can we all just get along

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

thanks clapping tiger!! Instead of flipping and judging like most in this post becasue the disagree with me you just come in a make a point. Bravo. And a good point as well!! I never thought of that. You are right!! That does give them edge. Very good point!!! SOme training is better then none. MAkes sense to me. :)

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I do not expect you to see why posters 'flipped' on you - let me point out that in ANY forum where you will have experienced and expert levels of participants...you must be judicious in your choice of words. When a person posts with a tone of authority - but contradict themselves later - it tends to draw a strong reaction.
The other respondants made points also, good ones at that.

I am sorry, but it is evident to all that in this case - you were in over your head.
Let it go.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by hapki-bujutsu
I also agree that some tkd school do teach the old ways i am just saying most tkd schools today are geared twords sport. I am sorry if you think that is not so. It is a big sport that i love to watch.
Saying that there are lot of sport oriented TKD schools and "TKD is a dance that kinda looks like a fight, but TKD teaches you nothing about fighting" are two very different things. The first statement's true, the second statement's a lie at worst and bald ignorance at best.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

TKD is a dance that kinda looks like a fight

have you ever seen a tkd form.

to me it looks just like a deadly ballet.

over my head?
It is you who have sunk.

As a teacher and a 7th dan I have alot of thoughts on the martial arts. Let it go? you posted so you couldn't let it go. Sorry but becasue some one else disagrees with you does not mean the know nothing.

I never said two diffrent things. People just saw what the wanted to see. I said right from the start that tkd people should be resected. sheesh

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said right from the start that tkd people should be resected. sheesh

If you wish to show respect for TKD, then do so. You don't do so by categorizing it as a "dance".

You're showing your bias. Frankly, you're also showing a dearth of experience. I'd expect more of one claiming to be a 7th dan.

Steve Scott

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

claiming?? What does that mean?? I think I am begining to understand why your name is what it is. I would never accuse anyone on this board of not being truthful. You ignorence and disrespect shocks me. I thought I wouldn't find such things here.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

wait i minutes i just figured it out. Your tkd student arent you

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would never accuse anyone on this board of not being truthful.

I never said you weren't being truthful. Claims, you'll note, can be true or not. Regardless, I stand by my statement.

You lumped, categorized, stereotyped, pigeonholed, and pontificated...and not just about TKD, but other arts as well. I would imagine some Goju guys would have taken umbrage to your claims that it takes two decades to be fighting functional in their art, but I leave that to them.

"Can't we get along?" A noble goal, but with you as arbitrator?

My point is simply that much of what you state seems to come from a very narrow world view possibly colored by what you've read in the magazines, seen at tournaments, or possibly taken off of the internet. You might very well be a 7th dan in whatever...but you're using that to defend your waffling and wind changing stance. That looks bad.

wait i minutes i just figured it out. Your tkd student arent you

Ah, illumination!

Care to dance?

SCS

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
quote:

Then we come here:
YOu sigh because I like ti bow? SOrry but i like all facets of the martial arts. I also agree that some tkd school do teach the old ways i am just saying most tkd schools today are geared twords sport. I am sorry if you think that is not so. It is a big sport that i love to watch.

*another sigh* No...what I was saying is that you say that you have respect for all arts....EVEN Taebo. How much respect can you have when you word things in such a way?

Sorry...that statement is just plain ignorant. If you had actually read other people's input outside of your own, you would understand that the "Dance-ballet TKD" is just one interpretation of the training. More traditional schools aren't this way.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You really have got to be kidding. How can you be so naieve or believe we are?

As I said - I did not expect you to understand...and you still do not.
Thats OK - you have become quite amusing.
It seems pretty clear to the rest who have posted here just how poorly versed you are in overall martial methods. And a '7th dan', at that.
I am certain we would all be interested in what martial art - would you care to enlighten us?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

have you ever seen a tkd form.

to me it looks just like a deadly ballet.

Stop trying to spin it into something else. You said what you said. On top of that, you can say the same thing about any MA that practices forms/kata.

As a teacher and a 7th dan I have alot of thoughts on the martial arts. Let it go? you posted so you couldn't let it go. Sorry but becasue some one else disagrees with you does not mean the know nothing.

You seem to know nothing about TKD. Holding a 7th dan in a different art doesn't really qualify you to make random aspersions regardless. (A 7th dan in HKD? Isn't that supposed to take a while?)

I never said two diffrent things. People just saw what the wanted to see. I said right from the start that tkd people should be resected. sheesh
You said they were great atheletes that can move in interesting ways, but that they could not fight at all. In other words you flat out stated that TKD was totally ineffective as a means of self defense.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

I sent this to a female friend to ask her if she really though what I said was as bad as people took it. Who knows tone a voice does not exist over the internet. Her answer made the most sense. I said tkd people should be respected but nobody cares. Because said they are not fighters. Big male egos. My dad can beat up your dad type of thing. No tis is my htoughts but i see wear you are comming from. I took goju for a few years so i know about the art. I know tkd guys and some of my students once where tkd students. I also took hapkido four a little over 3 years and my master said the same thing i am saying here. tkd for sport hapkido for fighting skills. and he was a 4th dan in tkd.

My question has been answered by this post though.

Can't we all get along?

the answer i find is no.

OP
K

Kempo Guy

I am certain we would all be interested in what martial art - would you care to enlighten us?

