Chain Mail T-Shirt against Knives?

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It takes a lot of force to drive a blade through mail. The blades aren't sharp enough to cut the material so what would break it is blunt force. When you consider a bullet from a gun doesn't have much more force than a human punch but it's focused much smaller than a fist and can cut through flesh with relative ease, getting stabbed in the gut hard enough might end up pushing the chainmail into your flesh. It turns a knife into a narrow, but blunt object. I think it would definitely up your torso's chances of not getting cut.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you consider a bullet from a gun doesn't have much more force than a human punch but it's focused much smaller than a fist and can cut through flesh with relative ease, getting stabbed in the gut hard enough might end up pushing the chainmail into your flesh.
Do you have some numbers to back up your statement that a bullet doesn't have much more force than a punch?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily have to go through the mail to injure--just like someone shot while wearing a bulletproof vest may well take some broken ribs.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
When you consider a bullet from a gun doesn't have much more force than a human punch.

YEAH! RIGHT! I WISH my fists could travel at 1400 feet per second( speed of an average factory .40 cal load).

That'd be so sweet! My fists would make those cool mini sonic boom effects every time I swung! EVEN IF I MISSED! :D

(That's of course assuming my carpals/metacarpals/wrist/forearm weren't immediately POWDERED on impact at that speed but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do his consciousness no good either.....)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I want everyone here to remember that there is no such thing as a true 'bullet proof vest'. Nor 'knife proof'. With enough velocity or hard bullet construction, any vest can be penitrated. The same goes for knives. Tantos are made to go through armor!

And did you guys know bullet proof vest won't stop a broadhead arrow? Yes even those designed to stop knives won't stop an arrow! Especially from a crossbow! Goes through both sides of a vest.

Bullet/knife resistant armor has it's place, but don't get to smug wearing it thinking it makes you a tank. You still have lots of exposed vital areas and there are weapons that will defeat the armor.

Deaf

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want everyone here to remember that there is no such thing as a true 'bullet proof vest'. Nor 'knife proof'. With enough velocity or hard bullet construction, any vest can be penitrated. The same goes for knives. Tantos are made to go through armor!

And did you guys know bullet proof vest won't stop a broadhead arrow? Yes even those designed to stop knives won't stop an arrow! Especially from a crossbow! Goes through both sides of a vest.

Bullet/knife resistant armor has it's place, but don't get to smug wearing it thinking it makes you a tank. You still have lots of exposed vital areas and there are weapons that will defeat the armor.

Deaf

I would hope no one would think that it would stop the shot. " I have chain mail armor so I don't care if the guy slashes/stabs at me because I'm knife proof" but it could be useful as the last line of defense after situational awareness, avoidance, and other countering techniques.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have some numbers to back up your statement that a bullet doesn't have much more force than a punch?
An excellent punch from a 200lb man can carry around 500 f. lbs of force (I'm not quite sure on that one though, better to check for yourself than to take my word for it but I'm not far off), a 9mm parabellum carries less than 400. A .357 magnum carries 640 f. lbs of force.

However a human would be hard pressed to exert over 30,000 PSI on a target area.
It's the focus.

Last edited:

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
YEAH! RIGHT! I WISH my fists could travel at 1400 feet per second( speed of an average factory .40 cal load).

That'd be so sweet! My fists would make those cool mini sonic boom effects every time I swung! EVEN IF I MISSED! :D

(That's of course assuming my carpals/metacarpals/wrist/forearm weren't immediately POWDERED on impact at that speed but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do his consciousness no good either.....)
If your fist was the size of a bullet (and made of the same material), weighing as much as you do, how far could you punch it into somebody? I used the word force in regards to the energy released on impact. Perhaps I misunderstand the word force. Would be pretty cool to have sonic booms though (of course accellerating your hand to that speed within the range of a punch would deglove it.) It's kinda like apples and oranges though. If a bullet goes through you you don't absorb all the kinetic energy.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was browsing Thinkgeek.com when I stumbled on this...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/miscellaneous/9080/
chain_mail.jpg

Would anyone trust this to give them some extra protection against knife attacks to the body?

Just a thought...
Watch Commando with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then you will see that the guy in the chain mail shirt gets killed and that the best defense against knives and guns is to bulk up and go shirtless!

