BS or Not?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I keep forcing myself to go weak side forward/strong side back. I’m fine with that with lesser skilled sparring partners. When I’m outclassed, I really struggle with staying with it. .
What kind of "struggle" do you experience when you feel that your opponent is better than you?

My main knock down punch is my leading arm body rotation hook (or hay-maker) and not my back arm cross. All my life, I have never put my weak side forward (not even once). So I don't have your experience.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MO, it's smart to put your strongest soldiers as close to your enemy as possible
In chess and in ancient and modern war it's the opposite. The strongest soldiers took many years to train and gain experience they are the ones that you can least afford to lose in battle. Historically the weaker soldiers were trained to a point where they were useful. Often times they performed the most dangerous task, not to win, but maneuver the the enemy into a bad position where the stronger forces could quickly destroy them. If the weaker soldiers survived then they would often become stronger through training and gained experience.
In the striking art, it's just a right punch on the face vs. a left punch on the face.
I don't think it's simple for striking arts which is why so many people can only fight from one stance. I can use both hands but I can't do the same techniques equally well with my left hand. I gave up on trying to make that a reality many years ago. I learned that my left arm does certain things better than my right arm. So I trained my left within its strengths and not its weakness. There's nothing in training that says the left arm has to jab equally as well as the right arm. If you can do more effective uppercuts by using your left arm then you make that a specialty technique for your left arm. By training like this your left arm now becomes the power arm for uppercuts while being the weaker arm for jabs.

Can he do this throw as good as he can on the other side? IMO, it's quite unlikely.
That's the thing. He doesn't have to do the same technique equally as well on both sides. Some throwing techniques will work better using his left side and other techniques will work better using his right side.
Real life example. Take note of which side I take people down with. Which hand is my power hand is it my left arm or my right arm? When I take people down do they fall to my left or my right? Which arm is driving the power? Which arm is controlling or locking into place.

This is my brother wrestling. If you look you'll notice that sometimes he goes in with is left arm and other times he goes in with his right arm

My theory on fighting is that being able to do the same technique equally with both hands is stupid. If you learn 5 techniques equally on both sides then you only know 5 techniques. If you learn 5 techniques that you are good with on your right arm and 5 techniques that you are good with on your left arm then you know 10 usable techniques. Because you took the 5 techniques that were easy to do with your left arm, then you have now made that left arm a power arm for that specific technique even though it's not your strongest arm.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At the end of the day, its how you train. There are options. Strong side forward, Strong side back and switching. They can all work, they have all been proven successful. They all have flaws and limitations. You must understand how to apply and use which ever one you choose... because people know how to take advantage of the weaknesses inherent in each of them.
Exactly

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He doesn't have to do the same technique equally as well on both sides.
Agree with you on this.

My right side techniques and my left side techniques are completely different. For example, I have used my

- left leg to sweep down many opponents. I have never used my right leg to sweep down anybody.
- right leg to cut down (hook and pull the outside of my opponent's leading leg) many opponents. I have never used my left leg to cut down anybody.

The reason is simple. Since I don't switched sides, my leading right leg is closer to my opponent, it does give me enough distance to generate enough sweeping power. But it's fast enough for me to use it to hook my opponent's leading leg.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I keep forcing myself to go weak side forward/strong side back.
Do train like this. Instead of thinking of it as weaker side forward. Pick a few techniques that you can do well with your left side and then pick a few techniques that you are good at with your right side. This way regardless of what stance you are in, you are using something that is reliable. Can't throw a powerful punch with your left? Then don't, throw faster punches with your left. Can't throw a powerful hood with your left? Then don't. Throw an uppercut instead.

