Time for Testing... Ready?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, here's my situation in a nutshell...

My instructor is pushing for me to test. He feels that I have been in my current rank for too long.

I don't feel that I have the proper grasp of the techniques yet.

I respect his opinion as my instructor and the fact that he thinks I need to test for my rank, but I also know my own limitations and level of understanding.

I explained that I don't feel "Ready" to test, that my technical understanding is still lacking. He feels that my movement looks fine and that I have put enough time in to know the material.

Durring classes, he sees me "flowing" around techniques, modifying them to the situation, maintaining a good kame, etc.
When It comes time to test, however, I need to demonstrate SPECIFIC techniques, patterns of movement, etc... and that's where I feel I am lacking.

Is this just an insecurity issue? Should I trust my Instructor's judgement in my readiness to test? Or should I voice my concern and desire to continue to practice at my current level until I am comfortable enough with the techniques and their use?

Keep in mind too, it's not about him pushing me to test for monetary reasons, as he does not charge us to test, and as we progress in rank monthly dues actually DECREASE... He's not trying to make a buck...

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The one time this happened to me, I went ahead and tested and did alright. If you trust your instructor, you should trust when they think you are ready to move on.

Cthulhu

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
If money isn't the issue, I'd trust him. I might trust him even if he did charge a fee, however...it depends on the instructor and your gut feeling about his integrity in that regard.

When I was coming up through the ranks, I NEVER felt ready. After each test, I'd train that much harder to try to live up to my expectations of what I thought a (fill in the color) belt should be. Sometimes promoting a student can be the best way to motivate them to get better.

Remember that often an instructor can extrapolate where he sees you going...in other words he can guess how you're going to do down the road based on what he sees you doing now.

SCS

G

Galvatron

Part of being a good instructor is knowing where your students are, ability wise.
If he thinks you are ready, you probably are.

K

Kroy

I agree with the others but if you dont feel ready, dont do it. It's your call and your teacher will understand.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Technopunk
My instructor is pushing for me to test. He feels that I have been in my current rank for too long.
I explained that I don't feel "Ready" to test, that my technical understanding is still lacking. He feels that my movement looks fine and that I have put enough time in to know the material.

If you trust your instructor, let him do his job and guide you.

Originally posted by Technopunk
I respect his opinion as my instructor and the fact that he thinks I need to test for my rank, but I also know my own limitations and level of understanding. When It comes time to test, however, I need to demonstrate SPECIFIC techniques, patterns of movement, etc... and that's where I feel I am lacking.

I understand how you feel, this I think is very normal, but don't let yourself get caught in "your own little comfort zone"!

One becomes "Humble" when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little".

Allow your instructor his due, allow him to test you, and you do your part the to the best of your ability. If you have trained hard .... You will do fine... if not, you will need to set a better course and work harder, either way you win in the end.

This is just my opinion..... remember, your instructor doesn't want lousy students either! So he is prodding you to reach for higher levels that He may see in you and you may not realize yet!
:asian:

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Go for it. If your instructor says you should it means you probably should. Your probably ready.

Good luck on the test if you take it

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One sign that you ARE ready to test is that you recognize what you need to do to improve your material. You understand your material well enough to see your next steps. Progressing to the next belt will give you new material that will help you gain additional depth and insight into your current material. It sounds like your instructor recognizes this and wants you to succeed. Go test!

L

LadyDragon

If your instructor thinks your ready, then changes are that he's right. Chances are he isn't going to test you out of the blue. So if you feel that you're lacking in something, make it a point to train those even harder before your test.

Fear is our biggest enemy. If you can defeat your own fear, you can defeat any enemy.

M

MartialArtsChic

If your instructor didn't think you were ready to test, then you wouldn't be testing. Go test, roll with it, do your best, if you have weak areas then train and strengthen them and have fun.

Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy. If our standards are high then no matter how good we are at what we do, it's never good enough.

MAChic

P

pknox

Technopunk:

I'm assuming you've been training with your instructor for a little while and he is aware of your strengths and weaknesses. If that is the case, I say do it if your instructor feels you're ready -- believe it or not, the limitation you perceive may be a limitation that's actually an appropriate one for your rank level. Think about it - if you were a yonkyu who was testing for sankyu, and you were hesitant to test because you felt you weren't ready to demonstrate "shodan level" proficiency, you're instructor would tell you not to worry - that would come in time. That may very well be the case. BTW, the fact that you acknowledge your limitations shows your humility as well, and that is very admirable.

If you do decide to go through with the test, good luck! I am sure you will do just fine.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy. If our standards are high then no matter how good we are at what we do, it's never good enough.

Yeah...but in some respects that is a good problem to have...as long as we keep plugging away. Its bad if we throw our hands up in frustration and give up.

SCS

M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Yeah...but in some respects that is a good problem to have...as long as we keep plugging away. Its bad if we throw our hands up in frustration and give up.

SCS

You are absolutely correct.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Punk (strange to say that in a nice way)
#1: You say that you respect him as your instructor (and I don't doubt it)... then follow his lead. Your rank in HIS school is HIS to give and/or take.

You know it's not for any reason other than to honestly reflect YOUR ability in the art he shares with you.

Remember, rank doesn't reflect just refelct the accumulation of a set number of techniques that can be read from a page... in fact more and more I find myself not nearly as concerned with the number of techniques I 'know' (whatever that word means) and MUCH more concerned with my performance and manipulation of that which I already know. My instructor talked to me years ago when he was testing me (I just thought it was one He11 of a LONG & ROUGH class....nope....twas my belt test)... upon learning that I being advanced I exclaimed that I wasn't ready.
First he frowned and said "I wasn't aware that you were the teacher." :( Put in my place pronto. Then he asked why I thought that way. I said that the next belt required thus and so techniques and I rattled off the ones that I didn't yet know. He said you are right... you don't know those yet. Then he asked me why I train so hard, was it to "Know" or to be "able"... I concluded that it was to be Able. He said that he'd watched me for weeks and knew a week or two earlier that I was "able" at the level needed for the next rank.
Nuff said.

Don't worry about 'technique collection', you are in it for the Long Haul... am I right? You'll learn those techniques! I did.
But for now you are just too "Able" to retain your current rank.

TRUST him. Sensei means 'one who's gone before'.

Hope this helps
Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Listen to what Mr. Conaster said!
Honor your Sensei, follow his lead....
He feels you deserve the belt... wear it when he says to.... THEN DO you Damnedest to fill in the gaps you sense. You'll be all the more motivated to AFTER you are wearing the next color.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
the fact that you acknowledge your limitations shows your humility as well, and that is very admirable.

Humility is something to look for in determining if someone is ready to be promoted.
Character development is no small thing.

Your Brother
John

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, everyone... thanks for your input.

We set my testing date to a week from sunday, so I am just going to relax and test.

If I pass, then that just proves that I am being too hard on myself.

If I fail, it just means that I need to continue to develop.

Thanks for all your input.

M

MartialArtsChic

Good Luck! Relax and just go with it. You'll pass, no problem.

Latest Discussions