- Aikikai;
- Yoshinkan;
- Tomiki;
- Ki Society;
- Iwama;
- and others, many others I'm sure.

Yep. There is Yoseikan Aiki Budo

http://www.yoseikan-budo.org/

This is founded by Mochizuki Minoru sensei, a senior student of both Uyeshiba Morihei and Kano Jigoro. This group is now ran by Mochizuki sensei's son, Hiroo.

They do a mixture of Gyokkushin-ryu Jujutsu, Aiki Budo (Uyeshiba sensei's old Jujutsu system before creating Aikido), Katori Shinto-ryu, Karate and old Judo (Judo before sport Judo).

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the level of softness over hardness or vice versa is a very interesting topic. i believe that ueshibasenseis' aikido was softest at the beginning. not saying that ueshibasensei did not constantly improve himself, but that he started out softer where the majority begin more forcefully. aside from being a natural,
ueshibasensei learned the secrets of aiki from ma like daitoryu amonst others.
the balance of hardness and softness can be seen as one of the greatest secrets of the martial arts...question is/are :how hard does it get? even more mysterious, how soft does it get? talking about the extremes of different approaches to martial arts, combat and stife, communication.

while it is true that the aikido of most people as well as the general concept of aikido was initially harder. then as they progressed, they usually would come to rely more on internal forces in some instances gaining certain spiritual interpretation of martial arts, movement and communication in general.

looking for aikidogroup i would advise to search out the more internal aspects of aikido. it doesn't take much skill to knee someone and then perform some crushing lock whilst trembling and flushed.
the most skillfull aikido will be very technical and exact-though the danger exists that if the humanrelationships are not harmonious or loving, it can be unjustly dominant even unrealistic.
ultimately, aikido should be a demonstration of great control and skill. not power or destruction. there are plenty of other arts that will display bluntly destructive moves.

check it out. although everyone is learning and everyone has strength and weaknesses, the differences in various aikido types can be vast!! make sure you can all you can get, more importantly that you hook up with a good community that values fairness as well as truth.

j

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry double

having the chance to compete could be seen as a great way to maintain fairness and realism. on the other hand, the spirit of aikido does not force or even encourage competition. because competition of such a sort could in itself be seen as fighting, which is something that the true aikidoist shuns as it compromises ones spiritual and physical freedom. therefore, competition type 'fighting' could possibly ingrain bad habits as well as fear and confusion of reality, spoiling the perfect movements, not able to think ahead. if martial arts are languages, aiki should be a universal language of respect, harmony, distance as well as closeness. both physically as well as spiritually.

-not that the aikido prac. cannot handle a fight. philosophically put, there should be no fight. as saotomesensei says it's not a 'conflict spot' it's a 'communication spot'
fighting is spiritual. this may be too extreme for some but i believe that when we are not happy, our hearts are actually fighting and even inflicting damage to others and also ourselves.

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I belong to the Birankai. It is the organization that Chiba Sensei started. Of course, it is just one of many branches. Chiba Sensei has his own style, as do most of the Shihan who trained under O'Sensei. Eventually, we will all have a "style", but that doesn't mean it'll be a twin of the branch you started with.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I belong to the Birankai. It is the organization that Chiba Sensei started. Of course, it is just one of many branches. Chiba Sensei has his own style, as do most of the Shihan who trained under O'Sensei. Eventually, we will all have a "style", but that doesn't mean it'll be a twin of the branch you started with.
That's one of the most profound statements I've heard about aikido in a good while. I repped you for it, BTW. One of the key things to remember about the study of aikido is that since it doesn't deal in kata there are no truly "precise" movements in the art. Each and every movement must be adjusted for the incoming energy, body style of the attacker and for the abilities and personality of the aikido-ka. This makes the art a very personal thing. It becomes as much a part of you as you become a part of the art. This very fact explains many of the differences from style to style as many of the Shihan made relatively large changes to the basic ideas of the style when creating their own. The philosophy didn't change, just the way it was applied. The art is an ever evolving one and that aliveness, I believe, will allow the art to live on for a long, long time.

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's one of the most profound statements I've heard about aikido in a good while. I repped you for it, BTW. One of the key things to remember about the study of aikido is that since it doesn't deal in kata there are no truly "precise" movements in the art. Each and every movement must be adjusted for the incoming energy, body style of the attacker and for the abilities and personality of the aikido-ka. This makes the art a very personal thing. It becomes as much a part of you as you become a part of the art. This very fact explains many of the differences from style to style as many of the Shihan made relatively large changes to the basic ideas of the style when creating their own. The philosophy didn't change, just the way it was applied. The art is an ever evolving one and that aliveness, I believe, will allow the art to live on for a long, long time.

Thanks for the rep. Your post was very well put. I have been to many seminars and seen many Shihan and I can tell you that they are all just as much the same as they are different. I believe that when they walk around watching you do technique and they nod with approval, it is because they see that you have grasped the foundation of the technique. I believe that they know your own personality will mold the technique. Chiba Sensie does not want you to try and "imitate" him, but rather, make Aikido your own Aikido. He once said that we should never be stuck doing things the same way, but to always look for a better way. I never forgot that statement and I try and apply that to my training every chance that I get.

Latest Discussions