Cardio or Muscle Training ?

WillSandler66

White Belt
Reaction score
Should cardio or muscle be my top priority? Mix of both? I want to reduce pain, have higher stamina while keeping power. I am new to this so any help is appreciated.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi

What art are you studying might give folks a better idea for advice

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's causing you pain? Neither cardio nor strength training will make it hurt less to get punched in the face, but if you're having, for example, lower back pain then focusing on strengthening your core would probably help you a lot, while if you're getting a "stitch" in your side when training then you might want to focus more on cardio.

Personally, I think both are important. If you want to increase your sparring stamina, I'd recommend including not just distance cardio (running, biking, etc), but also some HIIT activities. Tabatas and things like that. When you're running, you get into a groove and do the same thing at a pace you can manage for a long time. But sparring isn't like that, it's always changing and you need to generate bursts of speed.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Should cardio or muscle be my top priority? Mix of both? I want to reduce pain, have higher stamina while keeping power. I am new to this so any help is appreciated.
Ok I see you train MMA.
What is the purpose for training?
To be in overall good physical shape, to fight a few times or to become a high level amateur or even a high level pro, self defense, or something else?
Decent cardio and overall strength is good for most all people but if you are seeking high level competition then overall strength and a high level of fight cardio is very important. If seeking self defense then average strength and cardio can get you by with good skills until the confrontation goes beyond 30 seconds then you are going to wish you had better cardio real quick.
As to working cardio there is aerobic and anaerobic; both are important in the fight game. Aerobic will give you longevity and help in recovery your breath. Anaerobic is short high intensity burst lasting 10 - 30 seconds. Fighting and be both.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Will. :)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cardio is very important for fighting, especially if you are in a format with lots of rounds in it. Fighters who neglect their cardio in training are often defeated if they can't end the fight quickly. It's partly why Mcgregor lost his fight to Mayweather because he simply run out of steam halfway through the match.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am still fairly new to the whole MMA thing, but I would say both are important. And welcome to MartialTalk. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How good is your cardio, and how strong are you? What weight class are you in, and do you plan on competing? How do you generally fight?

Overall the answer is a mix, but if you are planning to compete, then it may help to fine tune what you need to do. We can give general advice based on your answers, but it should be your trainer/coach who helps you with that the most.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can add "belt cracking" into your daily MA drills, it can enhance both of your cardio and strength.

I have compared both the

1. solo drills training, and
2. solo drills training + belt cracking.

IMO, 2 > 1.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I see you train MMA.
To be in overall good physical shape, to fight a few times or to become a high level amateur or even a high level pro, self defense, or something else?
Decent cardio and overall strength is good for most all people but if you are seeking high level competition then overall strength and a high level of fight cardio is very important. If seeking self defense then average strength and cardio can get you by with good skills until the confrontation goes beyond 30 seconds then you are going to wish you had better cardio real quick.
As to working cardio there is aerobic and anaerobic; both are important in the fight game. Aerobic will give you longevity and help in recovery your breath. Anaerobic is short high intensity burst lasting 10 - 30 seconds. Fighting and be both.
Yeah you'd hope self defence situations don't last more than 30 seconds but you should always train for the theory that they could be longer. Plan for the worst hope for the best

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah you'd hope self defence situations don't last more than 30 seconds but you should always train for the theory that they could be longer. Plan for the worst hope for the best

The thing about self-defence situations is that you may need to run a lot more than in a fighting competition. The last thing you want is to be running away from a group of thugs and run out of steam after 50 meters.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok I see you train MMA.
That's Not wrong just not actually acurate, it is wrong to split anaerobic aerobic as definitively as that, they are part of the same energy production system,And they over lap some what.
you don't need you aerobic capacity till you have exhausted your an Anaerobiic capacity,you can train your anaerobic capacity to last faR longer than 30 seconds, ideally 5 mins of good anaerobic capacity would deal with most self defence situations, before you get a seriously high heart rate and start needing Serious amounts of oxygen

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To answer your question there not really exclusive, or you can do both at once, by cadio, most people mean running or perhaps bike riding, runIng longish distances is only good for learning to run longish distances.

Get a kettle bell and swing it about for 10 Mins rs and you are developing both muscle and cardio, do hill spRints and you are developing both muscle and cardio, etc

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Definitely cardio. You need your stamina to be able to breathe and fight.

Muscle training can be done along with cardio. You just need to think it through and apply a consistent regimen.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cardio is more Important than strength though. I mean look at any fight event the ones who get the most tired will lose because their technique will suffer their defence will suffer and they won't be able to use all those muscles

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cardio is more Important than strength though. I mean look at any fight event the ones who get the most tired will lose because their technique will suffer their defence will suffer and they won't be able to use all those muscles
As above, that's a miss understanding, that start blowing, when their anaerobic capacity has gone and their aerobic capacity can't keep up, you will never get you aerobic capacity to work muscles hard, never, what you need to do is increase the an Anaerobic capacity, so your muscles last longer and recover quicker,

Or to put it another way, running will do nothing to help you Punch harder for longer, Arm strengthen ing excersises dothat

Latest Discussions