Breaking in a new chest protector

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our school doesn't require chest protectors but the tournment I will be competing in does. Needless to say its brand new and I have about 2 weeks worth of time. What is the best way to break this sucker in?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can also tie it around something when you aren't using it. Do you have a support pole or tree or something like that at your school or home to tie it around? even just lacing it up with no one inside it will help.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with both of my collegues here. I wouldn't recommend attaching it to a tree of anything else that might tear it. That may be a "no brainer" to you, but it dawned on me that someone might do it.

If you have a hanging bag, it might be a good idea to tie it on that, if you can. Kicking it there would break it in. Terry's idea of wearing it while training is excellent as well. You'll probably loose weight doing that, too.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the ideas mentioned. I will add this, smear some vasoline on it and rub it in. This will help soften it up. To break in new chest protectors you can always roll it up, then reverse and roll it up the other way, leaving it rolled up overnight each time.

I guess you could also beat it with a stick.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Workout in it everyday and take alot of kicks on it.

Yes, gotta get used to wearing it! probably makes a world of difference...

I don't have one, but I was about to suggest to put it over the bag (I was thinking wave master) and beat it up with a baseball bat. I didn't think I was anywhere near the ball park (no pun intended) with that idea, but kicking works, too, I guess.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, gotta get used to wearing it! probably makes a world of difference...

I don't have one, but I was about to suggest to put it over the bag (I was thinking wave master) and beat it up with a baseball bat. I didn't think I was anywhere near the ball park (no pun intended) with that idea, but kicking works, too, I guess.

That will also work, but by wearing it yu can get it to form to your body and it makes a great workout.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have one, so I wouldn't know, I was just being a smart alec... ;)

but wearing it is a definite must...I sometimes wear a face guard on my head gear (gotta have it for sticks and I am too lazy to take it off all the time) and it about suffocates me, even with the huge gaps in it...not sure if it's factual or imagined...but adding gear takes a bit time to get used to it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I now have visions of this guy standing there wearing his new body protector shouting at everyone kick me! kick me!
Us adults don't wear them at all but we have them for the children, sometimes when wearing them when sparring the kids are either swept or slip over and I'm sorry but the sight of a small child on it's back looking like a turtle unable to get up makes us all giggle even the stuck child.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree w/Terry that you wear it as much as possible to get used to it and to break it in. Also, you can fold a hogu and use it as a kicking shield-this helps when you are overheated from wearing it.

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above - wearing it is simply the best way you will get it to 'soften' and to mould to your body shape. Plus, if you're not used to wearing a chest protector then you need to practice your sparring techniques in it, that way wearing something you're not used to for a competition won't give you a hindrance.

Good luck for the tournament! :)

OP
T

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I laced it up super tight for about a week and it is still stiff as hell. I wore it today and find it very cumbersome to block but I'm sure I will get used to it in time. The tournament is this next weekend so I am hoping it goes well and I learn a lot. :)