Interesting read concerning Bujinkan

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr Hatsumi's evidence had already been assessed by the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai and/or Shinkokain when he tried to gain admission.

Nope. Hatsumi was asked to join. He declined. Had he tried to join he would have had to lay out his sources, but that never came to pass.

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am genuinely impressed to see you saying this, because I have never seen you say something as generous about the other men who've left Mr Hatsumi and teach their own systems. Do you also feel that the Jinenkan, Toshindo and whatever Alex Mordine is now teaching are also climbing the same mountain as the Bujinkan?

There are plenty of people who have left the Bujinkan who retain my respect as martial artists and as men: Doron Navon, Quintin Chambers, Jeff Sherwin, Stephan Marcec, Chuck Dervenis, and so on. Martial arts are all about finding what *YOU* need.

The problems I have expressed with some others who have left the Bujinkan is their actions after leaving or their reason for leaving.

(1) Some, despite supposedly going their own way, continue to emphasize their relationship with Hatsumi-sensei in trying to sell their "new way." If it's not Bujinkan, it's not Bujinkan period. Don't say that you are teaching Bujinkan, when, in fact, you are teaching some chimera art. If you want to do some chimera, or train completely in another art, then call it a chimera and go for it!!! You have my complete support! But don't call it Bujinkan.

(2) Some have shown through their actions or words that they lack integrity. Some have outright falsified their training experiences or knowledge. That's a no-no no matter who you are, imo.

(3) I personally think it is stupid to stop training in an art merely because you don't think others deserve their rank or don't understand certain things. Martial arts are a personal pursuit. To stop training in an art merely because someone else doesn't see the same things you see in your own training is kinda silly, imo. But that's just my take.

I'm certain that if you were to go back and look at my comments/arguments regarding particular individuals over the past decade, you will find that they map onto one of these three core ideas.

Hope that helps!

-ben

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm certain that if you were to go back and look at my comments/arguments regarding particular individuals over the past decade, you will find that they map onto one of these three core ideas.

Great post Ben! Although, I haven't been around the Bujinkan as long as you, I would definitely agree that they all fall into those three core ideas.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am genuinely impressed to see you saying this, because I have never seen you say something as generous about the other men who've left Mr Hatsumi and teach their own systems. Do you also feel that the Jinenkan, Toshindo and whatever Alex Mordine is now teaching are also climbing the same mountain as the Bujinkan?

Paul

I look at it this way - it's a bit like discussing the differences between Coke and Pepsi and all the different clones and variations thereof. Yes, there are differences, but at the same time there's a bottle of whisky standing there at the sidelines just laughing and shaking its head at the whole thing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are plenty of people who have left the Bujinkan who retain my respect as martial artists and as men: Doron Navon, Quintin Chambers, Jeff Sherwin, Stephan Marcec, Chuck Dervenis, and so on. Martial arts are all about finding what *YOU* need.

The problems I have expressed with some others who have left the Bujinkan is their actions after leaving or their reason for leaving.

(1) Some, despite supposedly going their own way, continue to emphasize their relationship with Hatsumi-sensei in trying to sell their "new way." If it's not Bujinkan, it's not Bujinkan period. Don't say that you are teaching Bujinkan, when, in fact, you are teaching some chimera art. If you want to do some chimera, or train completely in another art, then call it a chimera and go for it!!! You have my complete support! But don't call it Bujinkan.

(2) Some have shown through their actions or words that they lack integrity. Some have outright falsified their training experiences or knowledge. That's a no-no no matter who you are, imo.

(3) I personally think it is stupid to stop training in an art merely because you don't think others deserve their rank or don't understand certain things. Martial arts are a personal pursuit. To stop training in an art merely because someone else doesn't see the same things you see in your own training is kinda silly, imo. But that's just my take.

Hope that helps!

-ben

Nice post Ben!

Latest Discussions