Branches of Aikido

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi old sempai,

Whether or not the training is worth-while or what information is passed down is irrelevant...to me anyway.

If a tradition claims links to something of substance and credibility, it seems like they are grabbing for acceptance (if of course it's not true). It's not throwing stones at all. If a group of people claim a link to someone of Japanese budo fame, they should have enough to back up their claims when called on.

Regards,

Jay

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
:asian:

A careful look at the photos, obviously taken in a Japanese Dojo in the late 50's to early 60's when Mr Bowe was a very young man show the patches reading "Goshin Aikido." As for Kotaro being a teacher of Morita versus Takeda there are a number of things to ponder.

Morita was a farmer living on the island of Hokaido, [Japan's equivalent of a frontier area] and Takeda did teach his art to the police in Sapporo. And is also known as having traveled at taught throughout Japan.

Kotaro worked as an editor for a newpaper [the name eludes me for the moment] in Sendai, which is more than a stone's throw from Sapporo, and the rail tunnel between Honshu and Hokkaido was not even a thought in anyone's mind in 1925.

Finally, Uyeshiba is also known to have met Takeda while living in Hokkaido and studied under him around the year 1915.

So one can see the possibility of legitimate links existing for Morita Shodo.

Further, Mr Bowe held the rank of Shodan in Juijutsu long before he went into the Army and his profession since the 1960's has been that of an attorney. Therefore, it's inconceivable that he would fabricate a bogus link for the purpose of starting a new style of Aikido when the Uyeshiba style had been in existence since 1942.

Finally, there have been statements made that Morita had at one time studied Yoshikan. And in this regard let me offer the following. Approximately 6 years ago I forwarded an unpublished Genealogy of Aikido and Daito Ryu [listing Nihon Goshin Aikido in the charts] to Obata Toshoshiro, the last Uchi deshi to Shioda Gozo, for review. He later called me at home to thank me for the work. And a year later, upon meeting him in Canada at a Shinkendo seminar, he publically acknowledged this work along with my years of study in Nihon Goshin to a large group of other Aikido students also in attendance representing sundry forms of Uyeshiba Aikido.

:asian: :asian:

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score

In ancient Japan the method of grading and promotion for each Ryu was not always the same. Even in those ryu located within the same prefecture. Some used three levels for grading while others used five. Further, the practise of testing and promoting was not based on any seniority. Just as the passing on of the title of Daimyo, or that of appointing the oldest son as primary heir were not always followed. Therefore, its apparent that one could be awarded the rank of Okuden or even Kaiden without receiving a Menkyo Kaiden. But, not receiving this award would not diminish their knowledge, and in many cases a student would sometimes establish a ryu, title the art with a slightly different monicker and teach it all the same. Uyeshiba did this in the 1930's and it has been inferred that he and Takeda may have had some differences because of Uyeshiba's actions.

In another example of ranking and awarding Densho Yoshida Yoshida Kotaro is acknowledged as having worked as a secretary for Takeda Sokaku. However, he is also reported as having been accomplished in the art of Yanagi ryu [The willow arts of the Satsuma Clan], who by the way were bitter enemies of the Aizu and Takeda Clan during the Bakumatsu Wars that preceeded the Meiji Restoration. Yet, despite being trained in the arts of Daito Ryu, and being in position overseeing who would receive a Menkyo Kaiden, other records show that Yoshida Kotaro never taught or awarded any ranking to his only son, Yoshida Kenji, who passed on the arts of Yanagi ryu to Don Angier.

Further, another example of the politics involved in the arts within Japan itself occurred within the Daito organization and it went through a period of upheaval shortly after the death of Takeda Sokaku's son Takeda Tokimune.

Regards

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score

For the naysayers and cynics:

:soapbox:

On page 70 of the book, "A Beginner's Guide to Aikido" by L Reynosa & J Billingiere [JAB Enterprizes, R & B Publishing Company, Ventura, California, 2nd Edition, 1st Printing - 1988] is a "Family Tree" listing for Aikijutsu and Aikido Arts. Nihon Goshin Aikido is identified as a "Derivative Traditional" of the art of Aikijutsu originally taught by Takeda Sogaku.

Mr Reynosa, undertook the study of Aikido in 1974, when the art of NGA consisted of approximately 5 schools all located within 100 miles of New York City.

