Bruised ribs

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My ribs are hurting. I took a kick to the chest then some one sat on me a while later. They haven't been feeling well.
Any advise on what I should do?
How can I keep traingin with out reinjuring them?
Thanks

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go to a doctor.

I injured my ribs once and continued training after only a short break and didn't go to the doctor. By the time I finally did the pain was chronic and still bothers sometimes a couple of years later. You need rest and time for them to heal. Training will be there when you get back. The world will not end, I promise. ;)

See a doctor, follow his instructions.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ribs heal slow and sometimes heal wrong. Get thee to a doctor pronto.

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I bruised my ribs once, and I hope it never happens again. After I saw the doctor, he let me know that the ribs will heal on their own over time. He said I could still go and train if I could stand the pain, but that I should avoid getting hit in the ribs for the next several weeks. Based on his explanation, movement helps keep things from tightening up too much. His main recommendation though was to keep breathing normally. He said that if I take to breathing very shallow to avoid the pain, it could lead to respiratory problems.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bruised my ribs (got kicked in the side of the ribs, felt the shock go thru to the other side, my whole torso hurt). I saw a western doctor and also an acupuncturist. It still took about 6 weeks before they healed. After a few weeks I could do some training, but I had to move slow and it was a while before I could move easily and comfortably again. Take your time, don't get hit again until they heal.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a doctor, I would say to take the time to let them heal properly; bump up your intake of vitamin C, calcium, and dark leafy greens while they heal, to give them a fighting chance at healing right. As a karate instructor, I woud say...get better at protecting them, and if they ain't broken, get back in the game immediately so that you're training while they are hurt. It will inspire you to develop better defensive skills if you have to guard them while they hurt more.

But I'm also a sadistic SOB.

Regards,

Dave

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bruised my ribs a few months ago. It took about 4 weeks to heal. Iceing them 2 times per day helped make them feel much better.
I took it pretty easy on them while they healed. Now I am back in action.
give it time to heal and try icing them!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was given a "rib belt" (like a huge knee brace; I talked about it a bit here) when I bruised mine in BJJ. It definitely helped.

OP
S

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advise. I took time to let them heal. I went back to training last thursday with no problem. Today I rolled a bit and felt a fairly painful overly farmiliar feeling that I really wouldn't have missed not feeling again. Apparently they hadn't healed up yet. Back to taking it easy for a while longer.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advise. I took time to let them heal. I went back to training last thursday with no problem. Today I rolled a bit and felt a fairly painful overly farmiliar feeling that I really wouldn't have missed not feeling again. Apparently they hadn't healed up yet. Back to taking it easy for a while longer.

Yeah, be careful and go slow. When I bruised my ribs, they were feeling "somewhat" better after about a week. I slept funny on them, streched out in an odd position, and they hurt all over again, back to ground zero.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
My ribs are hurting. I took a kick to the chest then some one sat on me a while later. They haven't been feeling well.
Any advise on what I should do?
How can I keep traingin with out reinjuring them?
Thanks

I'll agree w/ most people... Go see a doctor.

are you sure its a bruise and not seperated or cracked ribs?

Latest Discussions