I'm just gonna go out on the limb here but could it be......... "hapki-bujutsu"?

There's a history of the founder of this style half way down on this page.

I'm wondering, how come the name (hapki-bujutsu) contains both Korean and Japanese words?

KG

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said tkd people should be respected but nobody cares. Because said they are not fighters. Big male egos. My dad can beat up your dad type of thing. No tis is my htoughts but i see wear you are comming from.

Can anyone translate this for me?

Big male egos? As far as I know by looking at some profiles, I'm the only TKD guy in this entire thread that even went mano a mano with you on this thing. All the other folks taking issue with you seem to be from different arts. I can see why you might think my ego is involved, but THEM? What stake do they have in defending TKD?

Nor did any of us pit TKD or any other art against whatever it is you do...so much for the "My Dad can beat up your Dad" argument.

I also took hapkido four a little over 3 years and my master said the same thing i am saying here. tkd for sport hapkido for fighting skills. and he was a 4th dan in tkd.

OH. Well...who are we to question the opinion of your master?

C'mon. That is, at best, an Argumentum Ad Verecundiam. In English this is called "An appeal to authority." The authority in this case (your master) is just one of many. Some of those other authorities out there feel that Tae Kwon Do is a valid form of self defense as it stands, and they teach it that way.

As for you doing Hapkido for three years...I fail to see the relevance.

If you're a 7th dan, I'd suggest you quit referring to your master for public validation of your ideas. 7th dans can think for themselves, and should be well beyond the "My master told me" phase. Your arguments need to stand by themselves.

I took goju for a few years so i know about the art.

This qualifies you to judge that art as taking 20 years before it is functional in fighting? That's like somebody dropping out of college their junior year and telling people everything they need to know about the applicability of graduate level particle physics.

I've known only a handful of Goju folks here in Indiana and one I befriended San Francisco. They have my deepest respect as fighters and as martial artists (and I don't even like some of the Indiana bunch). They take pride in their art, and rightfully so. They can also fight with it. None of them were 20-year-in-the-art sages.

Can't we all get along?
the answer i find is no.

I don't know...some of the people that jumped to TKD's defense were some non-TKD types. They showed, I think, respect and maturity...they weren't too quick to judge. I think I can get along with those folks just fine.

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

first off i take offense to your suggestions that my former masters should mean nothing to me if my rank is higher then thiers in another style. I will always respect them and their thoughts for what they have given me. My training is somthing they gave me that can not be taken away. I feel sorry for you current teacher if this is how you feel!

This is from a tkd website

Benefits of Tae Kwon Do

Tae Kwon Do students earn numerous benefits from the study of the martial arts. They learn how to increase their physical and mental fitness, and improve their balance and coordination. Students also learn patience and respect towards others and, most importantly, toward themselves.

In the truest sense, this martial arts is not about learning how to fight and defend oneself. As martial artists, we encourage self-discipline and try to instill in our students admirable human qualities that will help them in every aspect of their lives. Ultimately, Tae Kwon Do is about living, not fighting.

The five most important lessons to be learned in Tae Kwon Do are Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit. If students practice these five tenets, they will become good role models and will always set an example for others to follow. In addition, they will exemplify the true philosophy of Tae Kwon Do, which is to become an honorable human being with perfect character and physical condition.

Tkd is not a fighting art. It is an art that mimics fighting. But I repete but there is nothing wrong with that. Tkd people have jumping and tuning skills I could never have. They train hard. They should be respected for that.

My dad can beat up my dad was used as what is called a metaphor. If you are as young as you sound I am sorry for expexting you to be able to think a certian way.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

by the way anyone who know a little about tkd history i found a site where they say a old korean drawing shows how long tkd was praticed. however some beleive the picture depicts two people dancing where they look so simular.

The dancing thing was not so far off.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simply astounding!
Some people dont know when to quit.

Simple specifics would be the only thing that could salvage any shred of authenticity you could hope to claim.

I read the link above...just about the only arts your 'student' left out are Aikido and 'Hi-Kuta'.

I have to admit though -- you have brought many a smile to the folks who have bothered to respond to this thread.

To answer the post that started this whole exercise -- yes, WE can all get along...we usually do...when we have a common interest.

You have provided that, Mr. Young.
The only one you seem to have fooled here -- is yourself.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dad can beat up my dad was used as what is called a metaphor. If you are as young as you sound I am sorry for expexting you to be able to think a certian way.

Ah, a lecture on the use of the metaphor. I haven't had one of those since I was a senior at Indiana University, double majoring in English and Journalism...24 years ago.

(Good Lord...I'm really having fun with this.)

Tkd is not a fighting art. It is an art that mimics fighting.
The dancing thing was not so far off.

Shall we dance, then? I'll let you lead.

I went to the web site Kempo Guy posted, H-B. Jigs up, boy. You've been "outed".

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

instead of attacking my thought you attack me. You may know how i feel as i have said so but you do not know me. for some reason you have taken me as a threat to you and I don't know why.

The only thing i can guess at and i may be wrong. is that what you say about myself is what you have of fear of yourself.

Resepect yourself enough to not have to be like this. Untill you change you will never be at peace. As i said from the start all facets of the martial arts should be respected.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

i see i have hit a nerve with you jarhead. I see whats going on and i am sorry. I didn't meant to hurt your feelings. That is not what I was trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions