Chain Mail T-Shirt against Knives?

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was browsing Thinkgeek.com when I stumbled on this...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/miscellaneous/9080/
chain_mail.jpg

Would anyone trust this to give them some extra protection against knife attacks to the body?

Just a thought...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chain mail works best against a slashing weapon. So, it would protect against a cut, but little else. Historicly speaking, they would stop arrows (depending on the shape of the head and the range), swods, and the padding underneith may have helped with a blunt weapon.

But in short, no I would not trust my life to a chain mail shirt. You're better off practicing knife defense. Cheaper, just as effective, and it's not heavy.

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would imagine that it might help you a little bit, but as stated above.....I would not trust my life to it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All that weight and downward pressure on the breasts? No way. My weight vest has a much better design.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
chain_mail.jpg

Would anyone trust this to give them some extra protection against knife attacks to the body?

Just a thought...

Much like bullet body armor, it certainly wouldn't hurt to cover your torso if you're going in to harms way.........the best answer is avoidance and effective tactics, but such counter-measures as body armor are a good supplement to good tactics.

OP
Msby

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess $200 for something that just LOOKS kinda cool just isn't worth it eh? :)
Thanks for the input everyone. Don't worry, I wasn't considering testing this out :lol:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think it would primarily help with picking up chicks at the renaissance festival.

jf

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A few weeks ago on the News....There is a company that makes bullet proof clothes.

shirts, jackets and suits, and so on....thousands of dollars for these "dressers" out fits.....for CEO's type of people.

Makes sense..if you need them? .....Makes sense for our Troops!

Pants, shirts, underwares? that is bullet proof...NOT sure why Congress make these available for our troops on the front lines?

...Oh....sorry...congress man need them more? ...black, whites, and blues colors with ties....suits......our soldiers on the front lines do not wear suits? off course $$$$ is the reason for NOT!

Imagine if you got the money? ....all your clothes can be desiger made and bullet proof.....to fit you! NOT sure of name of the company!

Aloha, ( still using coconuts for armor) ....

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chain_mail.jpg

Just a thought...

At 12 pounds, that's a lot of weight to carry around, particularily as most of us are not attacked by knife weilding maniacs on a daily basis. Of course, the one day you leave it at home, is the one day you need it.