child abductions

H

hand2handCombat

theres been a lot of child abuductions in this nation. most of them wind up in a funeral. i say martial arts would reduce the chances of the abdutions sucess. but what type of art should be a childs primary one? striking, grappling, or weapons?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would argue that most of these abductions are by far the extreme. Most kids get taken by family or people they know, not by weirdos jumping out of cars. If it isn't a stranger, well, most kids aren't going to fight back.

I would argue that education is more important that anything that a purely physical curriculum could teach them. There are a variety of programs that focus on teaching kids street awareness, having a family codeword, etc, how and when to yell for help.

I'm talking about self-defense, not martial arts, the two overlap but most people focus on the physical too much, particularly with kids. When I was teaching kids physical defenses against abductions I mostly taught that they should bite and claw for the eyes, and be yelling for help the whole time.

Lamont

OP
S

sweeper

no martial art is gona keep a kid from getting abducted, simply there is next to no way a kid could out fight an adult.

OP
A

Amanda Sedai

Originally posted by hand2handCombat

theres been a lot of child abuductions in this nation. most of them wind up in a funeral. i say martial arts would reduce the chances of the abdutions sucess. but what type of art should be a childs primary one? striking, grappling, or weapons?

Aren't weapon-based arts kind of bad for self-defense purposes? How many people (children or adults) carry nunchaku or a katana around with them?

OP
J

Jim1

Originally posted by sweeper

no martial art is gona keep a kid from getting abducted, simply there is next to no way a kid could out fight an adult.

So true. Even if your kid's a 9th dan black belt (with the right mcdojo :rofl: ) they still won't be near as strong as an adult. Perhaps teaching your kids to run like the wind would help ;)

OP
S

sweeper

maybe but odds are a kid isn't gona outrun an adult.

and as to the use of wepaon arts? well if you want to deffend yourself why not carry a stick or nunchaku? I know alot of people who always keep weapons on them, personaly if I were to end up in a hand to hand fight I wouyld want something that would give me an advantage over my oponant.

OP
W

Wertle

Aren't weapon-based arts kind of bad for self-defense purposes? How many people (children or adults) carry nunchaku or a katana around with them?

It depends on how they're taught, I guess. Techniques you learn from a hanbo can simulate anything of roughly that shape, like umbrellas or a rolled up newspaper or whatever. While people may not carry around nunchaku, they may carry around a variety of things that would simulate the momentum weapons, like keychains (and I have some little cousins that keep massive keychain collections on them x_x)

OP
S

sweeper

well I would say if you have a broad enough training with weapons you can realy use almost anything as a weapon, or at leaste use anything to our tactical advantage, from grass to a rock to a handfull of coins or a single key, they can all be realy usefull in a fight.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
weapons may not be the best idea, but teaching a child not only how to strike, but WHAT to strike, can help.

If a child knows the vulnerable points on the human body (eyes, nose, ears, throat, groin) they can do a lot of damage...

if a child can poke his fingers hard into the eye sockets or throat of an attacker, the attacker is gonna drop the kid either because they can't see or they can't breathe.

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by Blindside

I would argue that most of these abductions are by far the extreme. Most kids get taken by family or people they know, not by weirdos jumping out of cars. If it isn't a stranger, well, most kids aren't going to fight back.

I would argue that education is more important that anything that a purely physical curriculum could teach them. There are a variety of programs that focus on teaching kids street awareness, having a family codeword, etc, how and when to yell for help.

I agree. Even if the kid has a stick, it takes an awful lot of training for them to be able to use it properly. We often "sword fight" in my school with blockers (padded bats) and the kids could never get in more than one strike before I was on them. And with their limited power, that strike wouldn't faze me.

Two definite problems:
1) kids are, more often than not, abducted by family members
2) kids are very trusting of people that seem friendly. They are often misled into believing strangers are mean people. We gotta break that image. Even after self-defense classes, many kids would walk away with a stranger looking for his dog or cat. Go figure!

Running like the dickens is good because it can draw attention to their plight. They also shouldn't say "no." They should say something like "you're not my mommy." I've been in too many stores where misbehaving kids say "no" when they don't get their way. People just ignore it, feeling embarassed for the adult. Grabbing onto objects like their bicycles or benches is also good because it creates a difficulty for the abductor. Other than that (and maybe a child LoJack system) I can't think of any way that a kid could really survive.

WhiteBirch

OP
T

tonbo

I would throw my vote in for the art of "common-sense-do", mostly on the part of the parents.

Make sure your kids are playing in safe environments. Don't let 'em play where they are not being observed by adults; *know* their friends' parents. Get involved in as many of their activities as possible, and make sure that someone you trust is looking after your kids if you are not.

Teach your kids that NO adult needs help from a child, EVER. Yes, I know this is not always the case, but in most cases, it is. If an adult asks a child to help find a lost puppy/kitten/pet, or help find *anything*, chances are it's a ruse. Never take candy, offers for rides, etc. Point is, if an adult needs help, they can find another adult--not a child--and your kids need to know that.

Teach your kids that they CAN say NO to an adult if the situation doesn't feel right. Teach them about the "bad touch", and that just because the person is an adult doesn't mean they are right. Empower your kids to say NO if an adult asks them to do something that they know is wrong. After all, most molestations and abuse comes from "trusted" people.

Last, but not least, teach your kids the power of noise. If they are grabbed, teach them that they should try to attract as MUCH attention as possible. Scream, kick, throw things, whatever it takes. Bad guys are like roaches--they don't like the light, and they don't like the light on THEM. They prey on kids cuz kids don't fight back as much as adults. Teach your kids to strike all the areas they can WHILE screaming. Key is, be vocal. Let other people know that this situation isn't right.

Fact is, *nothing* will ever protect our kids 100%, no matter what. Kids are abducted from even the best of situations (I live in Utah, and the Elizabeth Smart case is a perfect example). However, we *can* teach our kids how to fight back, and how to get the help they need.

Above all else, *be* there with your kids. Know who they are with. Pay attention to their questions. Be their friend, even if they start telling you things you don't want to hear. It all pays off.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a BIG issue with me. Thanks for listening......

Peace--

OP
S

Shinzu

there is an article in this months issue of black belt magazine that deals with this subject.

i would say the first step is to make your child realize these dangers and make them aware of what and how to do things if a situation arises.

being a parent i know how scary this is for everyone. hell i still buckle my son in when we go shopping. you can never be too careful!

OP
J

J-kid

If someone is after your kids you dont want to instruct them to attack the adult inless no other way. Most adults out power kids intil there teens, Running for help, or screaming making a seen. another good idea is to talk to your child about talking to strangers , Not going out past dark etc. Avoiding is the best protection for your child. Its good for your kid to join MA , But dont expect a 7 year old to be able take on a 40 or 50 year old man , Karate kid is a movie , Please dont forget. Your Friend Judo-kid

OP
F

fissure

My oldest son is 5.I can't imagine anything he could do physically to a grown man that would'nt just piss him off.:(

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Teach them to do what they do best. SCREAM AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNG!

OP
S

sweeper

well if he was realy fast and realy flexable he might be able to land a high thrusting heal kick to the groin, you get the angle right and that will do more than piss the person off.. if he isn't wearing a cup.. and if he's a he..

OP
F

fissure

Come on he's 5, he weighs 48lbs.You or any other man could pick him up with one hand by the waist band of his pants!
Teach them to do what they do best. SCREAM AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNG!
This is the best advise for a child IMO!

Latest Discussions