Mr. Reynosa a former student of Nobuo Iseri Sensei, was awarded Shodan by Takahasi Sensei. In 1983 he became a student of Steven Seagal, Sensei, in 1983, and remains one today, and also operates the Makoto Dojo, in Ventura California. Mr. Billingiere's Aikido profile closely parallels that of Mr. Reynosa, although he first began his studies in Aikido in 1983 under Reynosa Sensei.

OK - OK I'm done & off the :soapbox: !

T

tmanifold

A couple of things to ponder:

1 the term Aikido does not mean it has to be affliated with the Hombu Dojo. Aikido is simple a description "Meaning the way of Universal energy" (or some other translation but the point stands). Just like judo, while it is most famous as the style of Jigiro kano, he had to ad Kodokan to it because of previous arts be the name of Judo.

2. Takeda was an odd man who was often in trouble with the law and would have to leave various parts of the country rather quickly. It is concievable that this Morita character trained with Takeda.

3. At least this guy didn't try and pretend that he was the only true heir to Daito ryu.

4. He isn't the first to market his knowledge of Daito ryu with out a Menkyo Kaiden. Ueshiba taught before he recieved his and Hapkido is founded by someone with out any "paper" credentials.

5. old_sempai, you seem to have some issues with the Ueshiba style of aikido. Relax.

Tony

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score

Hi Tony:

No, while it may appear that I have issues with Aikikai practitioners, the reality is that I just get tired getting a sore neck each time I have to look up at foolish, self serving individuals sitting on their high horse of self-rightgeousness claiming they are the only ones that know the "Way". And enjoy the challenge of asking them where the term "Ai" came from, or have they ever heard of the verb "Awaso?"

As for Hapkido, my notes show that Choi, a Korean, as a child was given to Takeda and later when he was conscripted into the Japanese Army in 1941 purportedly founded this variant art.

T

tmanifold

Originally posted by old_sempai

Hi Tony:

No, while it may appear that I have issues with Aikikai practitioners, the reality is that I just get tired getting a sore neck each time I have to look up at foolish, self serving individuals sitting on their high horse of self-rightgeousness claiming they are the only ones that know the "Way". And enjoy the challenge of asking them where the term "Ai" came from, or have they ever heard of the verb "Awaso?"

As for Hapkido, my notes show that Choi, a Korean, as a child was given to Takeda and later when he was conscripted into the Japanese Army in 1941 purportedly founded this variant art.

As for Hapkido, yes that was what I was reffering to. And if he learned the techniques (and from what I know of hapkido it doesn't seem that far fetched) yet does not have an Menkyo Kaiden it is concievable that this Morita could be in the same boat. or maybe he learned some of the system but not enought to quite recieve certification.

Tony

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score

It was not uncommon in those times for a person to set up a local dojo, and not bother with registering or getting sanctioned by the Budokukai. Especially if someone did not received a teaching license. I believe that Uyeshiba did this very thing and this was the cause of the strained relationship that existed between him and Takeda.

However, with the end of the war and the limited lifting of the ban on martial arts many new Aikido schools came into existence and rushed to open since it was a source of income for many destitute Japanese of that day.

:asian::asian:

C

Caine

There is an Aikido style known as Nihon Goshin Aikido that is not an off-shoot of Uyeshiba or any of his students. It was founded in 1946 on the Island of Hokkaido by Morita Shoda who received a teaching license from either Kotaro Yoshida or Takeda Sokaku in 1925. It was brought to the United States in 1963 and currently has approximately 25 dojo's and about 5000 practictioners. It's generally not acknowledged by the O'Sensei schools [so much for Universal Harmony].:asian:

I don`t think it needs to be acknowledged by the Aikikai if it did not originate from O Sensei, it may have nothing in common with Aikido as we know it. Actually, the term Aikido did not originate with O Sensei either. It was a genereric term used by the Dai Nippon Butokukai to describe aiki arts. Here is an excerpt from an interview with Minori Hirai who was partly responsible for the name change:

I believe you played major role in the name-change from Aiki Budo to Aikido when you were a representative of the Kobukan Dojo to the Daí Nihon Butokukai (see side bar).

