Bujinkan Founding

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, now that you mention it...why not? It's kind of like passing the sakki test without being able to apply kihon happo properly, right?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
-MOD NOTE-

Please return this thread to its original Topic.

-Technopunk
-MT Super Mod

Dustin

White Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
It comes from Soke himself. Now ask yourself this - is it reasonable to believe that the majority of Bujinkan members around the world kill people on a regular basis?

.....where did this killing people stuff come from? when did I ever talk about that.... i'm really confused:idunno:

Technopunk said:
-MOD NOTE-

Please return this thread to its original Topic.

-Technopunk
-MT Super Mod

I completely agree!

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
"The Bujinkan is about killing people." It comes from Soke himself.

You could take any comment from Soke and turn it into a complete thread about the deep meaning of it all. I personally like the one when he admonished all the men in the room to have a strong "third leg" as he stiffly held a bo to his hip.... :rolleyes: Come now, Nimravus....

arnisador said:
I think you meant this as a positive statement about his physical abilities, but given how longe he's been teaching, couldn't it be taken as a negative statement about his teaching abilities? Shouldn't someone amongst his students be pretty close by now, after all these years?

Soke admits that he is not the best teacher. He's like a genius jazz musician who doesn't necessarily understand how he can do what he can do. He relies on others to be able to figure it out, and translate it into digestible pieces that others can learn from. Doesn't mean that a newbie trumpet player (or even a newbie harp player!) should avoid opportunities to play with Miles Davis, but it definitely means that the really talented trumpet players get more out of the experience. I believe this addresses the points raised about whether Soke is speaking to the Judan only or anyone in general.

I personally feel that ANYONE can benefit from time with Soke. Who wouldn't want to be in the same room when Picasso was painting? Soke will not be with us forever and the chance to experience his wisdom, humor and budo feeling will be lost to us all some day....

As for whether others have caught him, I think would be definitely possible, if Soke would just stand still for a while. :rolleyes: Sadly(?), he has never stopped learning, and so he continues to keep a distance between himself and others. I think there are some incredibly talented people out there, but Soke keeps ahead of them by keeping his spirits about him, by humbly realizing that he does not know it all, and by "keeping going." Soke sets a great example for us all.

-ben

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
bencole said:
You could take any comment from Soke and turn it into a complete thread about the deep meaning of it all. I personally like the one when he admonished all the men in the room to have a strong "third leg" as he stiffly held a bo to his hip.... :rolleyes: Come now, Nimravus....

Soke admits that he is not the best teacher. He's like a genius jazz musician who doesn't necessarily understand how he can do what he can do. He relies on others to be able to figure it out, and translate it into digestible pieces that others can learn from. Doesn't mean that a newbie trumpet player (or even a newbie harp player!) should avoid opportunities to play with Miles Davis, but it definitely means that the really talented trumpet players get more out of the experience. I believe this addresses the points raised about whether Soke is speaking to the Judan only or anyone in general.

I personally feel that ANYONE can benefit from time with Soke. Who wouldn't want to be in the same room when Picasso was painting? Soke will not be with us forever and the chance to experience his wisdom, humor and budo feeling will be lost to us all some day....

As for whether others have caught him, I think would be definitely possible, if Soke would just stand still for a while. :rolleyes: Sadly(?), he has never stopped learning, and so he continues to keep a distance between himself and others. I think there are some incredibly talented people out there, but Soke keeps ahead of them by keeping his spirits about him, by humbly realizing that he does not know it all, and by "keeping going." Soke sets a great example for us all.

-ben

Could not agree more Cole San. There are NO teachers just students and Soke is just the best of them and the only real personal student he has ever had. We should all take a leaf from his book in that regard. I think this is also a measure to look for in anyone you are going to train under if they are a student first who you can learn from, rather than a teacher who wants to teach you . The instructor should learn as much from his other students as they learn from him/her. Soke was like a wide eyed child watching me make a interesting kakushi buki out of a common item he had never seen before.

As for Gary/Gina's question the Bujinkan was founded this very morning as it has been founded on every morning by Soke and will keep being founded with the rising sun of each new day. :D

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bencole said:
Doesn't mean that a newbie trumpet player (or even a newbie harp player!) should avoid opportunities to play with Miles Davis, but it definitely means that the really talented trumpet players get more out of the experience. I believe this addresses the points raised about whether Soke is speaking to the Judan only or anyone in general.

Whom he is speaking to, seems to me to be one thing. Whomever picks up something useful is another.

bencole said:
I personally feel that ANYONE can benefit from time with Soke. Who wouldn't want to be in the same room when Picasso was painting?

I guarantee you it wouldn't have made me a better painter. The only thing I ask of a painting is that people should be able to see what it is, i.e. a painting. You can't see that when I paint something.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Koinu said:
As for Gary/Gina's question the Bujinkan was founded this very morning as it has been founded on every morning by Soke and will keep being founded with the rising sun of each new day. :D

Is that measured in GMT?

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Whom he is speaking to, seems to me to be one thing. Whomever picks up something useful is another.

Soke is speaking to those who have the eyes to see and the ears to listen.

-ben

Latest Discussions