I rarely fight weak anything unless I'm learning a technique. If I'm working a technique then it's usually something that I know and could use in a real fight. If I'm learning then I don't expect much success, but I do expect difficulty in doing something that I haven't used before or used much of.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My right side techniques and my left side techniques are completely different.
This is what would make you a dangerous fighter, because fighting you while you are right foot forward is not the same as fighting you with your left foot forward. I think of it almost like a split personality. One side would be Mr.Sweeps and the other side would be Dr.hooks and neither one do the same thing. If I figure out your first 5 techniques then all you have to do is switch sides and I'll have to start all over again. Alternate sides and it'll take longer for me to figure out a reliable pattern.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
he correct width of a wrestling stance is your opponent's hand (or leg) won't be able to reach to your back leg.
Totally agree with this. This is also true against people who like to sweep and hook.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The correct width of a wrestling stance is your opponent's hand (or leg) won't be able to reach to your back leg.

During clinch, if your opponent's leg can reach to your back leg, you will be in trouble.

It's not always about wrestling though.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Do you know of any systems that teaches the weapon is held by the non-dominant hand?

Anarax

I was going to say basically what Frank Raud said about the military systems in regards to knife work. As to weapon based systems holding the weapon in the non dominate hand I don't of any.

In most of the FMA's that I seen, studied, or come in contact with the weapon hand is held in front. That said I have also run across schools (not styles) that keep the weapon hand in the rear so it won't get hit (as well as some other reasons). This sets up some different outcomes when engaging in stick sparring play (drills).

Personally I keep my weapon hand forward .

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As to weapon based systems holding the weapon in the non dominate hand I don't of any.

I'm sure someone with more expertise will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in Koryu systems, all swords are held right handed. If you're left handed, too bad. I believe that, historically, western swordsmanship also required everybody to fight right handed.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sure someone with more expertise will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in Koryu systems, all swords are held right handed. If you're left handed, too bad. I believe that, historically, western swordsmanship also required everybody to fight right handed.

Which of course, was great news for Clan Ceàrr or clan Kerr in Scotland, from which I decend.

My father, myself, and my son are all lefthanded.

Clan Kerr had a genetic predisposition to bred left handedness. Upwards of 35%.

The Kerrs have typically been associated with left-handedness, and the well known Ferniehirst Castle, near Jedburgh, with its unusual left-handed spiral staircase, is allegedly designed with this handedness in mind.

Spiral staircases were a clever defense in medieval castles.

They were almost always built with the spiral in the same direction (clockwise, when looking up from the bottom) so that the defending swordsman, who would either be coming down the stairs or backing up in reverse, could freely swing his sword.

Conversely, the attacking swordsman (ascending the stairs) would have his swing blocked by the wall. This, of course, assumed that both attacker an defender were right-handed.

Left-handed swordsman, though rare, had the advantage of surprise when attacking in the open in that they had generally trained and fought against more right-handed opponents than their adversary had fought left-handed opponents. Their attack when ascending a standard spiral staircases was also not blocked by the wall.

Scottish Poet James Hogg (1770 - 1835) wrote, in The Raid of the Kerrs:

But the Kerrs were aye the deadliest foes
That e’er to Englishmen were known
For they were all bred left handed men
And fence [defence] against them there was none

and Walter Laidlaw wrote,in The Reprisal (1900), celebrating the storming of Ferniehirst castle:

So well the Kerrs their left-hands ply,
The dead and dying round them lie,

the castle gained, the battle won,

Revenge and slaughter are begun.

Clan Kerr tartan:
tartanImagePrototype.jpeg

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Miyamoto Musashi, was probably left handed, but was trained orthodox. He developed his system of two sword fighting. As a very young man, he killed an opponent with a left handed blow, from either a sword or bokken. His right hand was holding a cane.

He was always switching up which hand was holding his katana and which one was holding the wakizashi, between different opponents.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not always about wrestling though.
You don't know whether your opponent is a striker or a wrestler. The chance is 50-50.

If your opponent can run his shin bone into both of your legs without having to move his rooting back leg, your stance is too narrow. A wider stance will prevent this from happening.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which of course, was great news for Clan Ceàrr or clan Kerr in Scotland, from which I decend.

My father, myself, and my son are all lefthanded.

Clan Kerr had a genetic predisposition to bred left handedness. Upwards of 35%.

