Can women beat a man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you've been given a death sentence, you should be given the opportunity to fight a chimpanzee in a death match. If you win, you get pardoned. We'd see a LOT of attempts then.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you've been given a death sentence, you should be given the opportunity to fight a chimpanzee in a death match. If you win, you get pardoned. We'd see a LOT of attempts then.

Damnatio ad bestias. Why not? What could be considered cruel or unusual about that?

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Damnatio ad bestias. Why not? What could be considered cruel or unusual about that?
It would be completely voluntary. You're already sentenced to death anyway. And you're being given an opportunity to get out of it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or is it?

1 in 5, dude. At least 1-2 people are going to try going fangs out with a chimp and fail hard. By their own admission.
Yeah, but these people think that they'd win the fight. My guess is 1 in 1000 might win.
Unless...just like OP didn't specify which woman, it doesn't specify which chimp. Just 'a chimp'. If that's the case, I guess most people could take a baby chimp.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but these people think that they'd win the fight. My guess is 1 in 1000 might win.
Unless...just like OP didn't specify which woman, it doesn't specify which chimp. Just 'a chimp'. If that's the case, I guess most people could take a baby chimp.
Changed my mind as I hit enter. A baby chimp would have a mother chimp around. An enraged mama chimp is not something I'd give any humans a chance to win.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that the 1 in 1000 aren't necessarily exceptionally skilled or athletic. There just happened to be a moment during the fight where the planets were perfectly aligned and all that other mumbo jumbo. If they left the fight with zero permanent injuries (what are the odds of THAT happening?), their odds against a chimpanzee the second time around would still be 1 in 1000 like everybody else.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The question is - would you take that opportunity? Or submit to a much less painful death?
Well... there's controversy on whether or not lethal injection is painful. Many people who speak against it claim that it's extremely painful, but it does something to their nervous system that immobilizes them and prevents them from being able to express that pain.

Even if the critics are wrong, the idea of knowing that you're going to die in a matter of minutes and that there's nothing you can do about it is a scary thought in its own way. You can't "fight" a lethal injection after its been administered. That might be an incentive to fight the chimp.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It would be completely voluntary. You're already sentenced to death anyway. And you're being given an opportunity to get out of it.
Well, okay. I thought you were making a dark joke, but it sounds like you're actually warming up to the idea. So, to be clear, I think it's a terrible idea.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, okay. I thought you were making a dark joke, but it sounds like you're actually warming up to the idea. So, to be clear, I think it's a terrible idea.
I'm speaking hypothetically. We both know this is never going to happen.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... there's controversy on whether or not lethal injection is painful.
Just to inject (see what I did there?) a little reality here...

There are many different methods of "lethal injection" so this statement is pretty much meaningless without the context of WHICH method you're referring to.

However, the most commonly used method in the US is a 3-drug protocol. In this protocol, the drugs are a sedative, a paralytic, and an arrhythmic. The doses are high enough that any of them would likely be fatal even if it were the only drug injected.

The most common sedative is midazolam, with fentanyl being another option. If I have a patient on a ventilator, I might give as much as 5mg of this drug. The lethal injection protocols call for a dose of 500mg, which is many times the lethal dose.

The paralytic is generally vecuronium, with pancuronium being another option. These drugs block neurons and basically cause paralysis of all the muscles in the body except the heart. That means breathing ceases. The duration of effect is not really affected by dose. 100mg of vecuronium is a typical adult dose and is also the dose used for execution. That will result in paralysis for 45-60 minutes. Far longer than is required for death.

The arrhythmic is generally 240 mEq of Potassium Chloride, which stops the heart by inducing V-Fib. If I were doing K+ replacement therapy, it's generally at 20 mEq per hour. In a crisis, where hypokalemia was life threatening, I might go as high as 30 mEq per hour, but I'd be unhappy about it. Infusions of K+ commonly cause a burning sensation at the site, so I have no doubt that rapid injection of such a massive dose would hurt. However, since the person has already been given a lethal overdose of a rapid acting sedative, I think it's unlikely that they're awake.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The question is - would you take that opportunity? Or submit to a much less painful death?

But Sir, I want it more! - Rocket
If for some unknown reason I was in the position where I did not want to die for the reason I was convicted to death, then yes, I would want the smallest of chances. And Yes, I would try knowing it would require the chimp making a mistake and the "stars align" as previously stated.
That being said,
Dirty Dog is correct in how most of those procedures occur. He has more knowledge than my limited reading.
I was recently put under for a simple test / procedure.
It was really interesting as usually they inject and then I would have to wait a few seconds and begin to feel it slowly work.
Not the stuff used on me earlier this week.
It was Wow I fell tha... zzzzz

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just to inject (see what I did there?) a little reality here...

There are many different methods of "lethal injection" so this statement is pretty much meaningless without the context of WHICH method you're referring to.

However, the most commonly used method in the US is a 3-drug protocol. In this protocol, the drugs are a sedative, a paralytic, and an arrhythmic. The doses are high enough that any of them would likely be fatal even if it were the only drug injected.

The most common sedative is midazolam, with fentanyl being another option. If I have a patient on a ventilator, I might give as much as 5mg of this drug. The lethal injection protocols call for a dose of 500mg, which is many times the lethal dose.

The paralytic is generally vecuronium, with pancuronium being another option. These drugs block neurons and basically cause paralysis of all the muscles in the body except the heart. That means breathing ceases. The duration of effect is not really affected by dose. 100mg of vecuronium is a typical adult dose and is also the dose used for execution. That will result in paralysis for 45-60 minutes. Far longer than is required for death.

The arrhythmic is generally 240 mEq of Potassium Chloride, which stops the heart by inducing V-Fib. If I were doing K+ replacement therapy, it's generally at 20 mEq per hour. In a crisis, where hypokalemia was life threatening, I might go as high as 30 mEq per hour, but I'd be unhappy about it. Infusions of K+ commonly cause a burning sensation at the site, so I have no doubt that rapid injection of such a massive dose would hurt. However, since the person has already been given a lethal overdose of a rapid acting sedative, I think it's unlikely that they're awake.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But Sir, I want it more! - Rocket
If for some unknown reason I was in the position where I did not want to die for the reason I was convicted to death, then yes, I would want the smallest of chances. And Yes, I would try knowing it would require the chimp making a mistake and the "stars align" as previously stated.
That being said,
Dirty Dog is correct in how most of those procedures occur. He has more knowledge than my limited reading.
I was recently put under for a simple test / procedure.
It was really interesting as usually they inject and then I would have to wait a few seconds and begin to feel it slowly work.
Not the stuff used on me earlier this week.
It was Wow I fell tha... zzzzz
How many lethal injections has he been involved with? I’m going to tonight on a limb and guess none.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many lethal injections has he been involved with? I’m going to tonight on a limb and guess none.
Hi Steve,
1`) We have had issues in the past. So feel free to report away.
2) I never said he had experience. I said he had more knowledge than I do.
He is in the medical field. I am not. I acknowledge when someone has skill sets I respect, and understand it is outside of my areas of study.
That being said. Just because I agree with someone, you do not have to engage me.
I have gone out of my way to avoid threads you were active in.
I believe I had post 9 on this thread, and was follow up, and not engaging you.
Yes, you or I could ignore the other formally.
Yet, I wonder why you insist to always disagree with posts of mine?
Oh Wait all these questions are further engagement.
I should not do that.
As you and I cannot agree on the color of the sky, not if it is sunny or raining if we were within 6 feet of the other.
So please enjoy.
And engage others, as it is quite clear to me, you do it for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions