Breathing in Kata

OP
S

Sauzin

This is a bit more controversial of a subject. I agree with what Shuri-te said but let me add a little.

Sanchin got the majority of its bad rap from people who, simply put, were performing it incorrectly. The kata is not as simple as tense up and breath real loud. There's a specific way, order, and grouping done with the tensing to prevent a lot of the injuries you would other wise incur. Hemorrhoids, back problems, heart attacks, strokes, and joint pains are among a few things that can occur if you don't know what you’re doing. Sanchin should not be practiced without a qualified instructor giving specific and detailed instruction.

On another note, I do believe that some degree of damage (what others would call conditioning) is done by practicing Sanchin hard. Like arm conditioning, Sanchin provides many martial benefits but takes a toll if practiced consistently for years and years. My instructor does not believe that Sanchin should be practiced hard over the age of 50. By not practicing "hard" I am referring to many people who eventually learn to practice Sanchin through "tai-chi" like motions. This does not offer the same conditioning, but can provide the same timing and power generation exercise.

Now you have to understand that there are some Go-Ju and Ueichi guys who will swear that we all have our heads up our rear ends. That Sanchin can and has been practiced as long as you live (100 + for Okinawans). They can sight examples of this being the case. I'm not here to disagree with that. Personally I think every person ages differently (especially Americans). I'm going to continue to practice Sanchin until by body tells me the toll is too great. If I never feel that way then, fine by me. But I'm definitely going to be listening.

-Paul Holsinger

OP
M

Mr.karate

Personaly I agree with what you are saying I just brought it up because it was something I read in an article and just wanted to know how others feal about it.

OP
S

Shuri-te

Sauzin and Mr. Karate:

Great discussion.

My information in my post above comes from Mark Bishop's text Okinawan Karate. I can't do it justice so let me produce most of his thoughts on the subject. In his section called Goju-ryu and health, he writes the following:

During the course of my research I met quite a few karate teachers who berated Goju-ryu for its general hardness and warned me to discontinue the training (which I eventually did) or face high blood pressure-related illnesses and a premature death. These critics gained much of their visual evidence from watching unskilled practitioners doing dynamic-tension demonstrations of Sanchin. In this exercise all the body muscles are hardened into one rigid structure as the sweating demonstrator performs the Sanchin moves as if pushing against a heavy weight, whilst being punched and kicked by an associate and issuing a loud guttural 'hiss'.

During the Sanchin exercise, I was told, certain blood vessels are shut off at the limb joints, the blood cannot flow freely, reverses and accumulates raound the chest, neck and shoulders causing a red flush in that area. Blood vessels of the neck and arms become swollen as the heart tries in vain to keep the circulation going and forces the blood up to the brain. The result of the exertion on the heart, blood vessels and internal organs is not considered by the critics to be good for the health and regular daily practice is said to be the cause of high blood pressure and obesity of Goju-ryu practitioners over the age of 40. Rumour has it that some older practitioners have difficulty lifting their arms higher than their shoulders.

Although this type of dynamic-tension Sanchin is fast becoming popular, I could find no really convincing explanations for its practice, apart from its being a crowd gatherer and somewhat dangerous body builder. Whether or not Chojun Miyagi encouraged dynamic-tension and the resulting overall hardening process of Goju-ryu is not clear, but the fact that premature deaths through illnesses associated with high blood pressure are common among Goju-ryu practitioners cannot be disputed.

I speculate that some Sanchin with dynamic tension was always practiced. But that is an important qualifier. Some. I think like anything else, some activities done in moderation can have health implications when done to excess.

Bishop also writes that "Practice at Higaonna's dojo was tedious with the first three or four years being spent doing Sanchin only and, although to those whe persisted Higaonna taught much, many students dropped out through plain boredom."

This to me says so much. Let's assume that this Sanchin did have dynamic tension. Done with intensity and high repitition, it is far less likely to harm young strong individuals over a few year period, than it would over a very long period, say 30 to 50 years. Second, it gave these students a great foundation in rootedness, power and balance, and finally, it weeded out those looking to learn how to fight, not those looking to study the way.

I personally think the practice of Sanchin kata, repetitively, over many years doesn't make that much sense. Of the 8 or 9 kata Higaonna brought back from China, (Some sources attribute Saifa to Miyagi) the "sanchin" movements (three forward steps, blocking and striking are found in four of them. (Seisan, Shishochin, Sanseiru and Suparenpei.) The closing motion (circular block) is found at the end of Saifa, Seisan and Kururunpha, and Suparenpei makes extensive use of it as well.

So if you practice the other kata, you achieve balance. All the movements of Sanchin, but rather than a lot of dynamic tension, just enough to get some benefit, but not, IMO, to cause health concerns. Because it is done so briefly, and then followed by normal karate movements, this just might not have any ill-effect.

OP
M

Mr.karate

For different styles things maybe different but in Chito ryu I have been taught that sanchin can be done once a day and it should never be done longer then seven minutes. Done this way it is said to be very healthy for a person. I also believe that people must realise that there is always going to be critics about every type of training that a person can do. To me sanchin critics saying it isn't healthy are just like critics of makiwara who say doing it can give you different things such as arthritis. In the end each person has to pick away of doing things that fits them best and fits what they believe.

OP
S

Sandifer

IMHO Sanchin is no less healthy for a person who power lifts. If you practice with too much tension I think you will find how damaging the kata can be. When I first learned this kata years ago, I was told never to exert more than 75% tension. Too much is unhealthy. My teacher said it caused him kidney stones from too much force on the inner organs.

Sanchin breathing in one regard is for toning the internal organs as well as massaging them to simulation certain actions within the body. Various stances and breathing methods develop and vitalize the various internal energy networks of the nervous system. (Among other things)

As well certain stances will also open and close energy channels in the body. Coordinated breathing and stances, and mental intention bring about several biological factors important to dealing with confrontations in a composed manner. In other words controlling the fight/flight response.

This is to say nothing of the development of tendon and muscle strength for the physical manipulation of the enviroment in a powerful way. (ie physically controlling your opponent or being controlled by him).

Strong breathing (Ibuki/Nagare) is like blowing on an ember within dry twigs or a bellows into a fire. You need it really hot if you are going to forge anything well. Just remember different breathing methods accomplish different results.

Sandifer M. Deer

OP
S

Shinzu

i breath in while moving and out when i strike. i studied shotokan in the past so i know what you mean. i also lived in hicksville NY for 22 years. small world. i know hempstead very well :)

OP
G

gojukylie

Being a Goju practitioner, I concentrate heavily on breath and the effects it has on my techniques. It is especially noticeable in Kata Sanchin as you are well aware but have you thought how your breath effects the timing of your movements. Especially in Kata Seeinchin. The breathing will contol your movements as follows,
In breath, - -- Withdrawing technique (chambering)
Out Breath ----- Forward technique (Punch eg.)

Kata Tensho, is a perfect example. (Flowing hands)

There are also different levels of breathing. According to Chi-Kung (chinese breathing) you have different depths at which you breath and they have different effects. Interesting reading if you chase up Chi-Kung text. It might answer more questions than you originally thought.:asian:

Latest Discussions