Census Worker Found Hanged in Kentucky

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8274065.stm

US census worker hanging probed
US police are investigating the death of a man who was found hanged from a tree in rural Kentucky with the word "Fed" scrawled on his chest.

I am shocked at this. The divide and distrust between the people and the government is growing wider day by day. Scary times.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8274065.stm

I am shocked at this. The divide and distrust between the people and the government is growing wider day by day. Scary times.

Actually, that particular part of the country has a history of many decades of distrust of the government-it's Appalachia, after all....

I had to run off a census worker not to long ago myself-they have no business collecting GPS data on my front door, and I told him so. Of course, the dog wasn't going to let him anywhere near the door, which is how we wound up having the conversation in the first place:

Mister, mister-could you bring your dog inside?
No.He's where he belongs, and you are not. :lfao:

Took GPS at the foot of my drive....:lol:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, that particular part of the country has a history of many decades of distrust of the government-it's Appalachia, after all....

I had to run off a census worker not to long ago myself-they have no business collecting GPS data on my front door, and I told him so. Of course, the dog wasn't going to let him anywhere near the door, which is how we wound up having the conversation in the first place:

Mister, mister-could you bring your dog inside?
No.He's where he belongs, and you are not. :lfao:

Took GPS at the foot of my drive....:lol:
THAT is more scary than finding a dead census worker... the fact that he was stubborn to collect the data that the end of your drive way had to do rather the front door. Good for your dog and good for you to chase him off your front door.
some data I don't mind letting the government have and all that... but precise locations? Hmm when are the microchips being inserted?? How many of our cars have been secretly tagged?
Knowing who someone is and a few stats is alright to get a demographic of a people in a given area but exactly where they live?? Uhh, no comrade I'm not up for that.

As for the Census worker... tragic indeed. Just a guy doing a temporary job. More of a paid volunteer than anything else.

Wonder if any fava beans were found nearby? :rolleyes:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
When has there not been a distrust of the government? This country was founded on it. Our constitution, which enumerates the things that the government cannot do, is based largely on distrust for the government.

Like Elder said, that area is not known for their love of government employees.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup.

And whose fault is that? Not being sarcastic, but really...who is to blame or is it shared?

Boy, that's an easy question. Whoever did this needs to go to jail for life. 100% responsibility on the closed minded ignorant, hateful individual who did this.

Census' have been happening for thousands of years all over the world and in almost all cultures. At least 74 countries currently take census.

Seriously - are people REALLY this paranoid?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup.

And whose fault is that? Not being sarcastic, but really...who is to blame or is it shared?

Ultimately, the person or persons who did this are to blame.

As to the culture that spawned this kind of response, I would suggest that any government that has engendered that kind of hatred and fear needs to take a good look at itself. And I am not being partisan in this - I believe it has been a long way from the Reagan years to where we are now. Each successive president and administration has added bricks to the wall between government and citizen, taken away more and more civil liberties in the name of 'protecting us', and given us more cause to hate and fear them.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

That explains it... my family has roots there. My grandfather was a Bluegrass musician actually... no wonder I hate the government! LOL

Boy, that's an easy question. Whoever did this needs to go to jail for life. 100% responsibility on the closed minded ignorant, hateful individual who did this.

Census' have been happening for thousands of years all over the world and in almost all cultures. At least 74 countries currently take census.

Seriously - are people REALLY this paranoid?

No. They are not. They just don't like the government poking their noses where it doesn't belong.

Yeah, yeah...I'm familiar with all the arguments... they need the data for schools and taxes and blah and more blah... Any excuse to exerpt more control over our lives. The very idea conflicts with the American spirit of independance.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We shouldn't rush to conclusions, regarding who would have done it, until the facts are out.

There are any number of possibilities. For example, he could have unwittingly stumbled upon a meth lab, and encountered some rather... hostile... individuals.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah...I'm familiar with all the arguments... they need the data for schools and taxes and blah and more blah... Any excuse to exerpt more control over our lives. The very idea conflicts with the American spirit of independance.

Technically, the census is well-described in the Constitution itself, specifically. So it is very clear, and has been since the beginning of our nation, that the census is legal and part and parcel of our American independence.

Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

Unlike typical federal intrusion through 'creative' interpretation of such clauses as the Interstate Commerce Clause, the census is a basic part of the fundamental document that created our nation.

I used to see it as an unwarranted intrusion into my privacy too, and then someone pointed the above out to me. I still see it as an intrusion into my privacy, but not unwarranted. The founders intended it, and there you go.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technically, the census is well-described in the Constitution itself, specifically. So it is very clear, and has been since the beginning of our nation, that the census is legal and part and parcel of our American independence.

Unlike typical federal intrusion through 'creative' interpretation of such clauses as the Interstate Commerce Clause, the census is a basic part of the fundamental document that created our nation.

I used to see it as an unwarranted intrusion into my privacy too, and then someone pointed the above out to me. I still see it as an intrusion into my privacy, but not unwarranted. The founders intended it, and there you go.

I don't think they intended it to be as intrusive as it is.

It's one thing to monitor the population it's quite another to dig into my personal life.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think they intended it to be as intrusive as it is.

It's one thing to monitor the population it's quite another to dig into my personal life.

The census has changed over the years:

http://www.censusfinder.com/census-questions.htm
http://www.censusfinder.com/1790-census.htm

Questions Asked on the 1790 Census

* Name of the head of each household.
* How many free white males age 16 and older.
* How many free white males under age 16.
* How many free white females.
* How many of all other free persons.
* How many slaves.

But by 1930, it had become quite familiar-looking:

Questions Asked on the 1930 Census

* Name of street, road, avenue etc.
* House numbers for city dwellers.
* Number of dwelling in order of visitation.
* Number of family in order of visitation.
* Name of each person.
* Relationship of each person to the head of household.
* Is home owned or rented.
* Value of home if owned or monthly rental amount.
* Does the family own a radio set.
* Does the family live on a farm.
* Sex of person.
* Color or race of person.
* Age of person at last birthday.
* Is this person single, married, widowed or divorced.
* Age when this person first married.
* Did this person attend school since Sept. 1, 1929.
* Is this person able to read and write.
* Place of birth of this person.
* Place of birth of the father of this person.
* Place of birth of the mother of this person.
* If person is foreign born, what is the native language.
* What year did this person immigrate to the US.
* Naturalization.
* Is this person able to speak English.
* Occupation, trade of profession of person.
* Industry, or business name.
* Class of worker.
* Was person at work yesterday or the last regular working day.
* If not, list the line number of the Unemployment Schedule.
* Is this person a veteran of the U.S. Military or Naval forces.
* What war or expedition.
* Number on farm schedule.

Since that time, the census questions have gone through changes, and there is now a short form and long form, with a subset of households chosen to fill out the long form (which obviously asks more questions).

More info here:

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/

Latest Discussions