Certification in Multiple Organziations

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats how it should be. If a person walks in with a BB from somewhere else you say ok no problem you just have to learn the curriculum. I guess thats why I never took a BJJ class. Cause they want you to start as a white belt and I always say no.
LOL!
You get to decide what's important to you. If you're more concerned about being allowed to wear a particular color of belt than the opportunity to learn something new, then I guess that must be your top priority.

I have black belts in 3 different arts. If I was to attend a class in an art I wasn't ranked in (like TKD), I wouldn't consider wearing anything but a white belt - or whatever the equivalent rank is for that art. (Even though I do have some skills which would likely be transferable to the new art.)

A black belt (or any other rank) isn't a badge of your worth as a martial artist or a person. It's just an indicator of having met certain specific requirements within a particular art according to the standards of a certain instructor/organization. It has no meaning outside that context. A BJJ black belt doesn't mean the same thing as a TKD black belt doesn't mean the same thing as a Modern Arnis black belt. Wearing a rank emblem outside of the relevant context is pointless and likely to lead to confusion.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You get to decide what's important to you. If you're more concerned about being allowed to wear a particular color of belt than the opportunity to learn something new, then I guess that must be your top priority.

I have black belts in 3 different arts. If I was to attend a class in an art I wasn't ranked in (like TKD), I wouldn't consider wearing anything but a white belt - or whatever the equivalent rank is for that art. (Even though I do have some skills which would likely be transferable to the new art.)

A black belt (or any other rank) isn't a badge of your worth as a martial artist or a person. It's just an indicator of having met certain specific requirements within a particular art according to the standards of a certain instructor/organization. It has no meaning outside that context. A BJJ black belt doesn't mean the same thing as a TKD black belt doesn't mean the same thing as a Modern Arnis black belt. Wearing a rank emblem outside of the relevant context is pointless and likely to lead to confusion.

Thats fine. I can see what you're saying. I just disagree.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have had a total of 5 black belts from other schools/programs to come train at our school. We done a couple different things for them, but none of them stayed very long.

Latest Discussions