How can I manage my balance for my TKD kicks?

YinDragonYang

White Belt
Reaction score
ok so one of my favorite TKD kicks are the side, roundhouse, hook, axe, and reverse side kick most of the time when i perform these kicks i seem to loose my balance and it's like I'm about to fall down to the ground i was wanting to know if there is some sort of training i should do to manage that balance for all my kicks.

Hopefully I get a response and thank you.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you fairly new to TKD? If so, I would not worry about it too much. The combination of training your forms and simply practicing your kicks a lot will make things better in time.

Another thing that might help is to do the kicks in slow motion. That will strengthen the appropriate muscles and train your balance. In the beginning you might want to hold on to something.

Finally, a lot of stability comes from your core. If you look around you can find gazillions of core strengthening exercise.

Hope this helps somewhat.

OP
YinDragonYang

YinDragonYang

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you fairly new to TKD? If so, I would not worry about it too much. The combination of training your forms and simply practicing your kicks a lot will make things better in time.

Another thing that might help is to do the kicks in slow motion. That will strengthen the appropriate muscles and train your balance. In the beginning you might want to hold on to something.

Finally, a lot of stability comes from your core. If you look around you can find gazillions of core strengthening exercise.

It's actually been a year for me since I've done TKD so I'm not new anymore I've gotten the hang of it but I went from white belt to camo and I'm still having trouble controlling my balance when it comes to Roundhouse, sidekick, or the hook kick.

OP
YinDragonYang

YinDragonYang

White Belt
Reaction score

Also thanks ( :

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...when i perform these kicks i seem to loose my balance...

Also, make sure your base foot is rotated the proper amount for each type of kick. People tend to focus on the technique of the kicking leg, sometimes forgetting that the technique of the supporting leg is equally important.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually been a year for me since I've done TKD so I'm not new anymore I've gotten the hang of it but I went from white belt to camo and I'm still having trouble controlling my balance when it comes to Roundhouse, sidekick, or the hook kick.

A - A year is still pretty new, to my way of thinking.
B - I think you might guess that a "camo" belt is not part of the traditional ranking system, so very few (if any) of us are going to have any idea what that means.
There are typically 10 geup (colored belt) ranks in TKD. You start at 10th geup, and count down to 1st, then start with 1st Dan (black belt) and count up.
For example, our Moo Duk Kwan school follows the common white/yellow/green/blue/red progression, with a stripe added to denote progress between colors. So:
White (10th geup)
Yellow (9th geup)
Yellow w/ green stripe (8th geup)
Green (7th geup)
etc.
Where does "camo" fit in a progression such as this?

Loss of balance is generally a result of multiple factors, including
1 - Trying to kick higher than you're really capable of, resulting in excessive leaning.
2 - Incorrect rotation/positioning of the supporting leg.
3 - Incorrect hand/arm position during the kick.

You can certainly try doing balance drills. For example, chamber your leg for a kick (say, a front kick), then SLOWLY extend it, as high as you can. Now hold it there, being sure you're at full extension, for at least 10 seconds. Now, without touching the floor, pull it back to the chambered position, shift your stance to change to the chamber for a roundhouse kick, extend, and hold. Now pull it back, shift, and do the same thing with a sidekick.
This needs to be with the foot as high off the floor as you can hold it, while maintaining balance. That's not going to be very high, to start with.
Now go practice your kicks, but do them slowly. Focusing on foot position, body position, arm position, and minimal lean.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Dirty Dog, post: 1763441, member: 20725"...a "camo" belt is not part of the traditional ranking system...[/QUOTE]

As an aside, in ATA/Songahm style, the camo belt is 6th geup. This is what their poomsae looks like at 6th geup.

OP
YinDragonYang

YinDragonYang

White Belt
Reaction score
A - A year is still pretty new, to my way of thinking.
B - I think you might guess that a "camo" belt is not part of the traditional ranking system, so very few (if any) of us are going to have any idea what that means.
There are typically 10 geup (colored belt) ranks in TKD. You start at 10th geup, and count down to 1st, then start with 1st Dan (black belt) and count up.
For example, our Moo Duk Kwan school follows the common white/yellow/green/blue/red progression, with a stripe added to denote progress between colors. So:
White (10th geup)
Yellow (9th geup)
Yellow w/ green stripe (8th geup)
Green (7th geup)
etc.
Where does "camo" fit in a progression such as this?

Loss of balance is generally a result of multiple factors, including
1 - Trying to kick higher than you're really capable of, resulting in excessive leaning.
2 - Incorrect rotation/positioning of the supporting leg.
3 - Incorrect hand/arm position during the kick.

You can certainly try doing balance drills. For example, chamber your leg for a kick (say, a front kick), then SLOWLY extend it, as high as you can. Now hold it there, being sure you're at full extension, for at least 10 seconds. Now, without touching the floor, pull it back to the chambered position, shift your stance to change to the chamber for a roundhouse kick, extend, and hold. Now pull it back, shift, and do the same thing with a sidekick.
This needs to be with the foot as high off the floor as you can hold it, while maintaining balance. That's not going to be very high, to start with.
Now go practice your kicks, but do them slowly. Focusing on foot position, body position, arm position, and minimal lean.

Probably because I'm part of the ATA aka American Taekwondo Association I know that Taekwondo schools are different than ATA and their belt rankings are also different such as mine here are the ranks American Taekwondo Association | Martial Arts, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Tae-Kwon-Do

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep your supporting knee bent to keep the center of mass above the center of your supporting foot, pivot on the ball of your foot (not your heel) and keep your supporting foot flat on the floor (do not lift your heel) as much as you can. This will give you a good start to improving your balance.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll add two things - hand position and head position.

Let's say we're working on a right side kick. Most people try to get height by leaning their head away from the kick. Try to keep your head as upright as possible so that you can keep your focus on your target. Also, people tend to drop the back arm because they are trying to generate power (in our example, the left arm). Keep that arm tight in a guard position and it won't act like a boat anchor and pull you off balance.

Latest Discussions