chain-punching damagewise.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think people ask this question because they are Wing Chun practitioners who want to know how to deal with Wing Chun. Jow Ga Kung fu seems to have answers for Wing Chun attacks. If you do wing Chun then I can tell you that attacking my center line will be difficult because in Jow Ga we always move it. So if that's the only game plane then the Wing Chun will fail.

You'll discover that the most evasive boxers are the ones who learn how to move off center.

No, I see this question posed by a bunch of internet warriors who say, "Yeah right, that wouldn't work against XYZ style." I see people who study it for 3 months because they heard it was "Easier" to "master" wing chun than other systems who say, "I tried using WC when sparring with other martial arts friends, and it didn't work."

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree. I think this should be called "Aikido vs Aikido student wearing boxing gloves."

But, the problem is in the posturing of the video rather than the training they are doing, which appears to me to be good training. The aikido practitioner is good and appears to me to be drilling something specific, rather than "fighting a boxer" or trying to prove something. But, YouTube videos on martial arts are always held up as evidence of something, so it doesn't come off that way.

Of course, I can't really speak to their motives, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case.

I completely understand (and rather enjoy) demo tapes showing various parts of various arts.I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, too. And I'm one of those people who really like Aikido. Just a couple days ago a buddy snatched me in a wristlock from Aikido. I'm still massaging the damn thing, it hurts.

Had that vid showed a skilled boxer against a guy playing the role of an Aikido man, I'd have disliked it just as much.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Had that vid showed a skilled boxer against a guy playing the role of an Aikido man, I'd have disliked it just as much.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm just trying to make the point that maybe this wasn't in the real world "Aikido vs Boxer" maybe the person with the gloves (who I'm convinced was Aikido student based on how he falls) was simply assisting with a drill in which someone stands and circles and allows the Aikido-ka to move in and apply his wrist lock instead of doing it to someone pretending to attack with a Samurai sword (which is the traditional way for them). So, giving them that benefit of the doubt, maybe I don't have any problem with this video.

Maybe the internet turned it into Aikido vs boxing.

I don't know, I have no reason to defend this guy or his style, I'm just bantering on the internet.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm just trying to make the point that maybe this wasn't in the real world "Aikido vs Boxer" maybe the person with the gloves (who I'm convinced was Aikido student based on how he falls) was simply assisting with a drill in which someone stands and circles and allows the Aikido-ka to move in and apply his wrist lock instead of doing it to someone pretending to attack with a Samurai sword (which is the traditional way for them). So, giving them that benefit of the doubt, maybe I don't have any problem with this video.

Maybe the internet turned it into Aikido vs boxing.

I don't know, I have no reason to defend this guy or his style, I'm just bantering on the internet.

He had gloves on. Punch Akido guy in the face untill he either catches the punch and Akidos it. Or he works out some other system of making that stuff work.

The biggest issue is that people think that if you pop your instructor in the mouth in this situation you have somehow broken their martial art.

And it it actually when you don't.

That is the biggest difference between a good martial artist and a not so good one. so if you are top of his game GSP you get fighters in who can make you look foolish. You activly seek them out.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you define as "chasing hands".
Instead of to move your hand toward your opponent's face, you move your hands toward his wrists (or arms) instead. Your hands will follow wherever your opponent's hands may go. It's a commonly strategy used by wrestler who tries to change a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP.

IMO, there are 3 levels of chasing hands.

1. Offensive approach - Move your hands toward your opponent arms while his arms is on guard.
2. Bating - Throw a punch, when your opponent blocks it, you chase his hand.
3. Defensive approach - When your opponent punches at you, you block his punch, and then chase his hand.

Here is an example of "offensive approach".

Last edited:

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I see this question posed by a bunch of internet warriors who say, "Yeah right, that wouldn't work against XYZ style." I see people who study it for 3 months because they heard it was "Easier" to "master" wing chun than other systems who say, "I tried using WC when sparring with other martial arts friends, and it didn't work."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes.Very few people understand wing chun well. It takes good teaching, learning and practice and it takes time to learn.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes.Very few people understand wing chun well. It takes good teaching, learning and practice and it takes time to learn.
I agree and with the above one begins to understand what is applicable and when is it applicable.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you train chain punches, do you also train counters for chain punches? What will that be?

"Chain punching" is a relatively committed attack. That's why I wrote that I wouldn't throw more than 3 punches without changing it up. Going past three punches and making it a "blast" makes it more likely that the opponent can:

1. simply move off the line of the attack
2. back up a step or two to avoid damage and then simply block the rest of your punches
3. disrupt your structure/turn you on your first punch so that the rest of your "flurry" is negated

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keeping your head off line.
"Chain punching" is a relatively committed attack. That's why I wrote that I wouldn't throw more than 3 punches without changing it up. Going past three punches and making it a "blast" makes it more likely that the opponent can:

1. simply move off the line of the attack
2. back up a step or two to avoid damage and then simply block the rest of your punches
3. disrupt your structure/turn you on your first punch so that the rest of your "flurry" is negated

Do you train such drill daily? Any clip available?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect when I ask this, but I am genuinely curious because the camera angle kind of sucks...but is that guy leaning his torso forward as he chain punches?
It looks like it to me. Being that it's kung fu, would I be wrong that leaning forward in WC is also frowned upon? He looks like he has some boxer in him so it might be from that.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
would I be wrong that leaning forward in WC is also frowned upon?
What's wrong with leaning forward?

superman_punch.jpg

superman_punch_1.jpg

superman_punch_2.jpg

superman_punch_3.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Leaning forward when punching can be exploited in Kung Fu. In kung fu the power of a punch can be multiplied by punching an opponent that is moving forward, It's like a head on collision. Just recently one of the most brutal knee strikes in UFC fractured a man's skull all because he over extended (forward lean) of his punch.

The other problem with leaning forward is that it causes a weaker root which makes it possible to pull a person forward and to throw them off balance. In Jow Ga classes students work on a technique where we blend with a punch and pull the person off balance.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Re "chain punching"-we have "linked" punches for development. In application-punch when you sense an opening-followed by punches or palms or other techniques.Chain ponches can be countered.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaning forward when punching can be exploited in Kung Fu. In kung fu the power of a punch can be multiplied by punching an opponent that is moving forward, It's like a head on collision. Just recently one of the most brutal knee strikes in UFC fractured a man's skull all because he over extended (forward lean) of his punch.

The other problem with leaning forward is that it causes a weaker root which makes it possible to pull a person forward and to throw them off balance. In Jow Ga classes students work on a technique where we blend with a punch and pull the person off balance.
I more and more want to experience some of the Jow Ga movement. You even use some of the same terminology we do, so there is almost certainly some good sharing to be had.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Circular defeats straight...straight defeats circular :)
And a circle can be overrun by an overlapping circle that is better rooted. I suspect there's a similar statement to be made about straight vs. straight, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Latest Discussions