subtleties of Pyonwon

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been doing Pyongwon for 2 years now & I noticed something for the first time today.

While watching the "official" KKW dvd, the first yup chagi has the hands by the waist. However, the second side kick (right before the elbow strike in the last technique) has one doing a palkup pyojeckchigi (extending one's left arm out while throwing the left side kick out).

While I have other dvd's with this form in it, no other mentions the extended arm during the left side kick. Is this a "new" change to the poomsae, or just a subtle change that's been added?

As the next technique is an "elbow target strike" having the extended arm makes sense to me.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge it's been like that for quite a while. I was taught that when I first learnt Pyongwon, and my instructor probably did too.

Also palkup pyojeokchigi isn't the hammerfist over the side kick, it's the move after the side kick. lit. elbow target strike

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that it is because they are two different types of elbow strikes. The second has the leading hand to trap the body into the strike.

I could be wrong, though. It has happened before, once I think, Ha Ha.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It makes sense to me that, since there is a elbow target strike after the last side kick, one's left arm should be extended. And since the elbow strike after the first side kick is an upward elbow to the chin, one need not have the arm extended.

My question is: "is the extended arm on the last side kick a new thing?" In some dvd's (Sang H. Kim for one) the extended arm is neither mentioned nor done. I only noticed it on the KKW dvd (after watching it many times) when I realized the arm extension was only done after the second kick & not the first.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the WTF Poomsae any time that an elbow strike follows a side kick, a hammer fist (parallel to the kicking leg) is thrown at the same time. (Taeguek 5, Taebaek and Pyongwon)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the WTF Poomsae any time that an elbow strike follows a side kick, a hammer fist (parallel to the kicking leg) is thrown at the same time. (Taeguek 5, Taebaek and Pyongwon)

Thanks Master Southwicke,

As I said it stands to reason. I just wonder why some dvd's omit it completely.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I learned the form with the extended arm on the last kick but not the first kick from my instructor, who learned it from his that way, so we've been doing it that way for quite awhile now. Maybe it is one of those things that used to be there, then got omitted and now is back...?

Latest Discussions