Choy Lay Fut

I

Infrazael

And quite a bit of internal political strife between the branches too. However, Buk Sing tend to ally with us mwahahaha. . . . . .

P

PantherFist

Clfsean,

I have a lot of respect for your Sifu and Sigung and in Fut San CLF. I have an old inside kung fu magazine which shows Sifu Doc Fai Wong demonstrating the Five Animal form, according to DFW his teacher Grandmaster Lau Bun learnt it from his teachers wife, and though it wasn,t a CLF form he taught it to his students. I was wondering is the form still taught today, by your Sifu and Sigung.
I have at home a DVD of the form 'Left Right Shooting Snake Fist' by your Sigung, I thourghly enjoyed it.
Ian

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ian... thanks a lot.

Yeah that's the story of how 5 Animal got brought into CLF. Sigung does still teach that set out, but it's one of the last learned at his school.

Sifu hasn't mentioned it yet so I haven't bothered him about it. When he says "Do this..." as he teaches a form, I just follow. I'll ask him through the form what it is & he'll tell me. So far though, he hasn't said anything about 5 Animals. :wink:
Who's your school?

P

PantherFist

I train under Sifu Edmund Ng (Ho Tak) in Newcastle Upon Tyne, England

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent! I'm afraid I'm not familar with him directly, but I've heard from my Sifu he's top shelf CLF!

I

Infrazael

My Sifu is Mak Hin Fai of the Lee Koon Hung lineage.

We also have 5 Animal, but like all CLF (i believe) the panther is our primary weapon.

I wonder, do you guys have "Fu-Pow" (Tiger-Leopard) Form? We have it, I've seen it only once but it's pretty cool. I can't wait to learn it.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
My Sifu is Mak Hin Fai of the Lee Koon Hung lineage.

We also have 5 Animal, but like all CLF (i believe) the panther is our primary weapon.

I wonder, do you guys have "Fu-Pow" (Tiger-Leopard) Form? We have it, I've seen it only once but it's pretty cool. I can't wait to learn it.
Nah... we don't have Fu-Pow. Plus our 5 Animal is different than the LKH 5 Animal. I've seen TMW & John Wai do that one. Ours is an internal set.

Lau Bun, the guy who brought CLF in America in 1922 & founded our school in the 1930's replaced a lot of the ping ahn choy (leopard fist punches) with plain ol' chop choys. They worked alot better against the bigger Americans he was fighting at first.

I

Infrazael

Lau Bun, the guy who brought CLF in America in 1922 & founded our school in the 1930's replaced a lot of the ping ahn choy (leopard fist punches) with plain ol' chop choys. They worked alot better against the bigger Americans he was fighting at first.
Plain Chop Choy? Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the Ping Ahn choy more plain? (simple horizontal punch vs. diving cyclic stabbing punch).

Plus, wouldn't the Ping Ahn have worked against Americans just as well, since it usually aims for the neck/nose area as well?

Unless I have no idea what the Ping Ahn you're talking about is.

Peace,

Infrazael

I

Infrazael

Sean, you still haven't answered my questions lol.

Anyways, just to let you know since you brought up mingling between branches, the LKH branch is actually Hung-Sing with alot of Chan influences.

I've never seen "pure" (i guess lau ban or the ng family) Hung-Sing, but I heard it looks quite different.

Still CLF though.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh crap sorry.

Lau Bun used the ping ahn choy sparingly. He preferred the full fist to the body/head/neck/etc... Against the larger, thicker Americans (muscle & bones structures), his ping ahn (leopard paw) chop choy didn't have the penetration that he got in Asia. So he swapped it to a closed fist for more distributed blow... hammer vs nail kinda example. Lau Bun was fierce but everything I've heard & pics I've seen of him, even in his prime, wasn't a big guy.

Yeah I know LKH's lineage. His stuff is mix of Hung Sing & Chan to be sure, plus a lot of his interpretation (ala Lau Bun if you will). It looks good & is plenty effective.

I

Infrazael

Yes, but the leopard paw with a strong wrist on the throat would destroy anyone, regardless of size.

But to each his own.

Sean, I've never seen either the DFW, Lau Ban or Ng lineage Hung-Sing, so can you explain how it differs from our LKH stuff?

Thanks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A strong leopard to the throat of anybody would destroy most folks. True enough... if you A) can reach them or B) have them lower their throat to plant said leopard paw into.

As far as seeing it... ain't much on video & describing it. It's not much different than what you're used to seeing, but at the same time it is. The easiest way to describe it is fewer kicks (read almost none), slower more deliberate feet (lots of in fighting & checking), big circles with the hands and the tendency of being "un-pretty".

Ng lineage? Which Ng? Ng Fu han from LA or Sam Ng in Chicago? Sam Ng is LKH... Ng Fu Han is Chan family 100%. He's related to Chan Heurng.

