Other pole training

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm aware of the pole form and a few other exercises/drills.
Borrowing 1 of my clubs long pole to strengthen my wrists, no puns please. :)
Can you recommend any extras?

OP
Domino

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the pole form varies throughout and hoped for more feedback.
Training is going well and I am seeing a vast improvement.... although not many barges where I'm from.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You probably know the one where you raise and lower the tip of the pole in a vertical line.
What about the one where you keep the pole perfectly level as you raise and lower the pole in a vertical line.
You could practice stepping in a low horse stance , while thrusting the pole out and back with each step.

You should be able to generate striking power from any point along the length of the pole , so the way I work on that is to strike a heavy bag with the middle bit of the pole.
Just make sure you are pivoting and using your body mass not just your arms , practice both sides of the bag to simulate an opponent trying to bridge the gap on the inside and the outside.
So one side will be a pushing movement and the other side will be a hooking movement.

There you go , don't tell me I never give you anything.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because the long pole form is so short you have to go through it so many times to feel like you're getting any kind of a workout.
One thing I do to help this along is repeating a sequence within the form, sometimes 20-30 times before moving on to the next sequence.

If you have access to a swimming pool, this one's pretty cool:
The long aluminum pole that we use for vaccuming the pool makes for a great long pole under water. Do the movements fast, and the water provides great resistance.

OP
Domino

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Appreciate your time gentlemen, I do some of those already but exactly what I was looking for, thank you.