Can you learn from video?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a chance of dropping it when you command, I'm not yours to command......

Look I said you probably didn't mean it that way, it probably didn't sound that way in your head when you wrote it, but wrote it you did and no amount of back peddling on later posts will change what you wrote. Just accept you wrote something you later thought 'oh o' that didn't come across right, stop blaming other people, stop insulting them and just admit what you wrote was ambiguous at best, what we said it was at worst. :rolleyes:

Now hold on. Again, read the post. I quoted it above. I clearly said the person learning from video would need to seek hands on instruction at some point. I wrote that plain as day. I am not "back peddling", I'm not "blaming others", and I have been repeatedly insulted by saying I stated something that I didn't. You guys keep beating a dead horse, so yeah...I can say "drop it" if I damn well please.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regardless of what you meant, reality is how the message was received. Several of us received a message that you claim you never sent. Well, we did receive it, like it or not.

----I can't help it if you have a reading comprehension problem. And I have stated multiple times now that that was not what I meant. So why do you guys continue to want to argue the point? Why do you want to keep persisting in saying that I stated something that I clearly did not? I can't help the way you "perceived it." So just accept that you misunderstood what I was writing and go on.

However, in your example here, you still have got it backwards. You claim that instruction FOLLOWING video instruction is a good way to go about it. I completely disagree; you've got the horse before the cart here. That initial video instruction has already got the student working on bad habits and poor comprehension, and now a good teacher has to undo that damage.

---Well, I completely disagree with you. It can work both ways. Maybe not optimal, but it can work. I know because I've done it. So just agree to disagree and go on.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Regardless of what you meant, reality is how the message was received. Several of us received a message that you claim you never sent. Well, we did receive it, like it or not.

----I can't help it if you have a reading comprehension problem. And I have stated multiple times now that that was not what I meant. So why do you guys continue to want to argue the point? Why do you want to keep persisting in saying that I stated something that I clearly did not? I can't help the way you "perceived it." So just accept that you misunderstood what I was writing and go on.

However, in your example here, you still have got it backwards. You claim that instruction FOLLOWING video instruction is a good way to go about it. I completely disagree; you've got the horse before the cart here. That initial video instruction has already got the student working on bad habits and poor comprehension, and now a good teacher has to undo that damage.

---Well, I completely disagree with you. It can work both ways. Maybe not optimal, but it can work. I know because I've done it. So just agree to disagree and go on.
It seems you've painted yourself into a corner sir. :woot:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now hold on. Again, read the post. I quoted it above. I clearly said the person learning from video would need to seek hands on instruction at some point. I wrote that plain as day. I am not "back peddling", I'm not "blaming others", and I have been repeatedly insulted by saying I stated something that I didn't. You guys keep beating a dead horse, so yeah...I can say "drop it" if I damn well please.

You made a statement in your first post that you then amended in subsequent posts doesn't take away from the meaning of that first post. that first post sets the scene as it were for the thread that follows.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You made a statement in your first post that you then amended in subsequent posts doesn't take away from the meaning of that first post. that first post sets the scene as it were for the thread that follows.
Well to be fair, I'm willing to give credit for amending his position and acknowledging that an instructor is necessary and video alone won't cut it.

But as I've pointed out at least a couple times, he's still got some things backwards.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well to be fair, I'm willing to give credit for amending his position and acknowledging that an instructor is necessary and video alone won't cut it.

But as I've pointed out at least a couple times, he's still got some things backwards.

Yep and I did say what he wrote probably didn't come out as he meant it, but learning the stuff from videos then finding an instructor is **** about face as they say in Yorkshire. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"**** about face"? Thanks to the damn censor, I don't have a clue how to complete that phrase. I've tried substituting all the obscene four letter words I know (and there are quie a few of them) and it still doesn't make sense to this Yank. And I can't afford the air-fare to Yorkshire. :(

Hey, can I learn it from a video? :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"**** about face"? Thanks to the damn censor, I don't have a clue how to complete that phrase. I've tried substituting all the obscene four letter words I know (and there are quie a few of them) and it still doesn't make sense to this Yank. And I can't afford the air-fare to Yorkshire. :(
Hey, can I learn it from a video? :D

The censor here has a very odd idea of what is obscene, it's a completely non rude word I wonder if it censors Arsenal? For goodness sake, it makes a mockery of the English language when English non obscene words are censored.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=****

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The censor here has a very odd idea of what is obscene, it's a completely non rude word I wonder if it censors Arsenal? For goodness sake, it makes a mockery of the English language when English non obscene words are censored.
Online Etymology Dictionary

Arsenal, arsenic, sparse... OK, I get it. Never would have thought of that. Yes, it's in my vocabulary, but not on my "don't use in front of mom" list! :D

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back to topic a bit, I had the opportunity to see some AR done with Hololens produced by a company called DoubleMe at a startup summit not long ago. It basically captures you in full 3d doing mostly anything. One of their stock examples was teaching ballet, you could view a professional ballet dancer as though they were right next to you, as well as move them about the room, resize and change angle to see exactly how they performed the move.

