Can someone explain kakushi keri please?

Matt300ZXT

White Belt
Reaction score
We were going over some Koto Ryu stuff last night in class and my teacher had gotten some extra notes on Koto Ryu he had never been given before, which is pretty much a fancy looking book I found online called Koto Ryu Koppojutsu Takamatsuden. Anyways, it lists the basic punches, kicks, postures, etc used in Koto Ryu and the teacher couldn't remember how to do kakushi keri exactly. From the description in the book, it sounds like a crescent kick like from TKD but we were going to research it some more and come back to it.

Does anyone on here care to word it a little better, or maybe have some pictures or a video of it being performed?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm. Yeah, I can explain it better than that (it's not a crescent kick a la TKD or anything similar), but honestly I'm not sure that I should. If it's something your instructor is lacking in their education, that may be telling enough

Here's a clue, though. The name means "hidden kick".

OP
M

Matt300ZXT

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sorry I came here for help to get something cleared up. I have no doubts of anyone I train with and their skill or knowledge level, but not everyone is going to remember every little thing they learn in an art as expansive as ninjutsu. I haven't done kung fu in quite a while, but with that logic, just because I can't remember every single move of a form I used to do, or every little chi sau then I should give up my ranks I acquired.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll be a little kinder then... a kakushi keri refers to a range of kicks, depending on the system itself, but most commonly to a kick from close quarters raising your foot so the instep (the side of the ball of your foot) in angled up. The most common target is the groin. But, in some cases, actions such as stomping the ankle would be considered kakushi keri, or a hooking heel kick to the kidneys, or a kick that stomps across the knee... really, anything that's hidden. But your instructor really should know that, and such technical information is best learnt in classes, and not handed out on forums, hence the initial answer you got.

Oh, and in regard to your kung fu question (Wing Chun, no one else has Chi Sau, by the way), you should "give up your rank" if you stop training in it. Rank/ability is something that requires upkeep, not something that is ever present after once having attained.

Oh, and the idea of a kakushi keri isn't something that should slip the mind of an instructor. Not remembering each and every kata from memory I could get behind, but not knowing one of the few fundamental kicks is less forgivable.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, there's a simple reason why you may be referred back to your instructor to learn something, rather than have it written out here on a forum. All the words we've got are often very inadequate for description and explanation. Other times, it's just simply that there are a lot of considerations involved in explaining it that are easier done in person. Or... as seems perhaps to be the case here, the name and description wouldn't really be much help. It's also possible that you related a misunderstanding in what you're teacher said...

skuggvarg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We were going over some Koto Ryu stuff last night in class and my teacher had gotten some extra notes on Koto Ryu he had never been given before, which is pretty much a fancy looking book I found online called Koto Ryu Koppojutsu Takamatsuden. Anyways, it lists the basic punches, kicks, postures, etc used in Koto Ryu and the teacher couldn't remember how to do kakushi keri exactly. From the description in the book, it sounds like a crescent kick like from TKD but we were going to research it some more and come back to it.

Does anyone on here care to word it a little better, or maybe have some pictures or a video of it being performed?

I wouldnt trust that fancy looking book. Can you tell which waza you were working on?

Regards / Skuggvarg

Latest Discussions