Buying a home.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the plan to Escape from NY has to be put on hold for a while. Between the economy being as it is, employment opportunities slim, and not a huge coffer to cover a cross country move and several months of looking, etc we decided to look local for a place to call our own. After 4 months looking, we finally found one, put a bid in and it was accepted. Now we wait for the lawyer review, home inspection then the mortgage application.

Fingers crossed, we should be good to go somewhere in March and moved in before April 1st. :)

Nice little 3 bedroom on a double lot. Lots of natural woodwork and real wood floors, a sweet 2 1/2 car garage (perfect for a studio) and a good amount of land for being in the city.

:)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Soooooo very happy for you!!! Yaaaay!!!

Keep me posted, if I can at all swing it, I will come out to help you move. I hate that I didn't have the $$ to make it out for your wedding, I hope that I can make it out to help celebrate your new home. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you need this for the kitchen:
sledgehammer.jpg

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the plan to Escape from NY has to be put on hold for a while. Between the economy being as it is, employment opportunities slim, and not a huge coffer to cover a cross country move and several months of looking, etc we decided to look local for a place to call our own. After 4 months looking, we finally found one, put a bid in and it was accepted. Now we wait for the lawyer review, home inspection then the mortgage application.

Fingers crossed, we should be good to go somewhere in March and moved in before April 1st. :)

Nice little 3 bedroom on a double lot. Lots of natural woodwork and real wood floors, a sweet 2 1/2 car garage (perfect for a studio) and a good amount of land for being in the city.

:)

New York is truly a beautiful state! You almost make me homesick...right up until I remember the taxes... Congrats though!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$79,900 Neighborhoods decent. I grew up a few streets over.

Is that the right price? I ask because for a simliar house here it would be about $353,000 at least. A semi detached three bedroom house in North Yorkshire on a not too good neighbourhood will cost you £100,000. London and surrounds don't even think about it, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that the right price? I ask because for a simliar house here it would be about $353,000 at least. A semi detached three bedroom house in North Yorkshire on a not too good neighbourhood will cost you £100,000. London and surrounds don't even think about it, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it!

Yep, that's the right price. The Buffalo area's mostly missed the real estate boom and bust cycle. I've been saying they're stuck in the 80's for years, lol.

Buffalo average price for a home is $60-100k. Average taxes are about $1500/yr. Subburbs depending on which one, double and triple those taxes, with home prices in the $90k and up range. We looked at some open houses in the $750k range...loved them of course. But way out of my budget.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

But you build houses from stone...smart little piggies that you are.
We build houses from sticks. They do blow away a lot.... (we had another tornado last Monday)

(They took your house off the market! :D)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats Bob. We are in the middle of this process right now. Except we are bidding on a home in Maine, which only my wife has physically been to, we started looking less than two weeks ago and we have to close by March 3-4. The new job came in a hurry. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats Bob!! I hope it works out for both of you! :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you build houses from stone...smart little piggies that you are.
We build houses from sticks. They do blow away a lot.... (we had another tornado last Monday)

(They took your house off the market! :D)

We do moan about our whether but I don't think we actually know how lucky we are with it really.

At those house prices I'd come across and buy a house but for the fact there's be a load of MTers at my door annoyed at something I've written lol! though perhaps if they did they'd realise how mild I am on here :)

Houses here are made of stone or brick usually, new ones are breeze block with stone or brick facing. Some houses in parts of the country are made of cob.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-glorious-mud-homes-made-of-earth-932752.html

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always liked cob as building material from what I've seen on it. Plus, foot thick walls are nicely insulated. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

It's all about location... A similar place where I live would run $300K to $400K. But where I work.. It'd be closer to $800K. Move another 30 to 40 minutes west of me, and it's be around $200K.

When my wife heard how much I paid for my townhouse... she was a bit in shock. Where she grew up in Missouri... I could have bought a HUGE single family place, on a HUGE lot.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
$79,900 Neighborhoods decent. I grew up a few streets over.

wow, my down payment was more than that and I've got all of one bedroom and a back yard rimmed by fencing 25 feet by 65 feet. And that was a "nicely" priced forclosed property AND I'm not even technically in San Francisco anymore. Just over the line. If I was still in SF I would probably have another 100K on the price.

AND I needed to put in a new foundation...

that's San Francisco real estate for you.

Well, congrats, it is nice to have your own home to do with as you please.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since the link broke, heres some pics.
$house_14.jpg$house_13.jpg$house_12.jpg$house_11.jpg$house_10.jpg$house_09.jpg$house_08.jpg$house_06.jpg$house_05.jpg$house_03.jpg