The Kerrs have typically been associated with left-handedness, and the well known Ferniehirst Castle, near Jedburgh, with its unusual left-handed spiral staircase, is allegedly designed with this handedness in mind.

Spiral staircases were a clever defense in medieval castles.

They were almost always built with the spiral in the same direction (clockwise, when looking up from the bottom) so that the defending swordsman, who would either be coming down the stairs or backing up in reverse, could freely swing his sword.

Conversely, the attacking swordsman (ascending the stairs) would have his swing blocked by the wall. This, of course, assumed that both attacker an defender were right-handed.

Left-handed swordsman, though rare, had the advantage of surprise when attacking in the open in that they had generally trained and fought against more right-handed opponents than their adversary had fought left-handed opponents. Their attack when ascending a standard spiral staircases was also not blocked by the wall.

By the way I mean shocking in a good way. It's something new and unexpected.

Scottish Poet James Hogg (1770 - 1835) wrote, in The Raid of the Kerrs:

But the Kerrs were aye the deadliest foes
That e’er to Englishmen were known
For they were all bred left handed men
And fence [defence] against them there was none

and Walter Laidlaw wrote,in The Reprisal (1900), celebrating the storming of Ferniehirst castle:

So well the Kerrs their left-hands ply,
The dead and dying round them lie,

the castle gained, the battle won,

Revenge and slaughter are begun.

Clan Kerr tartan:
View attachment 21664
Most shocking information I've heard in a while. People usually don't talk about their ancestry line

I mean shocking in a good way. refreshing and unexpected.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't know whether your opponent is a striker or a wrestler. The chance is 50-50.

If your opponent can run his shin bone into both of your legs without having to move his rooting leg, your stance is too narrow.

That why there are zones that I deny my opponents access to. Nothing good will come out of someone entering my stance like that guy in the video did. A person can step either to the right or the left of my body but never in the center.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was going to say basically what Frank Raud said about the military systems in regards to knife work. As to weapon based systems holding the weapon in the non dominate hand I don't of any.
Same here. I've never heard of wielding the weapon in the non-dominant hand.

In most of the FMA's that I seen, studied, or come in contact with the weapon hand is held in front. That said I have also run across schools (not styles) that keep the weapon hand in the rear so it won't get hit (as well as some other reasons). This sets up some different outcomes when engaging in stick sparring play (drills).
My background is in FMA as well and I've never seen rear hand as the default posture taught at any seminars, schools or visiting instructors. Not saying it's "wrong", just I haven't seen it a lot.

Personally I keep my weapon hand forward .
I agree. My weapon is my primary(not only) offensive and defensive tool in a weapon altercation. Having it in front to deal with incoming attacks and closer(in front of me) to my opponent is my preference.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That why there are zones that I deny my opponents access to. Nothing good will come out of someone entering my stance like that guy in the video did. A person can step either to the right or the left of my body but never in the center.
To step your foot between your opponent's leg is called "enter horse" in CMA.

When I train that combo, after I run my shin bone on my opponent's leading right leg, when he steps back, I always have to advance my back left leg in order for me to use my right shin bone to run at his left leg. In one partner training session, my opponent had a "square stance". I found out that without readjusting my back left leg, my right leg could reach to his right leg and left leg at the same time. I then found out another weakness of the narrow square stance.

ru_ma_1.jpg

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My Kenjutsu instructor who trained some in Japan said the same thing. The old school Japanese systems/instructors don't usually accommodate for the left-handed.

I had a friend that grew up in Europe and she was forced to write right-handed even though she was left handed. She said her school teachers saw left-handedness to be a sign of the devil.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

If your opponent can run his shin bone into both of your legs without having to move his rooting back leg, your stance is too narrow. A wider stance will prevent this from happening.

But a too wide stance on an opponent makes it really easy to flick the front leg out and unbalance them.

A too wide stance personally makes my primary weapons (legs) much more difficult to access.

Latest Discussions