Here's one of their teasers:

While it's still no substitute for live instruction, something like that I could see being much more beneficial to us martial arts guys than a flat video.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, that is cool. It would definitely aid in many kinds of physical instruction.

Of course the problem with WC remains that so much of what is important is about sensing and handling physical energy rather than appearance as in dance, or simple functionality as with many other skills. Still, that was fascinating. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, that is cool. It would definitely aid in many kinds of physical instruction.

Of course the problem with WC remains that so much of what is important is about sensing and handling physical energy rather than appearance as in dance, or simple functionality as with many other skills. Still, that was fascinating. :)
And it cannot give feedback, which is critical.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And it cannot give feedback, which is critical.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is specially important in learning good wing chun. Repeated hands on correction by a master.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is specially important in learning good wing chun. Repeated hands on correction by a master.
Yeah, it's a whole lot more than just follow and imitate the best you can.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to topic a bit, I had the opportunity to see some AR done with Hololens produced by a company called DoubleMe at a startup summit not long ago. It basically captures you in full 3d doing mostly anything. One of their stock examples was teaching ballet, you could view a professional ballet dancer as though they were right next to you, as well as move them about the room, resize and change angle to see exactly how they performed the move.

Here's one of their teasers:

While it's still no substitute for live instruction, something like that I could see being much more beneficial to us martial arts guys than a flat video.

Young girls going en pointe need more than a video, it's actually much more dangerous than martial arts. Girls are stuffing their ballet shoes with cotton wool and going up on their toes, can you imagine teaching yourself from a video how to do that? Try it for yourself.

upload_2016-7-26_22-23-5.png

This is something no one should teach themselves or learn from a video. The Dangers Of Teaching Yourself Pointe Work - The Ballet Blog

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems you've painted yourself into a corner sir. :woot:

How do you figure? I will quote myself again from the OP:

Granted, nothing beats hands on instruction! At some point the person learning from DVD will have to seek out an instructor for some quality training. But his or her feet should already be firmly on the path compared to someone with no previous exposure at all.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep and I did say what he wrote probably didn't come out as he meant it, but learning the stuff from videos then finding an instructor is **** about face as they say in Yorkshire. :)

Please see post immediately above. Please read what I have actually written and then explain how I have made any kind of "about face" or "back pedaled", etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please see post immediately above. Please read what I have actually written and then explain how I have made any kind of "about face" or "back pedaled", etc.

Yes you have said that they can train from a video and at some point will have to find an instructor....... yep, that's back to front. You are saying that people can learn the basics from a video then they have to find an instructor.....that's back to front. The usual, practical and sensible way is to find an instructor, learn the basics and use videos to polish, confirm or just practice what the instructor has taught you. You have made my point beautifully thank you.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but I do not follow your logic. To say that I have made any kind of "about face" or that I have "back pedaled" implies that I have switched my position or opinion. That I have reversed what I have said previously. I have not done that. I have been consistent throughout this thread. And I NEVER said that someone can learn solely from video as I have been accused of multiple times. I have quoted the appropriate line frpm my OP now multiple times to show that. Whether you believe that one can learn first from video and then from an instructor, or that one must start with an instructor and then supplement with video is a matter of opinion and we can agree to disagree. I will just state again, as I have multiple times already, that in the past I have been able to start with video and then follow up with a good instructor and it worked fine....for me. So you can state that it won't work and that I have things backwards all you want. For me personally, I know that to be wrong.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Accused', 'insulted' words indicating you are taking this very personally. No one has accused you, no one has insulted you. You are blaming others for their, in your eyes, lack of reading comprehension but if it were just one person seeing this then that could be true but it's not.
Telling complete beginners to learn from a video and then get an instructor, you would tell people to learn to ride a horse by video before finding an instructor or learn gymnastics including backflips etc? Either of these can result in you breaking your neck if you aren't taught correctly and in person. Have you actually learnt something that is potentially dangerous from scratch with no previous knowledge or training and become a competent and safe practitioner or have you with previous training just learnt a technique from a video?

Latest Discussions