Children's curriculi; watered down ???

Children's martial arts classes:

• Should be the same material as in the "regular" classes.

• Should be different material than the "regular" classes.

• Children shouldn't be taught martial arts.

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

Raven001

In Tracy's Kenpo the kids program is different. They have the first 10 yellow belt techniques the same and then after that 2 techniques are added each belt instead of 30 tech per belt and they do less forms

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Raven001 said:
In Tracy's Kenpo the kids program is different. They have the first 10 yellow belt techniques the same and then after that 2 techniques are added each belt instead of 30 tech per belt and they do less forms
That seems odd. Kids have to learn 10 techniques for yellow belt but then only 2 per belt thereafter?

Which forms are required for kids and which aren't?

Just curious.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes I teach children ,i find it most rewarding yet very challenaging.

I wouldnt say watered down but just re arranged to suit the students, as already stated.
I have a base curriculim with addtional material for the more adept.
Something that i have experinced is that it realy depends on the children in the class as to how much you can teach them,
So i have seperated the childrens class primarliy based on character,attitude and skill, Its great to teach a group of positive , like minded enthusiastic children ,that want to learn . its just like seperating the weeds from the garden ,oh pehaps that is the the wrong attitdue on my part,
but the group dynamics of a childrens class makes a big difference as to the material that you can teach.

A Sample of the junior syllabus to junior purple

junior yellow
Basics

junior orange
5 techniques , blocking set one
ie, Delayed Sword thru Captured Twiggs

junior purple
5 techniques ,short form 1
ie Grasp of Death thru Sword and Hammer
freestyle b1a thru b4a

advance purple1&2
kicking set 1
striking set 1
long form 1
co ordination set 1

I have just completed teaching my students these units approx 18-24 months in duration.

I chose to take this option in skilling my students in basics ,in disguse lol, using the above sets ,as to allow for enjoyment of both teaching and learning the orange belt material which is to follow ,ie cluthing feathers ect

No disrespect intended, I would welcome any comments or criticism thanks for your input.cheers

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our school teaches the same techniques to both children and adults. I can see the frustration in both the kids and older ones with respect to the amount of material to learn, but more so with the younger ones. We have no junior grades and as such no junior black belts. My instructor feels that a black belt should defend themselves against anyone that may attack. I can't argue with that. A typical child's size, weight, physical and mental strength is not developed to do that no matter how well they can perform a form or technique. I have proven this time and time again with my own tournament champion kids.

I see the frustration and slow learning curve in my kids as they struggle through the material and are quickly loosing interest. If I was to open my own school I would change the system a little in order to keep their attention and reward them more often for their achievements. A reward system that encourages kids and recognizes them for their work is a must to keep their interest and the pressure on their parents to keep bringing them to class (just good business).

R

Raven001

I meant that after yellow they learn an additional 2 techniques per belt so
Orange = 12
Purple = 14
Blue = 16
Green = 18
3rd Brown = 20
2nd Brown = 22
1st Brown = 24
Black = 26

the forms are
short 1, short 2, short 3, mass atack, darkroom staff, little tiger There are a few more just cant remember

A

altondragon

Students ages 13 and up at our school train alongside adults...this instills values such as family and brotherhood..and polling the teens they find it helpful to work out with grown adults.. for in a real life stituation they will need to know what it feels like and what they need to do to overcome the strength of a full grown adult. Now children 6-13...i wouldnt call it watered down rather modified to fit their needs and mentality. The very little ones (4-6 sometimes older depending on the child)..less focus on the punch and kick..rather: helping them to listen...respect boundries follow, directions and instill confidence... the development of the punch and kick will follow.

I

Isrephael

Forgive the correction....

But, the plural is "curricula", not "curriculi".
"Curriculi" would mean "of the curriculum"

That having been said, I think that some parents might object to children being taught how to rupture/maim/cripple/kill and all the other gruesome aspects of a rather hardcore MA like Kempo.
Although, while the parents might object, I'm sure the future psychotherapists of the children would appreciate the job security.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think most kids are ready for the serious study of the martial arts, looking into techniques or even basic applications.

Kids Currculi, watered down

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpobuff said:
Our school teaches the same techniques to both children and adults. I can see the frustration in both the kids and older ones with respect to the amount of material to learn, but more so with the younger ones. We have no junior grades and as such no junior black belts. My instructor feels that a black belt should defend themselves against anyone that may attack.
I agree that a black belt should be able to defend him/herself. But then...what age is appropriate to promote a child/adolescent/teenager to black belt in your opinion if you do not have a junior black belt?

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
16 years old, anyone remember back when that was the rule?

R

rainbows

Back when I did kenpo, to turn a junior black into a senior 1st dan, we had to be 18 and we had to do the whole test again. I was 16 getting a junior black...

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I train along side my children 8-9. Theres is watered down. At the age they do not need any more than that. Most important also is when and why would I use what I have learned as a child. One student of 12 years old, asked do I gotta kill the person. Some techniques even though watered down still seem to lethal say for a playground fight. Even though this part of explaining is not part of our teachings I make well known to my kids when and why reagrding people and situations. If my child was to break another kids arm at 8-10 yrs of age I do not know what type of trouble we would be into, with the school and parents.

Latest Discussions