I

Infrazael

Very interesting Sean. Our family tends to rely on raw speed and power. . . . . . with lots of waist rotation. I don't know who said that Hung-Sing uses "less" waist than Buk Sing, but I have to see it to believe it.

The idea of infighting is very interesting. Remember when we discussed how your CLF tends to move "into" the opponent? Well, so do we. . . . . but we don't do it deliberately and carefully, if that is something you guys are known for.

Us LKH guys like to swing and spin repeatedly. I don't know how "reckless" you guys are, or even Buk Sing for that matter, but we tend to simply crash into our opponents.

Virtually ever combination has this motto, by Sifu of course. . .....

Something along the lines of this. . . ...

"Sao!!!--Gwa!!!--Fan!!!--Kup!!!--Chop!!!. . . . . AND CHASE 'EM!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
Very interesting Sean. Our family tends to rely on raw speed and power. . . . . . with lots of waist rotation. I don't know who said that Hung-Sing uses "less" waist than Buk Sing, but I have to see it to believe it.
Oh we're waist aplenty. But from the vids I've seen of LKH CLF, we're comparitively slow & planted. We move a lot, but not in the same fashion as y'all & the waist in on every single punch & kick we throw. Not a single one left out.

Infrazael said:
The idea of infighting is very interesting. Remember when we discussed how your CLF tends to move "into" the opponent? Well, so do we. . . . . but we don't do it deliberately and carefully, if that is something you guys are known for.
It's not so much "deliberate" as it is a left over of running them the **** over. :xtrmshock But once on the inside, it becomes a short range game with long hand punches & lots of short, nifty footwork. Think traps, lock, press, kick, sweep on the inside.

Infrazael said:
Us LKH guys like to swing and spin repeatedly. I don't know how "reckless" you guys are, or even Buk Sing for that matter, but we tend to simply crash into our opponents.
We swing for the fence, but no spinning. Rather them not see our back... :wink2:

Infrazael said:
Virtually ever combination has this motto, by Sifu of course. . .....

Something along the lines of this. . . ...

"Sao!!!--Gwa!!!--Fan!!!--Kup!!!--Chop!!!. . . . . AND CHASE 'EM!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.
Lau Bun... "All I need is Gwa, Sow, Chop"...

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Infrazael said:

Infrazael;

I'm not sure who your sifu is, so he could be a bit different. But it is a considerable difference between the use of hip rotation in Hung Sing and Buk Sing CLF. Ive not only seen it in person, but i have various CLF video performaces by Masters and Grandmasters from each and Buk Sing uses the hip rotation "ALOT more.

Once i get settled in here in Boston and get a pc, i'd share a few with you.:ultracool

Infrazael said:

I myself have never seen a CLF stylist that didn't fight that way. CLF is famous for it's blitzkreig (overwhelming) type attacks.

jeff:)

I

Infrazael

Black Tiger Fist said:
Infrazael;

I'm not sure who your sifu is, so he could be a bit different. But it is a considerable difference between the use of hip rotation in Hung Sing and Buk Sing CLF. Ive not only seen it in person, but i have various CLF video performaces by Masters and Grandmasters from each and Buk Sing uses the hip rotation "ALOT more.

Once i get settled in here in Boston and get a pc, i'd share a few with you.:ultracool

I myself have never seen a CLF stylist that didn't fight that way. CLF is famous for it's blitzkreig (overwhelming) type attacks.

Jeff > yes I agree that Buk sing probably uses the waist alot more, I've seen their videos. However that doesn't stop us from using ours as much, if you preferred.

After all, we fight like Hung-Sing, we fight like Chan too (ok, a mixture. . . . . i surrender!!!) :ultracool

buk sing is pretty sweet.

someday a CLF guy will combine all three branches and become invincible

until then. . .. . i'll train hard

as for the crashing, OF COURSE WE DO THAT!!!!!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHA other silly styles don't our destructive powers BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace guys,

Infrazael

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
as for the crashing, OF COURSE WE DO THAT!!!!!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHA other silly styles don't our destructive powers BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace guys,

Infrazael

Infrazael,

Not to bust your bubble, but Black Tiger also blitzkreigs when it attacks, but with alot of power like Hung Gar's. :whip:

Infact, the idea in Black Tiger is to destroy their attack, so we attack an attack.:mp5: :jedi1:

:uhyeah:

I

Infrazael

Black Tiger Fist said:
Infrazael,

Not to bust your bubble, but Black Tiger also blitzkreigs when it attacks, but with alot of power like Hung Gar's. :whip:

Infact, the idea in Black Tiger is to destroy their attack, so we attack an attack.:mp5: :jedi1:

:uhyeah:

Hey, sounds good. Of course, all Southern styles dominate BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!