I was the Director of General Affairs of the Kobukan beginning around 1942 and I helped out Ueshiba Sensei in dayly matters. "Aikido", rather than being a specifically selected name, was the term used to refer to "Butokukai-Ryu", aiki budo within the Daí Nippon Butokukai. The headquarters of the Daí Nippon Butokukai was located in Kyoto and Butokuden centers were set up in all prefectures. Tatsuo Hisatomi from the Kodokan, and Shohei Fujinuma from Kendo, were close friends of mine. The Butokukai was an independent, umbrella organization for the martial arts, and it also was in charge of martial arts in the police departments.

Go here for further reading

http://www.aikidojournal.com/articles/_article.asp?ArticleID=738

C

Caine

Originally posted by Caine

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Minori Hirai who was partly responsible for the name change:

Apparently too late to edit, I should have written, partly responsible for the name change of O Sensei`S art.

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score

OK so here we go again, but before doing so I find it refreshing to find there are a few open-minded individuals on-board.

:soapbox:

It's noted on the site [www]Nihongoshinaikido[com]: "Morita Shodo learned Daito Ryu from an individual named Master Kotaro" [and I've noted that this gentleman was of the Satsuma Clan, once bitter rivals to the Aizu clan during the Bakumatsu Wars.]

But, I also posted on this site that maybe it was not Kotaro Yoshida, but a gentleman by the name of Horikawa Kotaro. His father, Horikawa Taiso, of the Fujino Clan was a student of Takeda Sokaku, but before studying Daito Ryu Horikawa Taiso had trained in Shibukawa ryu jujutsu and swordsmanship.

And after taking up the study of Daito Ryu, in an effort to remember the techniques he was taught by Takeda, he began practicing with his son, Kotaro. Upon learning of this Takeda was initially upset since Japanese Martial Arts customs forbade teaching techniques of a Ryu without a formal permission, and doing so considered a grave offense, and a serious insult to the Master of the Ryu. However, Takeda chose to overlook it because he liked Kotaro, and in 1914 Kotaro became his formal student. Because Kotaro was a slight person, similar in stature to Takeda, he was taught methods of performing the techniques suited to his size. The Kotaro received a Kyoju Dairi certificate in 1931, and later was awarded a Menkyo Kaiden [Master of all Jutsu from Tokimune Takeda. As a teacher, he preferred the old ways. He would teach a technique just once, and disliked repeating it or having to answer many questions, as did Sokaku Takeda. He passed on in 1980. With regard to Ryu’s and ranking systems the number of ranks could be as much as five: beginning with Kirigami - literally Kirigami no Menkyo [this term actually describes the paper on which the rank was listed], then that of Shomokuroku or apprentice, followed by Shoden [or Shodan if you will]- first step or novice, then Chuden - intermediate, Okuden - knowledge of the heart of the traditions] and Kaiden - knowledge of all traditions, with the final rank being Menkyo Kaiden - licensed instructor. However, there were other Ryus with a lessor number of grades, also starting with Kirikami [student], followed by Makimono [accomplished student], Mokuroku, and then Menkyo Kaiden [Master of all Jutsu] the highest grade. But, in these Ryu’s these titles also described the teaching license that had been granted as well! Furhter it was only after a highest grade had been achieved could the individual move onto pursuing training in other areas of study.

To return to Horikawa Kotaro, in accordance with Japanese customs he later changed his name becoming known as Kodo, and today his organization is called Kodokai.

Something else to think about!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

[BTo return to Horikawa Kotaro, in accordance with Japanese customs he later changed his name becoming known as Kodo, [/B]

What tradition is this? I know about emperors having their names changed after their deaths.

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score

In Japan an Era always began with the ascendancy to the throne of a new Emperor, and during his life would always be known and referred to by his formal, but unspoken name, and upon his death is referred to by his Nengo or "Reign Name." For example, in 1926 when Hirohito became Emperor he selected the reign-name of “Showa - Peace Made Manifest”. During his life no one would ever use or say the name Hirohito, he would simply be referred to as the "Emperor." Further, his year of accession, 1926, was styled in the Japanese calendar as Showa One with 1936, being Showa Eleven, etc., and throughout his lifetime he was known as Emperor Hirohito. But since his death in 1989, he is now known as Emperor Showa.

With regard to other name changes up until the end of the Second World War historical sources identify male members of a Samurai family as being considered an adult upon reaching the age of fifteen, with male members of a Noble family being considered an adult at age thirteen. Although other sources identify the age of adulthood within each group as being the opposite, 13 for Samurai and 15 for nobles. However, regardless of which view is accepted at birth a child was first given a “milk” name that they retained until the age of three, unlike Western beliefs a Japanese child was considered to be two years old after having survived their first year of life.

