Can you learn from video?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Geez! How is it that so many people can have such reading comprehension problems! Why do you 3 choose to continue to ignore this part, which was plainly stated:

Granted, nothing beats hands on instruction! At some point the person learning from DVD will have to seek out an instructor for some quality training. But his or her feet should already be firmly on the path compared to someone with no previous exposure at all.

Now just drop it.
Regardless of what you meant, reality is how the message was received. Several of us received a message that you claim you never sent. Well, we did receive it, like it or not.

So ok, you are saying you agree that video as the only instruction is not good. So great, we've found a point of agreement.

However, in your example here, you still have got it backwards. You claim that instruction FOLLOWING video instruction is a good way to go about it. I completely disagree; you've got the horse before the cart here. That initial video instruction has already got the student working on bad habits and poor comprehension, and now a good teacher has to undo that damage.

Video as supplement AFTER receiving proper instruction can be useful, but as I've stated already, it depends on WHAT video, and in what manner one goes about it. I would strongly advise against using some video from YouTube, from some random instructor who is not your instructor, or who is not at least in some way affiliated, even if he is from the same system.

Being very selective about what resources one uses is very very important.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah. If I used video, I'd use it to reinforce in-person instruction from the same instructor.

To put it psychologically, the video would be used for the recall of existing information from memory, not the encoding of new information into memory.

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
^ Proper Training
Amazing. She's so ... alive.
Just asking, because I don't know boxing: what would be the benefit of her hitting the leaves?

^ No power, no technique
If he had power, how would it look when he hit the bag? How would the bag move?

Thanks for the clips -- I'm just asking to fill some gaps in my knowledge.

D

Deleted member 34973

To add on to this question of "video instruction"
If a student moved away from a former dojo and wished to continue training with the instructor through video, would that be acceptable?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To add on to this question of "video instruction"
If a student moved away from a former dojo and wished to continue training with the instructor through video, would that be acceptable?
What's wrong with just practicing what you've already learned, with the possibility of future visits back to the dojo?

D

Deleted member 34973

What's wrong with just practicing what you've already learned, with the possibility of future visits back to the dojo?
I would imagine nothing, if the individual wanted to and I would imagine that nothing would be wrong with the video instruction, if both parties agreed and if the training was watched closely.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would imagine nothing, if the individual wanted to and I would imagine that nothing would be wrong with the video instruction, if both parties agreed and if the training was watched closely.
Well, the potential for success at that point would depend a lot on the skill and understanding that the student has already built. I would say those who would have the greatest chance of success in this way are also those who are least in need of it. Meaning: if they are good enough to learn more of the system in this way, then they have already reached a level where they don't need more, and have probably learned most of it anyway.

Those who want to learn a system in this way, who are in need of skill development, are least likely to succeed in this way, because they don't have the necessary background and skills to be successful in this way.

But I digress. Learning a system, learning new material in this way, is simply a bad idea. Meh.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So hey, if you want to throw around hypotheticals, if a third or fourth or fifth Dan continued making periodic videos for his eighth -Dan sensei to review and critique, sure that could be fruitful. And the sensei could include video in response, to help get his points across.

The lower the student is, however, the less and less likely it will be successful.

But this is a vastly different situation from the beginner-level video instruction that made up at least part of the OP claims.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes I was wondering that to. How on earth did people manage before YouTube?. Most I ever saw as a kid was one book in the library. Then the Japanese started working in Europe and it was possible to get real instruction. Sounds like a hard alternative but "travel" is the only way. Those that wont practice because there is no training in their town are really not MA material and sitting on their butt watching videos has to come a close second.

D

Deleted member 34973

Youtube warrriors...yeah I agree with it myself. But, would it be better to travel to a crappy school(which there are tons) and train, or good quality video, say like the Gracies online school or Jerry Poteet or Joe Lewis or any other well known instructors, who have online courses?

Also, what about people such as Bruce, who had an extensive library of books that he was known to derive techniques from.

Now, dont get me wrong. I dont believe anything compares to training, in person, with a good quality instructor.

But, one must consider the variables.

Reactions: KPM

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Youtube warrriors...yeah I agree with it myself. But, would it be better to travel to a crappy school(which there are tons) and train, or good quality video, say like the Gracies online school or Jerry Poteet or Joe Lewis or any other well known instructors, who have online courses?

Also, what about people such as Bruce, who had an extensive library of books that he was known to derive techniques from.

Now, dont get me wrong. I dont believe anything compares to training, in person, with a good quality instructor.

But, one must consider the variables.
Personally, I don't see any of those as options.

D

Deleted member 34973

So, it would be best not to train at all if you do not have a school near you. Got it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, it would be best not to train at all if you do not have a school near you. Got it.
It depends on what you want. If you want to get together with some buddies and beat the snot out of each other in the back yard, and become a reasonably capable brawler, well have at it. Just understand what it is you are doing and what it is you are NOT doing. You are NOT learning a martial system, even if you did watch some videos.

I recommend swimming, biking, weight training, running, etc. as better alternatives.

D

Deleted member 34973

I believe that if a person wants to learn the MA's, they will avail themselves of whatever mode they have access to.
I also beleve in whatever works for the individual, works. Regardlesd of instructors. Just my opinion.

Reactions: KPM

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Amazing. She's so ... alive.
Just asking, because I don't know boxing: what would be the benefit of her hitting the leaves?

If he had power, how would it look when he hit the bag? How would the bag move?

Thanks for the clips -- I'm just asking to fill some gaps in my knowledge.

I dunno why she's hitting leaves. *shrugs*

How the bag moves doesn't matter. Any random dude can rattle a bag with a haymaker. If all you needed to win a fight was power, we wouldn't need martial arts. The fact is, all of these guys would get more power out of wild swings than their crappy attempts at boxing. So, if he had power, his punches would look powerful :)

Here's George Foreman throwing *good* haymak- Eh, body hooks.

And here's a random dude doing bagwork.

Latest Discussions