BS and the internal arts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taichi at its highest levels (100pc sung and where the opponent will only feel complete emptiness) will look completely bewildering.
When I was 11, my brother in law taught me how to train the "lighting skill". I dug a hole on the ground. The hole was so small that I could only bend my knee just a little bit. Everyday, I put myself in that hole and tried to jump out of that hole. I then made the hole deeper and deeper along my training. I was told that if the hole was on my chest level, and if I could still jump out, I should have no problem to jump on top of building roof (15 feet?). After 6 months of training, one day I asked my brother in law to show me if he could jump on top of the building roof. He couldn't do it. I lose faith and I soon gave up that training.

Even today, I still believe in "Seeing is believing". Something may work in theory, but in reality, it's very difficult to achieve. If someone said, "Somebody can do ...". I usually won't believe it until I can see it with my own eyes.

Last edited:

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KFW, I have seen and felt it. I am speaking from experience, not imagination. That single experience (and i have had a few over the years) will completely change the way you look at taijiquan.

I did not touch hands with the tenom dude in the earlier video but from the things he said and from the way he looked up close and demonstrated certain things, i believe he has also achieved it.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I want to add I have done absorb and off balance with my teacher who is 100 lb over me

I have done that with my teacher as well, but he is likely over 100 pounds lighter than me, about 6 inches shorter that I am and 20 years older....and he has no problem absorbing, what force I throw his way, redirecting what I do and making me fall down.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The (charging bull) running back also has velocity.
Momentum is mass times velocity, which is hard to absorb without causing injury, right?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The (charging bull) running back also has velocity.
Momentum is mass times velocity, which is hard to absorb without causing injury, right?

Yup, and in my case, the guy having his head down and not looking where he was going helped too. As did not being shall we say... sober....for lack of a better term

OP
oaktree

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Speaking of pushing I was teaching today and had the guys push me. I first just stood normally let him push me I mean push me back offering no resistance So they push me back far, good I say so we established that. So we talked about the observations:
1.The person getting close that's a problem
2.raising his hands second problem
3.As soon as the light touch and the force is about to be applied start the turn and the qinna of the arms and the pull and down he goes.
We discussed this if the opponent is bigger putting his hands and pushing back the moment we feel his touch we start to disbalance. But I want them to know to identify the three problems and how getting to close is the first issue. The issue with Tue push and this is about the sucker punch is the push back and then the sucker punch so we discuss that when we are being pushed back that as we turn the body to deal with that sucker punch set up

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting article on fajin. Real taijiquan fajin will not look 'logical' but will look 'magical'.

Yang Family Fajin by Adam Mizner - Discover Taiji

Look at how soft the masters are in the videos linked in the article.

Many people never acquired any jin so they have no jin to release. As such their fajin and push hands look like what is shown in the video below:

Last edited:

Latest Discussions