Capoeira

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
The weapons stuff I've seen is like this. Footwork is Capoeira, Weapons work is basic arnis (I say that because I only know basic arnis estrella)

well, maculele is done as a playful, energetic, rhythmic dance within a circle, where two players use either sticks, or machetes that they smack together, all done according to the drum beat that sets the pace of the dance. Players use unusual improvised and acrobatic moves within the dance that could be mistaken for capoeira.

It is not played with aggression, however. it is clearly a playful dance. The sticks or machetes are not used in attacks on each other, but rather are timed so that the players cooperatively strike each other's weapon on a particular drum beat.

Since it is done in a circle like capoeira, and has a similar element of music and playfulness, it is understandable that someone might mistake it for a part of capoeira.

Personally, I believe the dance developed from African stick and machete fighting techniques. The slaves who were brought to Brazil brought many aspects of their culture that got mixed into new things like capoeira and maculele. I believe this probably evolved as a way to practice some striking techniques with the weapons, but keep the intent of the practice hidden from the slave owners. In this way, it is very similar to capoeira. The fight is hidden as a game and a dance.

While maculele doesn't practice specific attacks against people, it could still act as a way to practice basic striking techniques. And of course, maculele from 300 years ago was probably very different from maculele done today...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Saw this book at Borders today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1556436017
Capoeira : The Jogo de Angola from Luanda to Cyberspace

It's academic (no pictures to speak of). Found this on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158394141X
Capoeira Conditioning : How to Build Strength, Agility, and Cardiovascular Fitness Using Capoeira Movements

Fifteen years ago there were maybe two or so books in English about capoeira. I see the library is growing, along with the art's popularity.

The growth brings both good and bad. When I started capoeira in 1990, most people, including most martial artists, hadn't even heard of it. I kind of liked that low profile. I liked doing something that nobody else even knew about.

But it has grown tremendously, both for good and for bad.
I hate the Mazda commercial "zoom zoom zoom". That was taken from a capoeira song. The line from the song is actually "zoom zoom zoom, capoeira mata um" translating as "capoeira can kill".

Anyway, progress marches on, hopefully the good outweighs the bad. It will be interesting to see how capoeira grows in the next decade.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quick Sand said:
I went to the roda at the club on Satuday and it was AMAZING !!!! It's definitely Capoeira Regional. It went on for over an hour and I jaw was on the floor for most of it. I can't wait until I move there in a month and can start to learn myself.

How about an update?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that everyone might groan when I mention the name of "Jean Claude Van Damm," but in one of his movies, "The Quest," there is a fellow using Capoeira. Pretty flashy fighting, and the fight against the Chinese guy in the ring was an entertaining display.

I think there was also one such fighter in "Bloodsport" as well, the guy who gets his leg broken by Chong Li.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This has turned into a serious thread! Maybe a mod. can remove the laughing icon that goes with it?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apss by this scholl all the time. They've been in buisness for years but stepped inside although I considered sending my daughter (who is a dancer) there when she was younger to help spark a greater interest in the arts.
http://www.capoeirasj.com/

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
akja said:
I apss by this scholl all the time. They've been in buisness for years but stepped inside although I considered sending my daughter (who is a dancer) there when she was younger to help spark a greater interest in the arts.
http://www.capoeirasj.com/

Yes, Wagner has been around for a good deal of time. I have seen him and his students play. Their style is somewhat different from ours, but I think they are good.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was a brief capoeira demo. during the musical guest segment at the end of Thursday's Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
There was a brief capoeira demo. during the musical guest segment at the end of Thursday's Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Sorry I missed it. Any idea who they were?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, they were basically background dancers for will.i.am (of the Black Eyed Peas) and Sergio Mendes (of Brazil). They came out in the middle of the song for a "capoeira solo" (if you will), then left.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
But it has grown tremendously, both for good and for bad.
I hate the Mazda commercial "zoom zoom zoom". That was taken from a capoeira song. The line from the song is actually "zoom zoom zoom, capoeira mata um" translating as "capoeira can kill".

Well, i'm glad i'm not the only one.
icon9.gif
I can remember playing to that in the Roda - memories i didn't want to get messed up with some stupid car ad!

I can't believe that no-one has mentioned that arcade and PS game Tekken, the one that had the Capoiera character in it? That was my first visual intro to the art. I think there is another game as well that is totally Capoeira, called "Capoeira Fighter".
Also, i think Tom Cruise did some Capoeira training for the movie Mission Impossible 2.

I miss Capoiera...
icon9.gif
but my knees just won't take it anymore.

MingTheMerciless

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am think of crosstraining capoeira with Boxing , Jkd/Kali and BJJ because I want to buffer up my kicking technique . http://www.tkmt.ca/class.html and this is the place where I practice my martial art weekly

A bit of capoeira is performed in the otherwise highly forgettable Date Movie, by Fred Willard's stunt double.

And "meet the focker" , well it the same anyway and also dun forget "Tom Yum Goon" by Tony Jaa

Axe_KO

White Belt
Reaction score
Capoeira i dont like it for its to fancy its more like a show than a martal art for how could u win a fight if all your doing is jumping and fliping anywaz thats my though

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
capoeira's matches are like slow motion fights. but it has good kicking techniques. recommended for those who want to mix dancing with martial arts

Chitmunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
unfortunately I cannot remember off the top of my head what primary style master Snipes uses, but it is definitely not Capoeira, though it is possible he has done some cross training in it. I do know that his primary art is a Japanese art. Many arts use spinning manuvers. So just because you saw some spin kicks does not mean that he is using Capoeira. (okay totally didn't mean to sound that agressive, sorry about that) I find that Capo. has a very interesting history being that it was created to facilitate practice in the fighting arts without the captors of the brazilian people knowing... that's why it is taught as a dance. I am so going to train in it myself if I ever find a reputable school and the time to devote to it.

Latest Discussions