When a child reach the age of three [according to Japanese calculations] a second name was given and used until age seven when a final childhood name was bestowed until their later passage into adulthood. At this stage the last childhood name was discarded and a name made up of two characters was bestowed upon the male child. The first character of the individual’s adult name was always a hereditary one, and the second character was personally selected by the individual.” Once again it was found that some sources state the individual’s father selected the new name. Yet, regardless of the historical source cited, this adult name was bestowed upon the individual by their father or godfather during a special ceremony. Part of this ceremony included presentation of a Kao’, a special seal that was then used by the new Samurai for signing his new name. This right of passage also permitted the individual the privilege of selecting a different surname, if so desired, but the Uji [Clan] name was never changed.

Whenever, a Samurai or Noble family found itself without a male heir a blood relation such as a nephew or cousin or another male from an affiliated or allied clan, regardless of their age would be adopted. However, the family that this individual came from had to be one of equal stature to the family making the adoption. Upon assuming the surname of his new family the individual would often select a new name once again! The ability of a Samurai or Nobleman to select and use different names came from the exclusive birth right privileges of those belonging to either of these two classes. Until the Edo Period began this privilege was never available to anyone born into another social class. As a result many of today’s Japanese families only trace their roots back to the Edo period, the beginning of the 17th century when the cultural makeup became rigidly stratified into four major groups; the Nobility, the Samurai [Warrior], farmers and merchants, respectively.

The above are extracts from the unpublished book entitled:

“Shodan, Notes on the art of Aikido; Senju Aki Publications.
A subsidiary of The Daito Trading Company, LLC, Montague, New Jersey. With all rights reserved, and no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted
in any form or by any means electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior permission of the copyright owner.

K

Kempo Guy

Let's not forget about Yoseikan Aikido (also called Yoseikan Budo) by the late Minoru Mochizuki (a pre-war student of Ueshiba Sensei) and the Tendokan Aikido by Kenji Shimizu Sensei (a former uchideshi).

Also, within the Aikikai there are several 'lines' that diverge from the teachings of the late and current Doshu. The two styles that are most different from the traditional "Hombu-style" is the teachings of the late Morihiro Saito sensei, the Iwama-style; and the style of Shoji Nishio sensei (usually referred to as Nishio-style). I've only been to seminars were these styles have been taught, but there is clearly a difference between the two and hombu-style in the way it's practiced and taught.

For instance, Nishio style emphasizes the use of weapons (bokken and jo) and all techniques can be demonstrated using a jo or bokken (and of course empty handed). There is a strong emphasis on atemi (striking). Nishio sensei has also developed his own method of Iaido called Aiki Toho Iai, which has been recognized by one of the Iaido federations in Japan as a distinct and seperate line of Iai (ie. new ryuha).

Iwama Aikido seems to focus less on ki-no-nagare (flowing techniques) in the beginning and really stress 'proper' technique. Techniques are done static with proper kuzushi (breaking of balance) etc. There is also a Bokken (Aikiken) and Jo curriculum developed by Saito Sensei.

KG

K

Kempo Guy

I agree.
We can't forget Aikido's or rather Ueshiba Sensei's influence on Takumakai (one of the major Daito ryu branches) either.

If you look at one of Aikido's parent arts, Daito Ryu, you will also see it influenced an even broader base of arts. A couple of the more popular ones being Shorinji Kempo and Hakko Ryu Jujutsu.

KG

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
I agree.
We can't forget Aikido's or rather Ueshiba Sensei's influence on Takumakai (one of the major Daito ryu branches) either.

If you look at one of Aikido's parent arts, Daito Ryu, you will also see it influenced an even broader base of arts. A couple of the more popular ones being Shorinji Kempo and Hakko Ryu Jujutsu.

KG
Funny you mention this,
A while back, one Shorinji Kempo practitioner got real pissed at me when I mentioned that his art is influenced by Daito Ryu / Hakko Ryu and Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do. Well, people believe what they want to believe!

Salute,

K

Kempo Guy

I don't think you're the first one to have experienced this.
It's odd how some of these practitioners want to deny this part (i.e. Daito Ryu/Hakko Ryu) of their heritage, considering how obviously it manifests in their system.

KG

Latest Discussions