Breakfalls of Judo/Jujutsu

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, just asking because Judos going to probably be where i learn breakfalls from or something influenced by it. Just wanted to feel out the waters if i needed to try and make a conscious decision to go somewhere to learn break falls or not.

Edit: I have to ask, does BJJ do break falls? I know most of you might not know anything about them. The thought just crossed my mind.
The BJJ I've been exposed to (slim exposure) didn't have much by the way of breakfalls. Others here who have a lot more BJJ experience might have a different answer.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will get a kick on the butt saying we don't know about break falls lol ...ummm we kinda do lol hence the info you been given

Your gonna be a busy boy at last count your up to at least 6 arts your gonna learn lol
He wasn't saying we don't know breakfalls - but that we might not know BJJ's.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the original question, proper breakfalling technique is totally applicable to hard surfaces outside the dojo.

I don't care for the hard slap. I think it's unnecessary and even counterproductive on a hard surface. The most important elements are to relax, exhale, avoid impact on bony surfaces (especially the head), and absorb the impact over as broad a surface area as possible. Rolling is good when the situation allows it, but frequently it does not.
That's my take, in a nutshell, Tony.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
It’s perfectly possible to break fall and roll on concrete
You do need to make a few adjustments from the standard judo approach and of course it takes practice

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If this has been done before apologies.

Do the break falls in Judo work in the real world? By that i mean concrete, tiles, earth etc. Anyone have any experience of them being used/working outside of controlled conditions?
I live in Canada, icy, slippery conditions for months at a time. I have slipped on ice multiple times, done breakfalls without thinking and gotten up with either no damage or just some bruising. I was cleaning eavestroughs and fell of a 6 ft ladder, fell on my back, got up, repositioned the ladder and went back to cleaning the gutters. I have barely been in a physical altercation since I started martial arts 35 plus years ago, but the breakfalls that I have learned have been the most important physical skill for daily life that I have learned.

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Thanks for the replies. I now have little worry if any of them don't work from a official judo organization, makes me appreciate it a little more now, you always get the statement about them doing it on mats after all.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Chinese wrestling, we don't spend time to train break fall. The partner training already train the break fall at the same time.

Same in folk style wrestling. Unless you count doing rolls in practically every direction during warmups as actual training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Chinese wrestling, we don't spend time to train break fall. The partner training already train the break fall at the same time.

One of my instructors told me years ago, “You don’t have to teach falls and rolls. They will figure them out. Or they will quit because they didn’t. If you teach them, fewer will quit.”

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my instructors told me years ago, “You don’t have to teach falls and rolls. They will figure them out. Or they will quit because they didn’t. If you teach them, fewer will quit.”
My teacher told me, "If you can't treat your body as a bouncing ball, the wrestling art is not for you."

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

To me anyway it a necessity to teach breakfalls so they do come back, This is prob more Aikido specific but also teaching how to take ukemi is important to but that just me

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me anyway it a necessity to teach breakfalls so they do come back, This is prob more Aikido specific but also teaching how to take ukemi is important to but that just me
When my English teacher asked me to write "This is a book." 100 times, he no longer asked me to write "t" 100 times, "h" 100 times, and ...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you learned how to write a "T" when you are 5 years old, do you still need to practice how to writs a "T" when you are 80 years old?
I’d imagine it would help with Alzheimer’s, dementia, etc. I see and hear about this brain boosting stuff for the elderly like crossword puzzles, word search, sudoku, etc. I guess practicing writing would have some effect.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you learned how to write a "T" when you are 5 years old, do you still need to practice how to writs a "T" when you are 80 years old?

Going through the elementary school 5 times won't get you a PhD degree.
None of that is relevant to my comment, John.

Latest Discussions