chain-punching damagewise.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What drill are you referring to? I didn't see a drill listed in either of those posts you quoted.
Drills such as:

- use circular movement to deal with straight line movement,
- use kick to interrupt punches.
- block your opponent's punches from outside in,
- block your opponent's punch from inside out,
- side way footwork,
- side way head movement,

If chain punch is considered as a powerful attack, proper defense and counter should be drilled too. Same argument as if you train "leg shooting", you should also train "how to deal with leg shooting".

Here is one example.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drills such as:

- use circular movement to deal with straight line movement,
- use kick to interrupt punches.
- block your opponent's punches from outside in,
- block your opponent's punch from inside out,
- side way footwork,
- side way head movement,

If chain punch is considered as a powerful attack, proper defense and counter should be drilled too. Same argument as if you train "leg shooting", you should also train "how to deal with leg shooting".

Here is one example.

That video comes up as "private", so I can't view it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I more and more want to experience some of the Jow Ga movement. You even use some of the same terminology we do, so there is almost certainly some good sharing to be had.
I can add you to the schools newsletter if you like. It'll have some of the concepts that are use in Jow Ga. For example, I spent 20 minutes today talking about how to do a shin kick, the difficulties of it, what stance height is best for the kick, how to generate the power for the kick, the mechanics of the kick, the timing of the kick, and how to use it in a self defense situation. In the past I thought I would use something like this in sparring competition, but after shin kicking a 100lb heavy bag across the floor today I don't think this kick would be a good thing to use for competitive sparring, but it would be excellent for self defense.

The shin kick that I'm talking about is the one that this guy is doing wrong lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can add you to the schools newsletter if you like. It'll have some of the concepts that are use in Jow Ga. For example, I spent 20 minutes today talking about how to do a shin kick, the difficulties of it, what stance height is best for the kick, how to generate the power for the kick, the mechanics of the kick, the timing of the kick, and how to use it in a self defense situation. In the past I thought I would use something like this in sparring competition, but after shin kicking a 100lb heavy bag across the floor today I don't think this kick would be a good thing to use for competitive sparring, but it would be excellent for self defense.

The shin kick that I'm talking about is the one that this guy is doing wrong lol.
Please do. I think Jow Ga will be part of my ongoing "watch for principles to talk about" reading/watching.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
And a circle can be overrun by an overlapping circle that is better rooted. I suspect there's a similar statement to be made about straight vs. straight, but I can't think of it at the moment.

One of the things we were working on in my old wing chun school was a straight vs. straight attack, where our punch could be used to "cut across" the opponent's attack. Kind of hard to explain in words...but I cannot find a visual aid at the moment.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Leaning forward when punching can be exploited in Kung Fu. In kung fu the power of a punch can be multiplied by punching an opponent that is moving forward, It's like a head on collision. Just recently one of the most brutal knee strikes in UFC fractured a man's skull all because he over extended (forward lean) of his punch.

The other problem with leaning forward is that it causes a weaker root which makes it possible to pull a person forward and to throw them off balance. In Jow Ga classes students work on a technique where we blend with a punch and pull the person off balance.

That is what I was getting at. :) Leaning forward like that destroys structure.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things we were working on in my old wing chun school was a straight vs. straight attack, where our punch could be used to "cut across" the opponent's attack. Kind of hard to explain in words...but I cannot find a visual aid at the moment.
We don't use that in my art, but I've trained it before. We use the concept with many of our blocks, when combined with movement. letting the straight line intersect the attacking arm (whether it's a punch or a grip) and interrupt its path.

(Touching on a separate thread recently started, this would be a "deflection".)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I was getting at. :) Leaning forward like that destroys structure.
That's a weakness that many arts take advantage of. If you watch most aiki arts (Aikido, NGA, etc.), you'll see a demonstrably upright stance is our norm, because we train so much taking advantage of a forward lean. I see some of those same habits when I watch WC videos.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sound like a technique that we have. Where both punches are straight and direct, but one punch is done at a slight angle by moving the body off center (I guess in wing chun it would be that pivot that is done on both feet.) which "shaves" the incoming punch which moves the punch. If the first punch is straight at the face and if the second punch is straight at the face so that it's shaving the first punch, then first punch will miss and the second punch will land.

