Can You Stand Still?

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the newest species of troll I have seen. Amazing.
We have no time for elitist here.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If theres Four of them Your a Genius,

To Clear things up, I no longer belong to that School, I Trained there, 2nd Define Stilness? MAINTAINING a Straigth Back and motionless,
Not one millimeter of movement,

So Many Questions eh, Ive Mastered SNT and was seeing if anyone else here has, I should have Just Asked if anyone can connect the dots,
Joints are involved,, it forms a Shape /Structure

No Guessing Game, If you guys were Ranked On how many posts your made You would be Masters, But we all know, there is no Grading system in WC, just added ones as Westerners Like to say, I got a Black belt, woopte do!

There are no grading systems in Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and there is a standing practice of one sort or another in just about every Traditional Chinese Martial Arts

Now then let me give you a hint since you appear to not know the answer, as I suspected...... "MAINTAINING a Straigth Back and motionless, Not one millimeter of movement"... is not stillness. Standing still is not stillness and if you believe it is you have much to learn my young padawan.

One more comment, as soon as you "Claim" to be a master...all learning stops....you stagnate...... you are done....

so endeth the lesson

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To increase the signal-to-noise ratio on this thread, I've clicked the "ignore" button for one of the participants.

That said, may I offer my interpretations of some terms?

"Stillness in motion": a calm mind within a moving body. This leads to smooth motion as well as a flexible and quick response.

"Motion in stillness": a kind of active standing, where the practitioner is not moving visibly, but is adjusting the body in tiny increments to achieve optimum balance between self-support and relaxation. The method and goal depends on the discipline. Sometimes visualization is involved.

I wouldn't say that stillness is an end in itself; it is more like a gateway.

Of course, that's my opinion. :)

Last edited:
OP
Siunimtao

Siunimtao

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To increase the signal-to-noise ratio on this thread, I've clicked the "ignore" button for one of the participants.

That said, may I offer my interpretations of some terms?

"Stillness in motion": a calm mind within a moving body. This leads to smooth motion as well as a flexible and quick response.

"Motion in stillness": a kind of active standing, where the practitioner is not moving visibly, but is adjusting the body in tiny increments to achieve optimum balance between self-support and relaxation. The method and goal depends on the discipline. Sometimes visualization is involved.

I wouldn't say that stillness is an end in itself; it is more like a gateway.

Of course, that's my opinion. :)

That is a very Good description, couldnt agree more,

when i Say Ive Mastered SNT, I Mean I Know Extactlly What im doing, Wing Chun Is My Life, i live by it,
Its on every day as it becomes a way of life, concious mind,:uhyeah:,

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wasnt talking about that subject, nevermind pal,

Again....how interesting... the thread (your thread) is about stillness.... mograph was talking about stillness and yet you say you are responding to something other than stillness... so what exactly are you agreeing with?

and just so you know....The way of stillness anger is not

OP
Siunimtao

Siunimtao

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anger??? Never had any, I was talking about MAINTAINING The Stance, Lop Nim etc, Yes STILLNESS , Theres alot of moving around to get in this position but once you do, Its Awesome, Only the dedicated will reach thi far,
Its the secret to obtaining Power beyond belief,

OP
Siunimtao

Siunimtao

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oaktree , in Wing Chun it is more of a mental thing.
Obviously we can't physically have the spine straight , because our spines are curved .

We are trying to have our vertebrae stacked on top of each other right up to the head , so that the postural muscles can be switched off and relax as much as possible.
In effect we want the skeletal system to be supporting the weight of the body , not postural muscles.
It is primarily a mental visualisation that we use , but you are right , the muscles surrounding the spine have to be neutral and relaxed.

Lets just cut through all the crap , these guys do a better job than me of explaining the stance as taught by Tsui Seung Tin,

Sorry but you are wrong, Stance training actully DOES straighten the back, It removes the curve from our lower back,

Its a mental path to achieveing it but Its no imaginery thing,

SNT

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oaktree , in Wing Chun it is more of a mental thing.
Obviously we can't physically have the spine straight , because our spines are curved .

We are trying to have our vertebrae stacked on top of each other right up to the head , so that the postural muscles can be switched off and relax as much as possible.
In effect we want the skeletal system to be supporting the weight of the body , not postural muscles.
It is primarily a mental visualisation that we use , but you are right , the muscles surrounding the spine have to be neutral and relaxed.

Lets just cut through all the crap , these guys do a better job than me of explaining the stance as taught by Tsui Seung Tin,

Sorry but you are wrong, Stance training actully DOES straighten the back, It removes the curve from our lower back,

Its a mental path to achieveing it but Its no imaginery thing,

SNT

why?

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't know if this is completely relevant but-I've just started a blog and one of the first essays i wrote was on my lineages stance called "stances-the root of your power". It was written with my students in mind but some of you might find it interesting.
I was going to post it separately but as we're on the subject of stances....
if anyone is interested here's the link-
http://chogawingchunthailand.wordpress.com/recent-posts/
cheers.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know if this is completely relevant but-I've just started a blog and one of the first essays i wrote was on my lineages stance called "stances-the root of your power". It was written with my students in mind but some of you might find it interesting.
cheers.

Nice read, good stuff mate.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Anger??? Never had any, I was talking about MAINTAINING The Stance, Lop Nim etc, Yes STILLNESS , Theres alot of moving around to get in this position but once you do, Its Awesome, Only the dedicated will reach thi far,
Its the secret to obtaining Power beyond belief,

There is something you said in the above post that tells me, ir anyone who has done serious stance training, you have no idea what you are talking about or you are trying to impress people here on MT that you are some great master when in fact you are not. Either way I am done playing... have fun storming the castle

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
cheers.

Good stuff, thanks for the link

And I find
“Wing Chun is simple, but definitely not easy”
incredibly intriguing and why I always seem to find myself drawn back to Wing Chun

Latest Discussions