Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still gotta see if we can resolve the inspection issues and clear financing.

It's been an annoying day.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FYI, in my experience, homeowners insurance does NOT cover water damage, for example due to backed-up drains, etc, unless you purchase a specific rider on your police. ASK YOUR AGENT or you may end up sucking up the water and the cost of the damages yourself.

I know my neighbor in NC got screwed; the water main broke, but it was in her front yard. The city fixed it, but sent her the bill. He sent it to his insurance company and NO DICE they refused to pay. $6,000 she had to eat it herself. Oh, and another $600 to the water company for the water itself.

Oy. And I have a condo .... for that sort of issue, where does my responsibility stop and the HOA's begin? I'm curious to what the agent will say.

Helps a lot, this is an awesome discussion .....many many thanks :asian:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
House update. Most concerns resolved satisfactory, working on last issue which will hopefully be worked out by mid-week. So, so far, we're on track to close. After this, need to deal with appraiser and bank. Whee.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The electrician came in, basically agreed 95% with the inspector. Said the guy who wired the house didn't know what he was doing. We need a new cable from the utility company split, possibly new meter, new cable into the house, and by code a new master panel inside. Line to the garage needs to be rerun, and the panel in there replaced. Electricians going to send a quote to the home owners agent, and we'll be going from there. Ball park was $800-1,600.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The electrician came in, basically agreed 95% with the inspector. Said the guy who wired the house didn't know what he was doing. We need a new cable from the utility company split, possibly new meter, new cable into the house, and by code a new master panel inside. Line to the garage needs to be rerun, and the panel in there replaced. Electricians going to send a quote to the home owners agent, and we'll be going from there. Ball park was $800-1,600.
Uh, not to sound discouraging, but I'd lean on the $1600 side of that. Hidden electrical isn't the place to get cheap and they know it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uh, not to sound discouraging, but I'd lean on the $1600 side of that. Hidden electrical isn't the place to get cheap and they know it.

Yup. Whatever they said, double it. That will be the size of the check you actually write when they are done.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've reserved the right to get another estimate.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basement's been pretty dry the last few times we've been in to check and we've had some rains and thaws so I'm feeling better about it. The walls were stone that's been sealed, cemented and waterproofed. I can see possibly jackhammering the floor out down the road and getting it redone but it's not a 'need it in the next few years' thing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a thought -- but you might want to start budgeting for a structural engineer's assessment down the road. It may just be that the floor is old enough to be having some failures. Or... there could be a lot more. Did the inspector say anything about foundations? My fear would be that there are problems under the floor or under the foundation, deeper than a little water infiltration.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The assessor we're expecting has a track record of pointing those things out, real nitpicker. But I'll def. keep that in mind. Foundations though looked good. No cracks in the walls, paint wasn't recent so that looked ok. Floor was painted recently which was a red flag.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
FYI, in my experience, homeowners insurance does NOT cover water damage, for example due to backed-up drains, etc, unless you purchase a specific rider on your police. ASK YOUR AGENT or you may end up sucking up the water and the cost of the damages yourself.

I know my neighbor in NC got screwed; the water main broke, but it was in her front yard. The city fixed it, but sent her the bill. He sent it to his insurance company and NO DICE they refused to pay. $6,000 she had to eat it herself. Oh, and another $600 to the water company for the water itself.

Really? Our old house had water damage on the ground floor ceiling. Apparently a pipe inside the ceiling had made contact with the dry wall. Condensation built up and slowly created water damage. We didn't notice until little pieces of the ceiling started falling down. It didn't occur to me that my insurance wouldn't cover it. I called them up immediately and they sent adjusters around and recommended someone to redo our ceiling. But maybe that's completely different to backed up drains and broken water mains.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like this ones falling through. The inspector found a concern with the electric. Estimated $800-1,600 to fix. Owners brought in an electrician who wasn't licensed to work in Buffalo who agreed with our inspectors assessment. Not sure what his estimate was, but they offered a $1,000 credit back. We brought in our own electrician, who agreed with the work needed that the previous 2 indicated, but gave an estimate of $3,400. The owners are offering $2k and being a bit stubborn. Given we also have a concern with the roof, drainage of the property and water damage in the garage, we're insistent that the electric be resolved by someone properly licensed, who will do things by the book, to code and not cut corners. We've indicated our willingness to walk, and it's looking like that may be the result. Bit bummed, but there's other houses and we'll find ours sooner or later.

:)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but,sometimes its better to walk away from a headache. However things go I hope they go for the best!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Looks like this ones falling through. The inspector found a concern with the electric. Estimated $800-1,600 to fix. Owners brought in an electrician who wasn't licensed to work in Buffalo who agreed with our inspectors assessment. Not sure what his estimate was, but they offered a $1,000 credit back. We brought in our own electrician, who agreed with the work needed that the previous 2 indicated, but gave an estimate of $3,400. The owners are offering $2k and being a bit stubborn. Given we also have a concern with the roof, drainage of the property and water damage in the garage, we're insistent that the electric be resolved by someone properly licensed, who will do things by the book, to code and not cut corners. We've indicated our willingness to walk, and it's looking like that may be the result. Bit bummed, but there's other houses and we'll find ours sooner or later.

:)

I had somethingsimilar happen during my last house search and it was actually a blessing. Ihad a horrible gut feeling about the house form the beginning but my wife andeveryone else seemed to like it. When the inspector found a big-time electricalissue and a foundation issue I felt a great weight lift from my shoulders.

2 weeks later I found a great house but it was a bit outside of our range formwork we had set so I did not mention it to my wife. a couple of days later mywife told me about a house she found during a web search, that was a littleoutside of the range we set for travel to work.... it was the same house. Itpassed with flying colors and we bought it, no feelings of dread at all.Actually I am rather happy about it… and you know… it came with a clean andrather huge basement with an extra high ceiling… CMA weapons forms friendly :EG:

You will find a house

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's always a let down, but I agree, the right house is out there. I've also had an instance with a house falling through, and while being bummed initially, turned out to be a huge blessing.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sellers have agreed to full concessions. Realtor now working up amended contract for lawyers to review. Might just get this house after all. Guess I should start packing huh? :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Woo Hoo!! *dancing happy dance*

Now don't go moving in a snowstorm, ya hear? :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Closing is March 30th, so hopefully we won't. :D

Once we're in, I get the 'fun' of digging a french drain and dry well to divert the water by the garage.
By hand.
Think I can cancel my gym membership....moving that much earth and gravel's gonna be a nice work out. LOL

Latest Discussions