If this is the same technique then conditioned forearms are a must.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly, but there are a lot of people out there who think chain punching is WC's go-to opening move. These are the same people who think Chi Sao is about chasing the hands or "playing paddy cake."
I can see them being useful tactically as a distraction for different maneuvers such as; low kicks (especially to the knee) being easier to apply because they are concerned about the fists coming at their head, to distract as you are closing and maneuvering for a take down etc.

Sometimes strike don't need to be "the end" they can be the means to another end.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
A spinning back kick comes out the same speed as a push kick for me, and it puts me in a position I can balance easier, so it really depends how good you are at throwing one.

Are you talking power or time to target?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a weakness that many arts take advantage of. If you watch most aiki arts (Aikido, NGA, etc.), you'll see a demonstrably upright stance is our norm, because we train so much taking advantage of a forward lean. I see some of those same habits when I watch WC videos.

Untill you get punched in that nicely poking out chin which is keeping your back straight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Untill you get punched in that nicely poking out chin which is keeping your back straight.
It's a trade-off of risks. People who train mostly grappling tend toward stances that mostly defend throws and takedowns. Even boxers maintain a fairly upright posture until they step into a barrage of punches. We certainly expose our chins a bit more - the field of view is our advantage in trade for the momentary exposure - but we don't wade in like a Seagal movie. When we enter without control of the attacker, things close up for protection.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a trade-off of risks. People who train mostly grappling tend toward stances that mostly defend throws and takedowns. Even boxers maintain a fairly upright posture until they step into a barrage of punches. We certainly expose our chins a bit more - the field of view is our advantage in trade for the momentary exposure - but we don't wade in like a Seagal movie. When we enter without control of the attacker, things close up for protection.

Ok. But chun is striking and akido is grappling. So they should be exibiting contrary mechanics. More importantly chun is striking from the pocket which is where that barrage of punches makes its home. And chun don't even effectively kick (as in KTFO kick. ) which is the major advantage of an upright stance.

If you are going to compromise you need to know what the compromise actually is.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. But chun is striking and akido is grappling. So they should be exibiting contrary mechanics. More importantly chun is striking from the pocket which is where that barrage of punches makes its home. And chun don't even effectively kick (as in KTFO kick. ) which is the major advantage of an upright stance.

If you are going to compromise you need to know what the compromise actually is.

Aikido doesn't work, no point in using it as a data point

VT doesn't fight "in the pocket"

VT does have effective kicks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aikido doesn't work, no point in using it as a data point

VT doesn't fight "in the pocket"

VT does have effective kicks

Mabye you are confused with sanda.

Anyway. the reason people generally stay upright ,chin high, hands low. (and because this is something to watch in all martial arts unless you actually do have a reasonable compromise).

Is because it is easier. So after an hour or training you are generally pretty sick of holding a good defensive position and you start to cheat.

chain punching rewards this by being a bit harder and faster from a center of the chest position.

So boxersise people naturally develop the same mechanics.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I personally risk my chin before my stance than my stance which affects my structure. You can see me do this in my free sparring videos over and over. A compromised structure means that everything that is born from that structure will be weak. If I blend with my opponent's punch, then I can pull my opponent off balance. When this happens my opponent's second punch will either not fire or will be weak as his body makes regaining balance a priority over punching. Is there a risk of getting hit on the chin? Yes but the penalty for being off balance is greater

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I personally risk my chin before my stance than my stance which affects my structure. You can see me do this in my free sparring videos over and over. A compromised structure means that everything that is born from that structure will be weak. If I blend with my opponent's punch, then I can pull my opponent off balance. When this happens my opponent's second punch will either not fire or will be weak as his body makes regaining balance a priority over punching. Is there a risk of getting hit on the chin? Yes but the penalty for being off balance is greater

Good luck with that. I spar guys who will punch my head off my shoulders if I tried that.

Latest Discussions