" Chinese Wrestling "

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was my first impression, too. But then to me, it was a little different - seemed like the techniques were cleaner and crisper with more precision - less grabbing, gi tugging, and "dancing". I also liked that the throws were done with great control to minimize chance of injury. This was my first real look at Chinese wrestling - I liked it.
We protect the opponent also, maybe just in the competition only. We always pull the opponent's gi on one side when we throw to make sure he landed on one side and not no the head.

I don't know of any dancing in Judo. It's no nonsense in my experience.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's JUDO to me. That's how we did it before........No stomping though. We didn't have the habit to tell the opponent that we are coming.
This is because Jimmy is having a bad influence on you lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We protect the opponent also, maybe just in the competition only. We always pull the opponent's gi on one side when we throw to make sure he landed on one side and not no the head.

I don't know of any dancing in Judo. It's no nonsense in my experience.
My MMA sparring partner does the kettle bell swings and the plate rotation.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone do this on here? @ 2:06 just picks him up..lol
Yes, Shuai Jiao ancestor styles are baked into a few different traditional CMA. But it's also a standalone combat sport.

Whether or not you'd learn it in a school depends a lot on the teacher. Some Tai Chi schools do this stuff, many don't. Hung Kuen schools often do.

It's also a subset of San Shou, full contact standing mixed CMA. Cung Le did a great book on it.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a lot, lot older than Japan.
Who cares, I don't like either one. If I want to learn grappling, it would be either wrestling or BJJ. The action starts AFTER they are on the ground. Shooting is a lot more effective than all the throws in Judo that pull the opponent in, turn and throw. It just take a little practice in resisting and it's going to be hard to throw like Judo.

Look good in show like in the videos because the opponent literally jump up to be thrown. When opponent knows how to resist the throw, it's going to look messy and like tuck of wall.

You do NOT want to turn your back to the opponent to throw!!! Watch out the chokes from behind!!!!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shooting is a lot more effective than all the throws in Judo that pull the opponent in, turn and throw.
I'll take a good throw over shooting any day. For example shooting in on someone is probably not a good option for you, but a trip or a throw is still very much a viable technique for you.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who cares, I don't like either one. If I want to learn grappling, it would be either wrestling or BJJ.
But it is wrestling. Every ancient civ developed the same wrestling. You can find it all over the place.

The training is all the same.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll take a good throw over shooting any day. For example shooting in on someone is probably not a good option for you, but a trip or a throw is still very much a viable technique for you.
You learn those before? I did. It's easy to resist that kind of throw.

Of cause you can argue, it's not easy to resist a master. OF CAUSE!!! But against someone that is just ordinary learning for a year or two, it's easy. BUT if you have a few years, even a master is going to find it hard.

I take a shoot over a throw any time of the day.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You learn those before? I did. It's easy to resist that kind of throw.

Of cause you can argue, it's not easy to resist a master. OF CAUSE!!! But against someone that is just ordinary learning for a year or two, it's easy. BUT if you have a few years, even a master is going to find it hard.

I take a shoot over a throw any time of the day.
How do you feel about sweeps.

I like sweeps.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I like sweeps.
Yes, sweeps are good. Anything that I don't have to turn my back towards the opponent. Sweeps are fast.

It's easier than people think to resist those throws. I can tell you just simple stiff arms will make it a lot harder for him to pull you in to throw you. Even after he turn to try to throw you over the hip, you just sit lower, it will make it very hard for him to pull you over the hip or leg. People that practice a few months of Judo or whatever knows very well how to do it.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I like sweeps.
I want to put it in another post because it's important. You don't see this and Judo demonstrate sweeps that often, NOT because it's not effective. It is NOT as pretty.

Believe it or not, when I was learning Judo long time ago, I didn't like sweeps ONLY because it's not as fancy as those throws.

But sweeps are actually very useful. You can actually end a fight without hurting anyone(best case) by just sweep the leg, drop the guy and that's the end of it. Now I appreciate sweeps.

Same as shoot, trip to make the guy fell backwards, it's nothing pretty about it, but it's so much harder to defend. I know, CMA guys don't like it, it looks dirty.

AND the best way to defend a shoot is SPRAW!!, looks ugly, but since the early 2000 when they discover the Spraw, it really ended the dominance of shoot and take down. Now you don't see people shoot that much because everyone learn Spraw.

Spraw is so ugly, jumping back, straight leg far apart anchor to the ground to resist the push from the shoot. Might be it's too ugly for some people to learn!!!

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still like catching fish in the river.
AND the best way to defend a shoot is SPRAW!!, looks ugly, but since the early 2000 when they discover the Spraw, it really ended the dominance of shoot and take down. Now you don't see people shoot that much because everyone learn Spraw.
Alan, of course you speak Chinese ...and also very good English, but not as your native tongue, so allow me to offer a couple of corrections. First, as you see in the previous sentence, the expression is "of course", not "of cause". The second correction is more relevant. The term you want to use is "sprawl" not "spraw".

The sprawl was not "discovered" in 2000. It has been around forever, probably for thousands of years. I started wrestling as a kid way back in the mid 1960s and it was the most fundamental shoot defense back then ...and one thing my old, arthritic body can still do today. But good shooters can often set a guy up and beat the sprawl. That's another thing that's been true forever!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sprawling has been around for hundreds of millions of years.

Animals that grapple sprawl naturally. Whoever saw a tiger take another tigers legs out? Nope they meet head to head, whatever level.

That's a key element of tiger Kung fu. Enemy goes low, you lower, with claws out.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll take a good throw over shooting any day.
Let's compare shooting (single leg, or double legs) and face to face throw (foot sweep, front cut, inner hook, outer hook, leg spring, ...).

When you shoot,

- Your opponent has 2 free arms.
- Your head is fully exposed for punching.

When you use face to face throw,

- You use your arms to deal with your opponent's arms (your opponent doesn't have free arms). You then use one of your leg to deal with one of your opponent's legs.
- Your head is not exposed for punching.

In the following "inner hook" example, you use

- left hand to control your opponent's right arm.
- right hand to push on his neck (this will block his left arm attack).
- right leg to hook your opponent's left leg.

When you apply this throw, you will have less chance to be punched on your head than when you shoot.

Latest Discussions