Kwon Do also. But of course he does some CLF also but he is in China trying to become an actor. He just did a documentary on AMC also. But training with Sam is great and he included me in the Chinatown Lion dancing parade and took us to lunch afterword. The only thing I'm having a little troble with is overextending my elbows when coming in contact. But I'll get used to it....

Latest Discussions