Daniel

angrywhitepajamas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit these things do work within their specialty. My friend wears the long sleeve chain shirt when we spar. so far the major downside is not the protection offered by the mail, but the heavy metal poisoning he contracted while using the armor without padding.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Watch Commando with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then you will see that the guy in the chain mail shirt gets killed and that the best defense against knives and guns is to bulk up and go shirtless!

Daniel
With a thrust! Just as many here opined.
Now, you're blowing off some steam, Bennett...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My state does not require motorcyclists to wear protective gear, yet when I was on I-95 today, I saw a motorcyclist in a leather jacket, zipped up to his chin. In the 90 degree heat. Why? Leather jackets aren't perfect, but they are proven garments. Bikers have been wearing them for decades to protect themselves from all kinds of injuries should the laws of physics work against them.

If you really want some kind of protection against a knife attack, get a good leather jacket. Wear it zipped up to your chin. Sometimes you don't need to re-invent the wheel. ;)

If you need something that will offer you genuine protection without defensive skills....don't waste your money on clothing. Invest it on a move to a better neighborhood.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's from "thinkgeek.com"

Odds are decent that the geek appeal is higher than the actual efficacy of it. And I say this as a card-carrying, RPG-playing, Doctor Who-watching nerd.

What are you doing of a weekend that you need to armour up?! And I thought the kenpo teacher who insisted on wearing a cup every time he went into Baltimore was overdoing it.

Stuart

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, a stab would likely still get through--at least enough to cause real damage.
Unlikely, but possible depending on the strength of the guy wielding the knife. I was working as a bouncer at one of the bars on Vancouver's Main Street (near Chinatown) and one of those things prevented me from getting punctured. The impact hurt like hell and it bent a few of the rings, but the blade didn't go through. Sported a nice bruise for a while too.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's from "thinkgeek.com"

Odds are decent that the geek appeal is higher than the actual efficacy of it. And I say this as a card-carrying, RPG-playing, Doctor Who-watching nerd.

What are you doing of a weekend that you need to armour up?! And I thought the kenpo teacher who insisted on wearing a cup every time he went into Baltimore was overdoing it.

Stuart
I don't know... depending on where you're going in Baltimore (or DC, for that matter), maybe it's a smart thing to wear a cup. And chainmail. And definitely Kevlar.

;)

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mail is pretty hardcore, a lot moreso than people think. Mail will definitely stop most slashes and some stabs. An ice pick or similar is pretty hard to stop, but most "stab-proof" vests cant stop something that thin either. Mail was more effective against arrows than most armour too, and once again more effective than many believe. Tightly woven "modern" chainmail (as used in gauntlets for butchers etc) is pretty hardcore, we sell it at work (I sell knives for a living ;) ). Youd be hard pressed to stab through that stuff, let alone slash, and your attacker better be very strong or an Escrimador or something, your average person isnt going to be able to do it.

As has been said though, highly impractical for normal everyday wearing. Your better off with a leather jacket or knife resistant civilian clothing (they make hoodies and stuff out of kevlar weave now days).

So yeah, not very useful, but damned if chainmail isnt some of the best armour ever devised, what it will stop and how much it protects you would surprise a lot of people I reckon

xXStretcHXx

White Belt
Reaction score
I made a account because the stupidity of page 1 made me angry.... A real chain mail vest will protect you from just about anything, unless you were being stabbed with a good spear you can count on the chainmail saving your life, of course nothing is 100% but chainmail protected people from swords, i think it will protect you from a $5 beer can knife....

If you watch history channel entertainment shows or play video games and thing you can just stab or cut someone with real chainmail I will personally where mine and take the stab/cut(as I have before) lol

The chainmail on the wbsite is probably **** tho

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An old thread, but somehow I read it and felt like adding my 2 cents...

I guess it all depends on the quality of the chain mail. I saw a show on I think it was the Discovery Channel where they were testing it against shark bites. Guys were putting bait in their sleeves and the sharks were trying to get it. They got a few very small and superficial puncture wounds through it, but nothing major. They were bruised up from the crushing force and it looked like they could've dislocated a shoulder or elbow from the sharks' pulling, but they were pretty well protected from getting their arms cut off.

If it's effective against shark bites, I'm assuming it'll be effective against a knife stab. Not a painless type of protection, but probably enough to keep a knife from going deep enough into your body.

All dependent on the quality of materials and construction, obviously. And probably on the fit as well.

Latest Discussions