"China" scrubbed from Red Dawn, now...North Korea

Discussion in 'The Rec Room (Sports and Entertainment)' started by billc, Mar 16, 2011.

1. billc

billc Grandmaster

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Well, so much for the remake of Red Dawn. Apparently China is too big a market to offend so the studio has ordered every last trace of China scrubbed from the Red Dawn movie to be replaced by Kim Jong Il's North Korea. I know you have to suspend disbelief for movies to work, but that is just too much work.

2. bushidomartialarts

bushidomartialarts Senior Master

Forgive my ignorance - is this a new Red Dawn movie, or some doctored release for the Chinese?

3. David43515

David43515 Master Black Belt

New one.

4. bushidomartialarts

So basically the new movie will include product placement for China by not making them the bad guys.

5. Omar B

Omar B Senior Master

Whatever. It was never about who the enemy was, it was always about outsiders coming in and taking over America. The movie's already done filming btw, so I guess they will have to CGI in Korean script on stuff and I guess they'll just assume the asian actors still look Korean enough.

6. Blindside

Blindside Senior Master

• Founding Member
    Can anyone even remotely imagine North Korea trying to stage an airborne and amphibious assault on the western US? Maybe if they place the locale in Hawaii someone might be able to suspend their disbelief, but the mainland? And they try to hold it for more than a month? It sounds like a great way to lose an entire expeditionary force.

7. Empty Hands

Empty Hands Senior Master

There isn't a country in the world now that could. I'm not even sure that the USSR was so capable, even at the height of their power.

8. Blindside

Blindside Senior Master

• Founding Member
    I agree, alien invasion is the more plausible storyline.

9. Omar B

Omar B Senior Master

Yeah, it's a tough pill to swallow considering our sheer scale.

10. billc

billc Grandmaster

You are right Omar, since the movie is already finished they are digitally erasing anything that remotely signals that China was the origianal attacking country. Flags, insignia, stencils on vehicles, just imagine how much work that is going to be.

11. billc

billc Grandmaster

Not only our scale but North Korea's lack of scale. It would be nice to hear Kim Jong Il sing again, I loved him in Team America. Maybe they will add one of his grand spectacles to the movie.

Sing for us Kim:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  12. bushidomartialarts

At least they've got that part right. KJI was born to be a movie bad guy. Can't you just see him saying "No, Mister Bond, I expect you to die!"

13. MA-Caver

MA-Caver Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Remember back in the 40's Japan, that tiny island nation once had a plan for the invasion of the United States, so why would it be at all implausible for North Korea to want to stage the same thing? You don't have to capture the ENTIRE country just enough to establish a foothold and your allies will come in to help.
    We (politically) don't want to offend the Chinese... but it would be no sweat for them to come in with their military ... oh sure big nuclear exchange and all of that... however do it swiftly enough... capture major coastal cities (LA, SF, Portland, Seattle) and will we be willing to bomb our own?
    The premise of the original was that the Soviets invaded and used Cuban auxiliaries to help out. There was a small nuclear exchange which were indeed strategically done, and then allowing conventional warfare to take over.

So change it all to China and N.Korea and you got your movie.

14. billc

billc Grandmaster

Your answer is mostly correct. The only thing you need to add to fix this problem, re-shoot the end for an alternate end for the chinese Market. In the alternate, the chinese win. End of problem.

15. CoryKS

CoryKS Senior Master

Well, if having a realistically capable invasion force isn't a requirement, why not have the invaders be Zulus? I'd pay to see that.

16. VegasM4

VegasM4 Yellow Belt

Capturing LA?I think there are more guns in the hands of LA gang bangers than there are in the entire North Korean military LOL.Trust me,there is no long country in the world that has the expeditionary capability to invade the USA.I spent many years in the US Marine Corps being involved in amphibous operations/planning.The US is the only country that has a true full scale global power projection capability.There are a few other countries that have a "limited" global power projection capability (i.e. UK, France, Russia).China has a massive military, but they lack the amphibious shipping and "blue water" naval capability to project that military power beyond the Pacific Rim.

17. Big Don

Big Don Sr. Grandmaster

IMO, this is worse than the producers of 2012 wimping out and not destroying the Kaaba. At least radical muslims actually do attack people for their portrayal in art. The Chicoms have not been shown to do that.123